Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What are your makeup pet peeves?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use lipliner daily - but can't help but snicker at those women with the huge obvious line, usually a completely different colour to the lipstick. Or worse, they add lipgloss to it in the morning, but it has worn off a couple of hours later and they walk around all day with nothing but a big brown line drawn around their mouth .
On a personal note, I hate that there doesnt seem to be ANY skin makeup that doesnt accentuate my lines. I'd like to even my skin tone, but not at the expense of showing up lines that arent even noticeable before I put on the foundation Mad
lynnec
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I can't stand little girls who wear makeup. At the school I work at there are 9 year old girls wearing foundation, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow, liner, mascara and lipstick EVERY DAY. I don't even come to work with all that on. And of course none of the colours are right, and it's badly applied. I liked to play with my mom's makeup with I was little, but she would NEVER have let me out of the house in it.
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ha! Not to mention the clothes they wear!
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 am      Reply with quote
i used to live in japan and it freaks me out how women shave off their eyebrows and just draw them in!!!!
also for awhile it was in to have really clumpy clumpy mascara, in the magazines they show you exactly how to apply it to look like it Sad
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 am      Reply with quote
i dont like when the neck down doesnt match with the face..........ie the face looks weird white red then below. you can tell those lot have picked the wrong foundation trying to look lighter Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
lynnec wrote:
I can't stand little girls who wear makeup. At the school I work at there are 9 year old girls wearing foundation, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow, liner, mascara and lipstick EVERY DAY. I don't even come to work with all that on. And of course none of the colours are right, and it's badly applied. I liked to play with my mom's makeup with I was little, but she would NEVER have let me out of the house in it.

I used to smear on my grandma's bright red lipstick cuz I wanted to look like Lucy Ricardo from I Love Lucy. lol. She would let me go out of the house with it on (I looked like a clown) but I was still a little girl who didnt take makeup to the extreme that the 9 year olds you are talking about have. They need some parents to help them be little carefree girls again. They are missing out on being little by trying to be too grown up, and thats sad. Crying or Very sad
Hannah-Louise
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
lynnec wrote:

That's horrible! The best thing about childhood is that most children have 100% perfect skin!

I know this is going off thread, but what I really admire is when women have a certain makeup style that suits them and they're happy with it. Women who's makeup changes as soon as a new fashion comes out bug me so much! The thing with fashion is it can be SO ridiculous and no one seems to notice!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
My pet peeves are all of the above and:

1) Glitter on anyone!

2) Eyehadow in the same color as your outfit- ie. if you are wearing blue, yellow and purple outfit, and then you match your eyes to it- especially if you don't blend and have the half the eyelid blue, half yellow and then purple in the crease....shudder.... even worse- adding a lipstick just as bright as your eyeshadow

3) Lining your lips with a dark brown or burgundy lipliner while wearing a much paler lip stick (i.e eminem's ex wife Kim!)

4) Putting so much clear gloss or frosty gloss over your lipstick that the person looking face to face at you can see their own reflection.

5) Wearing frosty matte lipstick when you have really wrinkly lips or chapped lips - gloss or moisturizing non-frosty lipstick looks better.

6) Putting eyeshadow just below your eyebrow- especially really frosty white colors, or worse a color matching your outfit

7) Wearing so much mascara that your eylashes look like tarantulas

Cool Not wearing mascara when you have put something on your eyes like eyeshadow or concealer and that product is stuck to your lashes- making them look dusty.

9)using a concealer that is too light for your skin so it's obvious that you are concealing something.

10) streaky foundation from not blending it properly.

OMG, I'm such a cow! I can't beleive I had so many makeup pet peeves until I started typing!
CG
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:

1) Glitter on anyone!

2) Eyehadow in the same color as your outfit- ie. if you are wearing blue, yellow and purple outfit, and then you match your eyes to it- especially if you don't blend and have the half the eyelid blue, half yellow and then purple in the crease....shudder.... even worse- adding a lipstick just as bright as your eyeshadow

3) Lining your lips with a dark brown or burgundy lipliner while wearing a much paler lip stick (i.e eminem's ex wife Kim!)

4) Putting so much clear gloss or frosty gloss over your lipstick that the person looking face to face at you can see their own reflection.

5) Wearing frosty matte lipstick when you have really wrinkly lips or chapped lips - gloss or moisturizing non-frosty lipstick looks better.

6) Putting eyeshadow just below your eyebrow- especially really frosty white colors, or worse a color matching your outfit

Cool Not wearing mascara when you have put something on your eyes like eyeshadow or concealer and that product is stuck to your lashes- making them look dusty.

9)using a concealer that is too light for your skin so it's obvious that you are concealing something.

OMG, I'm such a cow! I can't beleive I had so many makeup pet peeves until I started typing!
CG

Hahahhahaa, many of these are my pet peeves too, and I hadn't thought to list them. I particularly hate when people wear shadow or powder but no mascara and have that pale, dusty lashes look. Gah! And the wrinkly dried-out frosty lipstick look is horrendous.

You know, I have to admit, I sometimes match my shadow to my outfit. But only ONE color, and usually pretty subtle, just around my lash line. No clown-creases. (And if it's too bright a color, I'll layer taupe over it to tone it down.) I hope I'm not breaking your rules! Shock I'd hate to be someone else's Glamour Don't, haha.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Canadian Girl wrote:

1) Glitter on anyone!

CG

Hahahhahaa, many of these are my pet peeves too, and I hadn't thought to list them. I particularly hate when people wear shadow or powder but no mascara and have that pale, dusty lashes look. Gah! And the wrinkly dried-out frosty lipstick look is horrendous.

You know, I have to admit, I sometimes match my shadow to my outfit. But only ONE color, and usually pretty subtle, just around my lash line. No clown-creases. (And if it's too bright a color, I'll layer taupe over it to tone it down.) I hope I'm not breaking your rules! Shock I'd hate to be someone else's Glamour Don't, haha.

Oh I do match my eyeshadow sometimes too! But just like you, it is very subtle and only one color! I hate it when someone has the rainbow over their eyelids! Yes the dusty eyelids- if you took the time to put everything else on- just put on a coat of mascara, or wipe the lashes clean! My SIL does this all the time!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have a pal who does the no-mascara thing, and she's also a fan of white (pearly) eyeliner or shadow. So it makes the effect even MORE pronounced! I don't know what she has against mascara, it's weird. Ah well, you won't catch me with shadow + bare lashes! All or nothing for this girl.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
My mother did the drawn on brows for years. She's finally growing them in. Now to get her a tweezer.

The dark liner people shoule be arrested. I think really dark lipstick in general is ridiculous. It doesn't look good on ANYONE.

When women at the makeup counter wearing tons of makeup are telling me how to take care of my skin and what make up to wear. Sorry.

The jawline drives me crazy and I have done it. Oops. I have since learned to cut my foundation with a luminous moisturizer.

Puffer mouth...live in so cal...so common. Just have thin lips.That only makes you look like you are trying too hard.

Biggest PET PEEVE....Women who don't try AT ALL!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
esq wrote:
Biggest PET PEEVE....Women who don't try AT ALL!!!!

You know, as mean as it may sound, I kinda agree. I mean, sure, we all get our scrubby day passes -- there are days when I don't even glance in a mirror. But those are days when I'm just lounging at home, or working out, or running errands -- nothing that requires a nice appearance.

But over the holiday break, I met my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, because she's now married to one of his best friends. (...That's a whole other thread, haha -- don't get me started.) And naturally, well, meeting the gal he used to date, plus a bunch of his buddies from way back when, well, I wanted to look my best, ya know?

So I dolled up a *little* -- i.e. my normal (light but flattering) makeup, a nice top, jeans, and nice shoes. And we all got there to go out, and this gal was just... she couldn't try LESS if she tried. I actually felt kind of bad having dressed up, because she saw me and she went and changed her shirt before we all went out. But NO makeup, some major skincare issues that went unsolved (really REALLY bad chronic acne in a very bright red flareup kinda way), and not a brush through the (totally un-styled and un-cut and split-end-ridden) hair.

I don't mean to judge, I don't, I swear I'm not a mean-hearted person... I just seriously can't imagine not *wanting* to try harder to have a nice appearance. I absolutely delight in being a girl, and in the free pass it gives me to enjoy taking pride in how I look. And I feel really bad for guys who are straight, but have to put up with dumb labels like metrosexual or who get made fun of for being gay or whatever, just because they want in on our fun. Laughing I just can't picture not wanting to try at all -- totally foreign to me.

And even some of my friends who are lesbians of the more "butch" variety are still into their looks to some degree -- it's just in a different way. They may not go gaga for lip gloss, but damned if my friend Jill didn't take four hours to select the perfect masculine-but-still-flattering leather belt, haha. We all have our vanities... well, I guess most of us.

'Kay, way off topic, sorry. But I have to say that I agree -- while women who don't try at all aren't my pet peeve, exactly, they completely and totally mystify me. More power to them if they're happy not lifting a finger, but I love my obsession and the results it produces! Cool

BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
On other people my pet peeve is blush. Some people don't know that you are supposed to actually BLEND the blush. They just put a line of it on and don't blend it. It looks really obvious yet I don't feel right telling them about it. Then other women wear WAY too much blush that their whole face looks red and they look like a clown.

I don't like obviously fake eyelashes either. And I don't like it when older women with very thin dry lips wear super dark matte lipsticks. No offense to anyone, I just think it makes them look worse and makes their lips look even thinner while drawing a lot of attention to them. Anyways.

On a personal note, my own makeup pet peeves are lip colors most of all. How do people wear lip color and go about their day normally? I guess I just eat way too darn frequently to bother wearing lip color daily. I often find myself getting ready in the morning and then grabbing for my lip liner or lip gloss and stopping myself. I'm like, I'm about to go eat breakfast, why would I put lip color on that is going to come off on my food? It is so annoying to be eating an apple or something and seeing bits of my lipstick on the apple and realize I'm eating it. I now always take my lipstick off before eating anything. So more often then not I just skip lip color during the day. It's not practical.

On normal days I usually wear the min. makeup to look ok. Concealer, a little eyeliner and a touch of lipgloss or lip balm. It makes a huge difference for me. I don't really want to look made up on a daily basis at the small office I work at, I just don't want to scare myself when I look in the mirror. Cover the dark circles, blemishes and uneven pigmentation and the bit of eyeliner is to define my otherwise too bare and homely looking eyes. I go this way even to the gym and it doesn't come off cause it is so minimal and not a full face of makeup and color.

However, even with a lot of makeup on, I can't make myself look that different. It drives me crazy. When I do want to look glamorous, it never works. I guess that is my pet peeve. It all seems to sink into my skin and doesn't stand out. Everything seems to fade so quickly and my skin eats the makeup or something.

This other girl in my office, never wears any makeup except when on camera or going out. She looks like night and day with and without it. I'm actually surprised that she doesn't at least wear a little bit of makeup on a daily basis. It would help a lot. I'm always shocked to see how homely and washed out she looks after seeing her look so gorgeous and glamorous. I guess I don't understand why she doesn't try at least a little on a daily basis. I guess because I do and wouldn't want to be seen like that. And esp. if it made that big of a difference for me I would. I'm so jealous of girls who don't need a stitch of makeup and still look great.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:

On a personal note, my own makeup pet peeves are lip colors most of all. How do people wear lip color and go about their day normally? I guess I just eat way too darn frequently to bother wearing lip color daily. I often find myself getting ready in the morning and then grabbing for my lip liner or lip gloss and stopping myself. I'm like, I'm about to go eat breakfast, why would I put lip color on that is going to come off on my food? It is so annoying to be eating an apple or something and seeing bits of my lipstick on the apple and realize I'm eating it. I now always take my lipstick off before eating anything. So more often then not I just skip lip color during the day. It's not practical.

Hey BYRG, I totally agree about lip color -- but I switched to stains recently, and I have to say I'm quite happy with the transition. Check out the thread I started here about a bunch of different stain options -- you just might find a lip color solution that doesn't drive you crazy! (Or you can always just do a search, of course.) Smile

And I know what you mean about skin eating makeup -- for me that's better now that I use an eye shadow primer and a longer-lasting mascara, but for a while my eye shadow barely lasted an hour!

felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:12 am      Reply with quote
i don't like mascara because it would be a mess when i rinse it
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
felinehhy wrote:
i don't like mascara because it would be a mess when i rinse it

not sure if this would help but I take off my mascara first. I take a tissue..not a cotton ball threads seem to tangle in my lashes(Another pet peeve)...moisten it with Nuetrogena Oil Free makeup remover..then press down on my lashes for a few seconds. Then wipe up the excess under the bottom lashes, remove shadow, then wash my face. That seems to keep the mascara from becoming a total mess.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I really don't like it when people wear heavy powder, especially if they are starting to get that peach fuzz that comes with age, in the light it just emphasizes it so badly.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
BYRG wrote:

Hey BYRG, I totally agree about lip color -- but I switched to stains recently, and I have to say I'm quite happy with the transition. Check out the thread I started here about a bunch of different stain options -- you just might find a lip color solution that doesn't drive you crazy! (Or you can always just do a search, of course.) Smile

And I know what you mean about skin eating makeup -- for me that's better now that I use an eye shadow primer and a longer-lasting mascara, but for a while my eye shadow barely lasted an hour!

Yeah, I totally need to get a primer.

Thanks about the lip stains. I hadn't thought of that. I usually just use mineral makeup like Jane Iredale. If I wanted a natural stain I guess my options would just be blueberries or raspberries or something. Laughing
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hehe, I actually really want to work on a stain that contains only natural pigment. I think that would be lovely. But yeah, the options are kinda limited there! It would probably be made of beet root to get enough pigment, so unless magenta flatters your skin tone... Laughing

BumbleB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I was one of "the ones" that didn't lift a finger to try anything. I was in a ... I dunno - we'll call it a -.... for a few years and I pretty much rejected trying to do anything about my appearance. I was borderline hermit-ish in my behavior so I wouldn't have to face the embarrasing "meeting the husband's ex or someone I know he finds attractive" situations.
Ugh...I must have been a load of fun to be around. Rolling Eyes

I am all done with that! So - here I am, and dangit I have alot of damage/ neglect to undo! I am sooo done with being on the "don't" list. Laughing
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
oh thank god! an outlet for my daily pain haha!

-heavy black eyeliner during the day
-orange fake tan all-over
-eyeshadow that isn't blended properly (and is spotty as a result)
-splotchy blush!
-girls that are wearing wayyyy too much makeup for their age (i see a lot of this on my university campus)

sigh.. i'm sure the list could go on forever!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
This is the worst - dry, cakey make-up that has changed to a different color than ones area without make-up. Ironically, when my skin is bad my make-up looks cakey in the area with blemishes.If anyone has some suggestions that would be wonderful.
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Painted eyebrow's, because they went plucking happy and Dark outlined lip liner. yuck!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I realize this is an old-ish thread, but I simply couldn't resist. Laughing

On the bus to work the other day (yes, I live in Europe, and people actually take the bus!) I saw a teenage girl who was so (badly) made up that I simply couldn't take my eyes off her. I guess she wanted attention, but she got mine for all the wrong reasons.

To make it a list:
(1) overly bleached hair, slightly yellow, and of course tousled and quite damaged

(2) Pink (!) foundation, in a shade too light for her skintone, and thick layers of it

(3) apricot blush, which seems to be The Big Thing among teenagers here; only so sad that nobody actually looks good in it (going on orange)

(3) Thick layers of black mascara=>spider legs

And to top it all: opaque, dark blue contacts.

I had to concentrate not to stare.... Rolling Eyes

Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |