Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Right, you guys, I need your expert advice!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:18 am      Reply with quote
I need some serious skincare and make-up advice from all you guys out there...Mabsy & co get your thinking caps on, because I want serious help! I'm due to get married in 3 months and I want to:

- get my skin in tip-top condition

- buy suitable make up products as I want to do my make up myself.

First, let's talk skincare! I have normal/combination skin and I currently use most of the Decleor range and I've found this to help control my tendency to break-out in spots. Also, I've found that Epidermx microdermabrasion is doing wonders for my skin. As I have a tendency to break-out, I really want advice as to which products will prevent this. Also, if I do breakout, which products would be best as emergency spot care treatment? Question

Now make up. I want to head to the shops to purchase my wedding make-up. I need recommendations as to which is the best quality long-lasting make-up. Especially, foundation. Plus, which smudge-proof/water-proof mascara would you guys suggest? And what about Blusher and the best long-lating lipstick?! (I have olive(ish) skin with yellowish undertone, by the way).

I have LOADS of questions to ask you guys about skin care and make-up...please feel free to give any advice or purchases that you would recommend.

Thanks Laughing
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:00 am      Reply with quote
you sound like you are doing ok on the skincare front, but my one piece of advice would be, don't use anything new or drastic in the 2 weeks prior to the big day in case you get a break out or bad reaction....especially don't be tempted to have a peel mask, cause I have heard that they can go wrong and take months to heal Rolling Eyes

Congrats btw!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:08 am      Reply with quote
No problem! Love to answer your questions! And congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

This is only one of many opinions you'll get. It sounds like you have a lovely complexion with the occasional breakout. For the breakouts, definitely a BHA (beta hydroxy)to open up the pores and clear it out! But it has to be in a formulation that will do the job. Paula's Choice will do that at cosmeticscop.com. For the rest of your skin Elizabeth Grant serums will give 24 hr hydration and alleviate the lines somewhat on your neck. You will have 100% moisturization and plumped up skin. You can watch her today on Shop At Home 2 pm pacific time.

As for cosmetics definitely a mineral line like Jane Iredale or Pur Minerals. Mineral makeup will last and not budge. From lipstick to foundation you can't go wrong. Hope this helps!
VegasGirl
5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I can add to the emergency pimple question -- whenever I get one I wash my skin and rub some Clearsil Total Control "Acne Crisis Clear Up" into the pimple and then I put a big glob of the stuff on top of the pimple overnight so that it can harden. I swear it cuts the life of my pimple down to about 3 days total instead of 5 days. I was thrilled to find this product -- works better than prescription stuff I've tried.

In terms of covering up the zit, remember to use a very light touch. I dot Neutrogena "On the Spot" blemish concealer over the top of the zit then pat face powder on it ONCE to set it. Too much powder actually makes it stand out more. So press the powder on top of the zit with concealer just once and you should be good to go. Also, be careful in picking the right color of concealer for the zit. It shouldn't be lighter than your skin tone since lighter colors make things look bigger. NOT what you want with a zit Shock

I got married 7 years ago and did my own make-up as well and I think the best advice I can give on the make-up is to not go trendy. Those pictures need to stand the test of time and you don't want to cringe 10 years from now looking at those photos because you chose the style of today for make-up and hair. Choose classic styles and you won't go wrong. And remember to balance your look. If you do heavy eye make-up then go light on the lips. If you do red lips or a deep color lipstick, then go light on the eyes and blush. As for foundation, you'll probably want to choose a matte finish so that shine is at a minimum in the pictures.

Good to luck to you -- what an exciting time!!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
On the day of your wedding, avoid a foundation with Titanium Dioxide. It will make your skin look ashy and even look worse in photos. Also avoid a pink-toned foundation. A yellow tone will most likely look more natural.

-Cheri
Mabsy

Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations on the wedding! Very Happy

I also think you're doing well on the skincare front and if the products you are using now are working for you then there's no need to stop. It's good to have an emergency spot treatment on hand though, just in case. I use MDF Clearing Complex and find that it works really well. I also use the MDF Clearing Complex Mask about once a week just as a preventative measure as well.

In terms of make-up, I'm afraid I won't be of much help here. I tend to use very light foundations or just tinted moisturisers. I also don't use waterproof mascara. However, in terms of blush, I have found that the longest lasting ones on me have been the loose powder ones. So both the Laura Mercier and the Bare Minerals Warmth. I also like Nars pressed powder blush and the Stila CC blushes but I don't think they are particularly lasting. In terms of lippy, again I don't use long lasting formulations as they tend to dry out my lips. However, I remember I once had a Guerlain lipstick that lasted absolute AGES on my lips. There are also special 8hour formulations (liquid lipstick + clear gloss over the top) that do live up to their name. I tried the Max Factor one before and it lasted all day (ended up with dry lips though). Another option is to maybe try out a lip stain. YSL has lip markers like that, as does Stila and The Body Shop too I think. They're a bit hard to apply evenly but once they're on the pigment lasts ages. They're not shiny (obviously) so you do need to put some gloss or lipbalm over the top.

HTH
Mabsy
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, you guys. I'm really grateful for your input and trust your judgement too. Thanks so much Wink
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I just want to Congratulate and extend my Best Wishes to you and to your fiance!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
...forgot to say, avoid YSL touche eclat if you are having any flash photography...you will develop a scarey reverse panda eye effect. I know, I have the photos to prove it! (well I did, untill I trashed them all Bad Grin )

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Darn! I'll bet everyone would like to see those panda eyes. You just spoil our fun Laughing
JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Really? That's so funny, I was just about to go out and buy touche eclat as a key make-up item! Thanks for the advice Wink
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I have to agree with the post of not trying anything new, esp zit treatments. Usually acne medication has strong ingredients and you never know if your skin is sensitive to it or not. I didn't know I can't use 10% bp (was using 2.5% with no problem). It took 5 months to completely heal the chemical burns. If you have to use something new, please do a patch test first.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |