Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Does protein supplement help anyone else's skin, too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I began taking protein supplement recently, and I notice my skin especially the undereye (my problem area) is getting firmer. I don't see the tiny crepey lines so much now. I wonder if anyone else has positive results from taking protein supplement. Please share. I notice my hair is looking more glossy and starting to have bounce again, too. I don't know if it's all from taking the protein supplement, or also the cardio exercises and taking more fish oil religiously. But I am guessing it's the protein because it's the newest addition to my routine.

If you're taking protein supplement, what brand do you think taste the best and mixes well without having to use a blender? I'm currently using NOW Foods brand (strawberry flavor). It tastes great, but doesn't mix so well. I tried Twinlab that my bf bought, and it mixes more easily but still clumps. Tastes good, too, but not as good as NOW. I am going to try Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey in double rich chocolate flavor, and also Universal Nutrition Whey Pro in chocolate flavor. I was researching a lot about whey protein, and these two brands seem to have terrific profiles. According to most user reviews, the Optimum Nutrition is supposed to taste yummy, too.

So please share your thoughts if you take protein supplement.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there, you might want to try some Jay Robb whey powder. Comes in vanilla & chocolate and uses stevia as a sweetener. It mixes well--I put it in my morning fiber drink.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Chocolat. It does look good. I like the fact that it does not have any fat or sugar. Where do you get yours from?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend TrueStrength protein powder. It makes a really good smoothie. http://www.truestaronline.com/product_detail.asp?product=2447

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
All Whey proteins are not created equal. Only New Zealand Whey proteing is the purest form. The others have fillers that may cause some digesting problems. The Iso pro brand is the best and recommend by my personal trainer who just placed 4th in the world in female bodybuilding. I think she knows what she is talking about. The brand can be purchased at any nutrition supplement store.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
I recommend TrueStrength protein powder. It makes a really good smoothie. http://www.truestaronline.com/product_detail.asp?product=2447

Yen, it says on that web site you provided that one would use protein for weight gain? Oh no, I hope not. I don't need to gain any weight. What on earth!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:31 am      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
All Whey proteins are not created equal. Only New Zealand Whey proteing is the purest form. The others have fillers that may cause some digesting problems. The Iso pro brand is the best and recommend by my personal trainer who just placed 4th in the world in female bodybuilding. I think she knows what she is talking about. The brand can be purchased at any nutrition supplement store.

Hi Bugaboo,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep an eye out for it, but I have not seen this brand at any supplement store I visited so far (GNC, Vitamin World). I'll look it up online. I jurt ordered Universal Nutrition Ultra Iso Whey for my bf. It's 100% whey isolates, and got no fat or sugar and 24 g of protein per scoop. It must taste bad. LOL

Does protein cause bloating?
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Protein can cause gas which could contribute to feeling bloated. I've only found one protein powder that didn't and I found it by accident. I'm not sure why it doesn't cause me to feel bloated and gassy. For me, I do best with starting my morning with a protein shake. It helps to regulate my blood sugar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
bugaboo wrote:

Hi Bugaboo,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep an eye out for it, but I have not seen this brand at any supplement store I visited so far (GNC, Vitamin World). I'll look it up online. I jurt ordered Universal Nutrition Ultra Iso Whey for my bf. It's 100% whey isolates, and got no fat or sugar and 24 g of protein per scoop. It must taste bad. LOL

Does protein cause bloating?
It can cause bloating/gas if your body is not used to it. There are different types, Rice, soy, whey, hemp. Whey is perfect if you are weight training but comes from dairy so it may be hard if you are lactose intolerant. Protein will make you gain weight as any extra calories will. This is supposed to be a meal replacement and is better because most don't contain added fats or sugars that will make you fat. Only protein builds or maintains muscle that keeps you in shape, firm and burning more calories even when you are sitting still! Very Happy
By the way the Iso Whey from Interactive nutrition was at GNC in Canada anyway.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 am      Reply with quote
My favourite is Transform plus by Genuine Health, it is tasty and easy to use, no blender required as it shakes up really well.
http://www.genuinehealth.com/english/pbn/index.php?id=23&section=121
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh...all that bloating must be from taking proteins twice a day. I cut back to just AM now. Hopefully it will help to reduce bloating.

I found this Ultra Iso Whey that I was talking about with 0 fat, 0 sugar, and 100% whey isolates. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_uv147.htm

Bugaboo, how does that compare to the one you bought in Canada in terms of nutrition profile?

Dalhi, I could not find the protein from genuine health from the link you provided.

Thank you.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Ahh...all that bloating must be from taking proteins twice a day. I cut back to just AM now. Hopefully it will help to reduce bloating.

I found this Ultra Iso Whey that I was talking about with 0 fat, 0 sugar, and 100% whey isolates. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_uv147.htm

Bugaboo, how does that compare to the one you bought in Canada in terms of nutrition profile?

Dalhi, I could not find the protein from genuine health from the link you provided.

Thank you.
That one doesn't mention the protein grams per serving. The one I mentioned has per 35gram serving: 130 calories, O fat, 1 gram Carbohydrate and 31 grams of protein with 4 plant enzymes for digestion. Did I mention you are supposed to have 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I found Jay Robb at my local Vitamin Shoppe. The other day I found some in a new Oliver's Market here but that might just be a California chain.

Here's the Jay Robb website:
http://www.jayrobb.com/jayRobbProtein.asp
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:

Thank you.
That one doesn't mention the protein grams per serving. The one I mentioned has per 35gram serving: 130 calories, O fat, 1 gram Carbohydrate and 31 grams of protein with 4 plant enzymes for digestion. Did I mention you are supposed to have 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight.

I read that on Optimum Nutrition 100% gold whey's directions. However if I follow that, I'll have to take 103 grams a day. I would be so bloated. Right now, each scoop of NOW foods whey gives me 26 grams and I'm already bloated. lol

http://www.vitacost.com/Universal-Nutrition-Ultra-Iso-Whey-Protein

I found the Ultra Iso whey cheaper at vitacost. It gives you 84 calories per scoop. One scoop gives you 20 grams of protein. Yours sounds great. 30 grams of protein per scoop is awesome. I like the fact that it got 4 plant enzymes to help digest the protein.

Does anyone see any difference in your skin after taking protein? Am I just imagining the improvement? LOL
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Yen wrote:

Yen, it says on that web site you provided that one would use protein for weight gain? Oh no, I hope not. I don't need to gain any weight. What on earth!

I don't think they meant weight gain in the sense that you're thinking of. I wouldn't want that either. Laughing It's more in the sense of building muscle mass.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl
Just noticed that mine is made in Canada and probably not available in the US. I think that your body get used to the whey protein, at first it really bloated me all day and now I can have it twice a day with mild bloating that only lasts a couple of hours. Makes me feel full anyway. My hair, skin, nails have never looked better but I'm sure the new skincare program has helped alot too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:48 am      Reply with quote
bagaboo - I'm glad you noticed the diff in your hair, skin, and nails. I thought I was imagining it. I'll keep on taking the protein.

Just to update, the Universal Nutrition Ultra Iso Whey arrived. (I bought it for my bf since he likes the fact that this protein got 0 fat, 0 sugar, and only 84 calories per scoop.) I tried it. It tastes like chocolate milk but a thinner consistency. It mixes very easily compared to my NOW Foods whey which clumps a lot no matter how hard I stir. The Universal Nutrition Ultra Iso Whey does not clump at all. I am not a big chocolate fan, so I might try vanilla next time. It doesn't cause me as much bloating as the NOW Foods, and I wonder if that's because it's 100% Whey Isolates. Isolates is supposed to be the highest quality protein, and they use the ultrafiltered processing technique (very low temp). Vitacost has the best deal on this one, 2 lbs canister for $24.10. If anyone found a better deal, please let me know. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |