Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Loose Spiral curls
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 am      Reply with quote
My hair is naturally wavy.........but from alot of straightening previous couple of years....and now i dont straighten as much only 2-3 times per year...its leaning more towards the straight side with a few waves......more curly/wavy when it is wet though...but when its dry and looking straight it doesnt look that nice asian(chinese) straight.....cause my hair is thick and it just looks blaaa unless i get professionaly straightened than it looks nice...anyway but sometimes i want to create those looose spiral curls but not messy if you know what i mean......
any tips on how to acheive that look?

I have a curling tong.....everytime i try my curls tend to look messy.....also i would say the curls are smaller so id say its the wrong equipment......

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/aishwarya-rai/pictures/aishwarya-rai-picture-4.jpg
http://www.aishwarya.info/Photos/Aishwarya-Rai-Photo-227.jpg.html

i posted a picture above kinda....i would say similar loose curls but bit more glossy....

any ideas/tips on serums, equipment etc? Very Happy

hmmm aside from this if you can give tips on how to make my straight thick hair look glossy nicer id appreciate too....but i dont want to apply heat for maintanance of this cause i think that is now damaging....

i dont mind suggestions on equipments that use heat to create those loose spirals though....cause now that id do once in a while so i think it would be ok.... but the straight hair i have to live with everyday and it just looks dry thick and sometimes frizzy messy......ooh and by the way lol i know some people say they wake up with messy hair but id say i wake up with nice pressed waves and it looks nice lol but it doesnt last more than a hour from when i wake...crazy huh

thanx Very Happy Confused Confused

5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi there.

We have the exact same hair! Not sure what curling tongs are, but I use a curling iron. I have 3 different sizes. This works pretty well but you obviously cannot comb it. I also curl one strand twice (top and bottom separately), although this is the long way around. Then I put it up in a high ponytail (not tight though, usually tucking the bottom of hair into the band) while I do my makeup. It is best to barely finger comb when finished.

The pictures look like they may have done it with actual rollers. Curls may be too small for the orange juice cans, but smaller ones might do the trick. I would probably put them up on almost dry hair and leave them there for awhile, perhaps using a blow dryer at the end.

There may be better ways but that is what I would do for my hair. Can't answer the other questions but hope that helped!
newface
5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Check this out.

http://slideshow.ivillage.com/beauty_style/celebrity_hair_howto_winter/kristin_cavallari.html
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Check out the how to video on spiral curls

http://curlyhairsolutions.com/
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
My bf got me Sedu Revolution flat iron for x-mas, which can straighten as well as curl. I haven't tried the curling but the straightening is awesome. It doesn't snag my hair, and I can straighten my whole hair in 15 minutes. It's like combing my hair. The thing comes with a DVD instruction, so I guess it will show you how to do curls, too. I was reading review on folica.com where users were posting all raves about this new Sedu iron, and the ones that tried to curl their hair said it worked well. I thought this iron is cool since it is more versatile than just a flat iron that can only straighten.

For glossy, I think you should try Chi silk infusion. Also take more fish oil supplements. Do coconut oil treatment.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
LisaAnn wrote:
Check out the how to video on spiral curls

http://curlyhairsolutions.com/

Thanks LisaAnn on this link! I go to naturallycurly.com a lot but haven't been to this site yet. I'm still trying to accept my curly hair and learn how to handle it.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
vangurl

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have lived with it all my life.

These are the things that I have found that work wonders especially after having two children as I found my hair changes with my hormones.

If you want to achieve more of a spiral curl you will have to use a curling iron or curlers because your hair won't naturally make that spiral look. However, for a look that isn't that definitive the first thing to do is condition, condition, condition. Make sure that you add your product when your hair is still quite damp, rather than using your hands to "scrunch" use your towel (the microfibre one is my favorite) you can either use a diffuser or just let it dry naturally. I prefer naturally because my hair doesn't need any help in the frizzing department hence the "no hands" for scrunching. Once your hair product is in and you've finished the rest of your routine (make-up etc) add a little more product (if needed) and one last scrunch this reminds me of the Sarah Jessica Parker look without the "bigness" of her hair.

Hope that helps..

Also, Naturallycurly is the place to be with curly hair.
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 am      Reply with quote
You could also try heated rollers. And use a spray to help keep the curl.

I love her hair also.
ginderella
5% products discount

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
My fav thing to do is put some type of oily product on the lower half of my almost dry hair and then braid pigtails. You don't need any heat, it calms the frizzys and when you release the braids you'll have beautiful waves. You can mist lightly with water and braid again to sleep in and your hair will wake up frizz free.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 am      Reply with quote
wow great tips ya all....m gona try a few of thesee.....

vangurl...may i ask why "no hands" scrunch but towel is recommended?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I have spirally curls and love them! No curling irons, blow dryers or any of that for this girl!

I shampoo every other day and condition with SudzzFX Moxee and Aquafix. After rinsing out the conditioner, I apply a little bit of camellia oil and jojoba oil and comb it through my hair, then put it up in a turban. After about 5 minutes, then I scrunch in a homemade serum made up of seamollient and other oils. I let it air dry.

If I use more of my serum, I get that glossy wet look. With less of it, my curls are well defined and the frizzys are kept at bay. Every other week, I'll combine coconut and red palm kernel oil [supposedly the same oil in Ojon, but I'm not 100% certain of that] and apply it to dry hair and work it through. It takes a lot. Then I cover my head with a plastic grocery bag and cover THAT with a turban and leave it in overnight. [I place a towel on my pillowcase] Shampoo and condition the next day for unbelievable shine and softness.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I have found the quickest method for soft curls is the Bun Waves method. When hair is about 90% dry put it up into three buns. One at the crown and one behind each ear. When the hair is fully dry take down the buns and gently comb. Voila! A girl at my office wears the buns while she drives to work and then before she comes inside she takes them down and combs and she has perfect loose curls all day long.
vangurl

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I should have also noted that as a naturally curly "q" person I only shampoo once every ten days. I shampoo with my conditioner and then do another conditioning after the "shampoo" but my hair is so thick, course and a tad unruly (crazy curls is what my hubby calls me) that to wash even every other day would leave me extremely dry.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Me too i wash the hair once a week....at times twice a week if really necessary...i also have read time and time again that washing too much is actually bad for the hair and those magazines usually recommend twice at most for washing.

SlyphideNoir....i tried your three buns method today....but i had to wet the hair rather than wait for it to dry....i also put in some hair product while wet and oils combed then did the three buns.....id say say it did give me curls but it was bit frizzy too......and i left the buns about 1.5 hours before opening em. yep the curls did last all day. But i dunno which caused the freeze, maybe i wet it too much, or maybe the oil or hair product....and when i opened the hair after 1.5 hours it was still slight wet....although i dint wet the hair too much at least i dont think so.....lol frizz or not i did get a compliment today though

anyway the day before i did a test run for like 10 minutes just did 3 buns with my dry hair and it looked great. so m gona try this tomorow, no hair wetting, no oil no hair product and see how it goes Very Happy Laughing

thankx for this tip Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Last time I was at the salon the hairdresser styled my hair in spiral curls with a curling iron and it looked really nice. I bought a curling iron but have read that the proper way to use it is to curl from root to tip instead of starting at the bottom and curling up like I have always done. Does anybody out there do it like that? Any tips on how to use a curling iron like the professionals? I wish I would have paid more attention when she was doing my hair since now I can't seem to duplicate the look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.katrinakaif.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1113&fullsize=1

http://www.katrinakaif.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=937&fullsize=1

i love the curls in the above links!!! glossy without looking oiley and soo beautiful. The second one may be abit difficult to acheive unless professionally....but i like the first one its looose spirals and glossy Very Happy

by the way the link may not work unless you copy and paste in a browser

the three bun method is working well but i still yet to master it properly until i get the look i want Laughing

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hey all! I couldn't help but read some of the problems your having. I have a few suggestions that may help. Now,fyi, I will only suggest what I know for a fact what works. 'Cause I use it on my hair.
I have the type of hair that is thin and fine similar to the Chinese but has a little body. Anyway, if I towel dry,blow dry,or scrunch my hair is straight but if it is humid or rainy out and I'm in it it curls slightly.
I get quite a bit of static and frizz though and have found a few hair products that might help, especially for those with curly hair or hair like mine.

1) WELLA -has a serum that helps shine and that works well for the frizzing.It really isn't meant for frizzyness but it worked good.
2) Redken -also has a serum that works pretty good still meant for shine but helps with flyaways and is pretty good if you use heat as in a heating iron or stuff of that nature.
3) Wen by Chaz Dean- has two products that work great for my hair-the Wen Styling Creme and the Wen Texture Balm.

These products have worked great with my hair and I use to use the 1rst two before sticking to the third one.All of them do not weigh down your hair nor make it sticky or hard. It stays soft.

I hope that helps with anything. I will definitely try some of the suggestions that you suggested to curl hair.and hope to post results.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="kewlpanda"]

1) WELLA -has a serum that helps shine and that works well for the frizzing.It really isn't meant for frizzyness but it worked good.
quote]

Hey kewlpanda do you happen to remember the name of this serum as it sounds exactly like something I need for my hair.
Also what type of hair do you hair eg thick/thin?
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="simran"]
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/aishwarya-rai/pictures/aishwarya-rai-picture-4.jpg

quote]

My god this women is absolutely stunning!!
I love that style hair and the colour... if only my hair was as thick as it was a few years ago Sad
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
using a hair setter is your best bet to achieve that look. i have been after that kind of hair for a long time and learned how last year after experimenting with curling iron, flat iron and setter. if you want big waves you have to use 1"-1 1/2" hair setters. also using a smoothing lotion before hair drying is a good idea.. lots of brands out there, biosilk, chi silk infusion, i personally use got2b smooth operator lotion and it works well for me. i have asian thick hair thats not exactly stick straight as well.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 am      Reply with quote
smqueen, what is a hair setter?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of hair stylists to the stars showed me a trick to make spiraling, loose, cascading waves, but it's kind of difficult to write about it here. it involves a straightening iron, not a curling iron.
you wrap the hair around the iron from the root away from your face, toward the crown of the head. then make a spiraling motion as you move down the piece of hair.
and you will have loose, spiral waves that are exactly like the ones you see in those photos.

also, i cannot say enough good things about these:
Image which will give you curls like these:
Image if you put them in slightly damp hair, rolling up along the length of the tube and then securing them on both ends. spray with hair spray when all hair is set.
also, you can see the technique of curling away from the crown of the head, not toward your face, which is the technique that hair stylists use.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
avalange,

Do you know where I could purchase these? Are they available in the U.S. I'd love to get them for my daughter for Christmas.

TIA Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Songbird,

I don't know, I think you could get them at the local beauty supply!

Here is a pic of me with the loose spiral curls; I used the technique I mentioned above. Remember, I have very straight hair, so on curly hair this would really make very bouncy spiral-y curls.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:15 am      Reply with quote
they are hair rollers that heat up
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |