Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Going darker with semi-/demi-permanent color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any advice on coloring your hair darker with either semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color? I've had my hair (naturally dark brown but colored and highlighted blonde for years) darkened at the salon a few times but the color fades pretty quickly and am wanting to try a gentle version at home. I am hoping to go from my current medium blonde color back to a dark brown as painlessly as possible. Any info on brands, color choices, technique, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have done this a couple of times with mixed results. I am not a hair dresser, so this is just my personal experience. It is very tricky to go from blonde to a mid tone brown, the colour fades very quickly and does not turn out quite right. I found it worked better to go very dark with a mild permanent colour and colours with a mahogny/red tone come out better than ashy colours that can turn green when it starts to fade. Even with the dark colour, I found that I had to colour it all over again every two months, but I used a natural colour, so my hair still had some shine to it.
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
From what I understand when going from like a blonde to a brunette, you should get some sort of "filler" for the blond highlights, they sell it at Sallys. I know when I first had this done at the salon before I realized about filler, the color always faded so fast where my hair was highlighted. Now that my hair has all the old blonde highlights cut out of it, I don't have to worry about that anymore. After making a decision to do my own hair, I used to use Garnier to color my hair, but it was making my hair with too much reddish tones in it despite using an ash shade. I then started using Sally's Ion brand after reading fave reviews about it on makeupalley and I love that stuff! I use a combo of light brown and light golden since the shade turn out at least one to 1 1/2 shades darker than samples of hair there at the store. I used the golden blonde to help counteract all the reddish tones that were in hair from using Garnier and it worked. Also, make sure you use a great color protecting shampoo.....that plays a key role in keeping the color in!
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the help ladies. I read the Ion reviews on MUA (including yours dancar3) and am thinking I can mix one of their medium or dark brown colors with a 10 volume peroxide to make a mild permanent color that will hopefully not be too damaging to my hair. I don't mind if it's really dark; I just don't want the color to be "off", i.e. too ashy or brassy. I will check out the filler stuff as well while I'm at Sally's.

I have been using color-protecting shampoos and conditioners but I think I need to try a new brand. I'd been using the Redken ones but my hair still faded quickly. I just bought the Graham Webb color shampoo and conditioner but haven't tried them yet. A girl I work with who also colored her hair dark hasn't had nearly as much trouble with fading and just uses regular Pantene shampoo, go figure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I finally got around to dying my hair around a month ago so I thought I'd update in case anyone else was thinking about trying the same thing.

First of all I tried the Ion semi-permanent color in dark warm brown (the color that comes in one bottle, no mixing involved) and it gave me a beautiful color but only lasted two shampoos. Next I went for the Ion permanent color in dark neutral brown but only mixed it with a 10% peroxide with hopes that it would be less damaging. I know I originally said I wasn't afraid of going too dark but I should have listened to dancar3 because my hair turned out jet black. I washed several times with a clarifying shampoo but it was still black, just not quite as Morticia Adams black. Now that a few weeks have passed though it has lightened to a beautiful rich medium brown. I love it now. So I would recommend Ion but definitely get a couple shades lighter than you think you need.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |