Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Natural alternative to sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I have decided to give up on sunscreen for a while. I know this is a somewhat radical statement on this board Wink, but I have not had any luck at all for so long. Chemical sunscreens cause allergic reactions while physical sunscreens cause breakouts for me.

What I am looking for now is a good, natural, alternative to use on days where I am not staying outdoors. I am thinking of a natural day cream with ingredients like shea butter, carrot, lycopene, olive and other antioxidants to give my face some sort of protection.

Any ideas?
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
smoothskin i read here in a few threads that some people use mineral makeup instead on chemical or physical sunscreen........i dunno why it works as an alternative to using sunscrean....but maybe these users can shed some light into this as well as which mineral makeup can be used...is it it any Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Simran, thanks for the reply. The sunscreen in mineral make up is either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide which both cause break outs for me...
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Have you investigated Red Raspberry seed oil? I use i twice daily. Not sure I'd trust it on it's own but in your case it might be worth looking into.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't there some Helioplex pill you can take (or am I getting the name wrong?) that's supposed to help?

And hey, Smoothskin, I know I'm a zealot, but have you ever tried the Devita zinc-based sunscreen? It's surprisingly different than other physicals, and while most sunscreens make me break out, this one doesn't at all. If you ever just wanna try a small sample, PM me and I'll decant you a bit (since I don't think they have samples from the company).

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bluesheart, this is exactly the kind of information I am after. I will google to see if there are any creams featuring this ingredient. I believe shea butter also has some protective qualities.

Thanks Ginnielizz, I was raving about the Devita sunscreen in a review called something like "Finally a sunscreen suitable for every day use" way back. Since then, my skin has become much more sensitive, and I now want to take a complete break from sunscreens.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Aw, what a bummer! But I'm glad to hear you've at least checked it out. It's the only cream I know of that contains Rhatany root extract, which they claim has some anti-UV properties -- but maybe you could try making your own DIY infusion of this or something? Just another plant to add to your list, perhaps. Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing -- I'm sure others on here would love to know more (myself included!). Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I used raspberry seed oil on my neck last summer as sunscreens give me neck zits. It didnt feel greasy and seemed to keep my neck tan free but it stained my shirt collars so I have a yellow stain I cant get rid of. I havent tried bleach as I cant handle the smell.

Mineral makeup works great for sunscreen as long as you can reapply to keep the coverage or find one that is going to last the day in order to protect the skin.
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
The sun protection from mineral makeup is the same ingredients in physical sunscreens (zinc and titanium). If the problem of breaking out is caused by those minerals, you probably can't even wear mineral makeup.

Have you thought of wearing a face visor when outside and installing UV protective window film in you home and car?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I read something recently about a study that indicated that eating a diet high in fruits and vegs provided a level of sun protection, something to do with the antioxidants in these foods. Not sure how reputable or large the study was and no idea where I saw it now, sorry, but might be worth looking into?

Murad makes a supplement (pomegranate based if I remember right) which claims to offer sun protection. Murad supplements can be pricy though and there’s probably other options that are more cost-effective.
blackmamba
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
It depends on how natural you want and how high you want the SPF. Skyn Iceland has the Antidote daily quenching lotion in spf 15 that works really well. It's even good as a makeup base. It also won't clog pores!
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Madminerals sells a mineral SPF. It is approximately SPF 20+
http://madminerals.org/catalog.php?item=484&catid=121&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D121
You can sample them as well for $2.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 am      Reply with quote
If you are wanting natural sunscreen alternatives, consider boosting your body's internal sunscreen.. basically boosting antioxidant and bioflavonoid intake immensely and you will develop a constant and stable SPF on the dermis.

I am not entirely convinced of the SPF properties of plant derived ingredients, the testing is done on crude unrefined substances in laboratory conditions. There is no guarantee that whatever antioxidants are in shea butter, sesame oil etc even survive the extraction process. I have used raspberry seed oil daily for some period, and I really cannot comment its effects as an effective sunscreen.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:09 am      Reply with quote
If you in hot country,sunscreen cream is very important.If use sunscreen cream,you may use good cleansing oil to remove sunscreen and makeup.
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:16 am      Reply with quote
I know this will probably sound quite daft, but I gave up on sunscreen too (though i live in the hot brown country of Australia) - instead, I wear a hat that shades my face, keep my face out of the sun and minimise the amount of time I am outside. When I am working, I find that the amount of time I am actually exposed to daylight is about 10 to 15 mins tops. So I decided that sunscreen and the chemicals in sunscreen wasn't really worth it for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Hey Smoothskin! I read/watched a recent study on the news about the effect of green tea in reducing the probability of occurence. Not sure from where, but I think 2 cups a day reduced risk by 30%. Of course this doesn't mean the green tea can reduce the other downsides of sun exposure, but every little bit helps right?

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
rabbitpig
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
thinks for sharing the imformation.

Iam looking for a great sunscreen too..... Smile
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
There name of the pill that acts as sunscreen from within the body is Heliocare. Active ingredient in the pill is derived from a fern plant, which is natural.

Here is a description I got from one of the web sites that distributes it:

UV Sun Protection in Capsules
protecting solar skin damage from the inside out

Heliocare® is an oral dietary supplement with antioxidant properties which helps maintain the skin's ability to protect against sun related effects and aging.*

Currently Heliocare® (Polypodium leucotomos extract) is the only agent known to provide systemic photoprotection, making it a major scientific breakthrough in sun protection. Although topical sunscreen formulations provide varied levels of protection against UVB and UVA radiation and protect from burning, they cannot completely stop all harmful UV rays from penetrating the skin. Heliocare® works by sustaining the skin's natural ability to deal with sun (UV) related effects and aging.*

Here a link to a skin cancer blog: http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/07/23/heliocare-sunscreen-in-a-pill-fights-skin-cancer/
Tiffy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've read that seabuckthorn oil provides some sun protection, probably not much though. http://www.seabuckthorn.com/bar.htm
rabbitpig
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have interest to try some brand. Would anyone give me some advice?? Thx!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
Hi everyone, I have decided to give up on sunscreen for a while. I know this is a somewhat radical statement on this board Wink, but I have not had any luck at all for so long. Chemical sunscreens cause allergic reactions while physical sunscreens cause breakouts for me.

What I am looking for now is a good, natural, alternative to use on days where I am not staying outdoors. I am thinking of a natural day cream with ingredients like shea butter, carrot, lycopene, olive and other antioxidants to give my face some sort of protection.

Any ideas?
There is no alternative, sorry to say but thats the truth. If you're indoors maybe use a foundation with spf15 in it. You'll still get the protection even if you step outside for only a few minutes and your skin will look nice.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
If you are getting breakouts from the TD and ZO in the minerals try applying with a flocked sponge instead. I find using a brush cause microtears and the minerals get in so I get tiny little whiteheads. Flocked sponges apply better without any stress to the skin. Mineral Basics has an antiaging serum that has antioxidant properties.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
From my understanding there are many oils that are helpful such as: raspberry seed oil (have fun finding this one), sea buckthorn seed oil, sesame oil, shea butter, and rose hip seed oil. To what SPF I dont know.

Other interesting info is that if you have a diet high in Essential fatty acids such as 3,6,9 your skin will internally protect itself against UV damage.

I rarely wear sunscreen and I have FAIR skin. SOmetimes I will do the 5-8mins tanning beds in the winter to get a base tan. This totally prevents any burns in the summer. I do use oils, and take a ton of EFA!!!!
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Shock

I would NEVER go to tanning beds. It's too risky IMO. It seems that your skin is darkened by the UVA in tanning beds and "protected" from the sun but I don't think the increased melanin will prevent long-term damage that can lead to aging and skin cancer. The UV rays that help produce vitamin D are UVB rays, NOT the ones in tanning beds. So I don't think tanning beds have any benefit.

I agree that antioxidants (topical and in food) are good for general health and can fight free radicals.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:13 am      Reply with quote
Ditto what Sakura said. I've been using mineral makeup ever since I learned about it on this forum. It works so well that the sun hasn't touched my face in years. As long as I use a flocked sponge to apply it, it won't make my sensitive/allergic skin react. I've never been able to use a brush, though. (Thanks, Sakura, for explaining why. I've always wondered about that!)

Oh, and I don't know if this will help or not, but Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders have traditionally used coconut oil as a moisturizer and natural sunscreen. Supposedly that's why women in the Philippines tend to have great skin and age better. But I've heard that it has to be "virgin" coconut oil in order to work.

That being said, I'm having a hard time believing it because when I was young and used to bake myself on the beach, I used coconut oil to get a darker tan. Go figure. Confused

Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |