Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin care help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
michealjackson
5% products discount

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I need some help with my face. I currently just wash my fash with salt and water and then apply clearasil lotion with SPF 15. At night I wash my face with just warm water and then apply a ACV toner. If I use soap (Dove) I tend to breakout really bad. I'm a 17 year old male with oily skin, I got some milia under my eyes, blackheads on my nose, and a couple of acne and acne scars. I don't have any money to visit a dermatologist either. I was wondering if there was a good product for me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
agee
5% products discount

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
IMHO Dove soap would be a real no-no for any face. Most drug stores have clerks in the cosmetic dept who could help you find a decent cleanser, and a toner to follow.
Shop around and maybe you will find help there. Good luck!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
From your regime. I think it's not good enough for your skin. Warm water is also bad to skin. I suggest you use water which not too cold and too hot for washing your face.

In the evening, you should add cleanser such as jojoba oil or baby oil before secondary cleanser for completely clear your face from residue it cause acne.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Use a gentle cleanser like SpectrolJel or
Cetaphil.

If you can, order the Clay-Neem Treatment by Earth to Body. It's an amazing deep cleansing mask. www.earthtobody.ca Their Emu-Neem soap is also amazing for cleansing the skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can consider Neutrogena's gentle moisturizer... It's very reasonably priced and works well for sensitive and or oily skin.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:19 am      Reply with quote
It sounds as though what you are currently doing is drying your skin out - this then causes skin to become oilier and breakout (to compensate for the drying products being used).
You really need to get hold of a good cleanser, toner and moisturiser...perhaps check the forums for review of some good male products suitable to problematic or combination skin. It is worth the money if you get good skin as a result Smile
michealjackson
5% products discount

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys! I did some research and found that a lot of people like Cetaphil, so I went out and bought some stuff. I bought the Cetaphil Cleanser normal to oily skin, and the Neutrogena HEALTHY DEFENSE daily moisturizer with SPF 30. I haven't tried them yet, I'll try them tomorrow. Do you think this would be good enough? And what should I use for a toner? Would the ACV toner be good still? Also what would I do about my milia and blackheads or will Cetaphil get rid of them?
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:14 am      Reply with quote
i could do nothing for you , i only could hope you could find the solution sooner Smile
Hannah-Louise
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think exfoliation helps get rid of blackheads, but I don't have much trouble with them so I'm not so sure.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Did I read correctly that you said you wash with salt and water? This may be irritating and / or drying out your skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
my teenager is using the PSF acne mud which doesn't cost too much. You only use a little bit. He only uses this at night and leaves it on overnight. It is clearing up his blackheads and his big, red angry acne really well. The milia will go with proper cleansing and not overmoisturising - don't use the salt and water and don't clog your skin up too much with too much moisturiser - use only about a 8mm squirt for your whole face.
bluepacific
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
When washing with salt, I hope you are not rubbing your face too hard... That can be really damaging...
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
i have done my fair share of skincare research, oh my goodness. i have struggled with acne since i was 12. i've had cystic breakouts, blackheads on my nose, whiteheads.

when i was 20 (a year ago), i went on accutane. it was a godsend for me. i wish i had done it sooner. in 5 months it cleared me up and i have had pretty clear skin since: every so often a pore gets clogged but i just put on some benzoyl peroxide and it heals quickly.

the best knowledge i've gained from my many years of acne was: you can't treat your skin harshly. this is why proactiv did not work well for me: too many bad ingredients put on my skin.

here is what my regimen looks like:
morning
face wash: aveeno daily exfoliating cleanser
toner: reversa 8% glycolic acid toner
moisturizer: jason naturals 25000 UI vitamin e cream
spf: neutrogena dry touch spf 45

night
face wash: life brand gentle cleanser (same as cetaphil)
toner: same as above
moisturizer: same as above

my saving grace is the glycolic acid toner. it is a gentle exfoliant that actually serves to moisturize your skin as well as clear your pores. reversa is great (sold in canada) because it uses time release technology in order to avoid skin irritation. above all, i would recommend seeing a dermatologist.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
When I've acne,my doctor suggess me use water or cetaphil cleanser,I'm also scrub every week.
Perhap I use iore Self-Heating Mask. www.drugstore.com/qxp92378_333181_sespider/biore/self_heating_mask.htm
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Cetaphil is good. I think the one for normal to oily skin is better than the original one, since the latter has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which can dry out and irritate some people's skin. Be careful with this when you go shopping for a cleanser next time. I think any of the Neutrogena cleanser (no SLS but can have Sodium Laureth Sulfate) is good too since you are a guy and doesn't need to remove makeup.

I would suggest exfoliating weekly NOT daily, otherwise it will be too much for your skin and it will get worse. So don't use anything with exfoliating ability daily.

Perhaps you should skip toner and make your routine as simple as possible. ACV is a bit too acidic to use in the AM. You could consider something with BHA at night. It should be more effective in clearing the pores.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 am      Reply with quote
After about a month and a half of using Cetaphil day and night. My skin is still kinda bad, but a little bit better. I still got a couple of pimples on one cheek, and then the other one I have like two. I still have milia and some blackheads. My forehead and chin have these like little bumps that are like flesh colored, that I think are whiteheads, and have a couple of little pimples. I was wondering if I should go to one of those spa places to get a facial? It kinda sounds too girly though and I'd be embarrassed kind of? Do men/kids go there? Am I too little to go to those spa places? I need something to get rid of my milia, they're really bugging me. Should I go to a dermatologist instead of that spa place? How much would it cost to go to a dermatologist/spa? Would I have to make an appointment first or can I just walk in? And do I have to go in with an adult/parent or can I go in alone? I really wanna get a better looking face. Crying or Very sad
michealjackson
5% products discount

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Should I keep using Cetaphil or get something else?
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
HI!
I too am a guy who dealt with acne as a teen, well i still am somewhat. But just like you i thought that products and caring about my skin was perhaps something to "girly"!Now i'm proud of caring for my skin. But if you feel that you need to go to a spa or dermatologist you should go! I would probably recommended a dermatologist though, they deal with all types of acne and it may be more cost effective. As for cost (in canada) you could ask your family doctor for a referral to a dermatologist and medical plans normally cover that. I have no problem going into spas or buying skin care coz at the end of the day it matters most how you feel about yourself and if having clear skin will help you feel that then its worth it.(and on a side note, lots of spas have tons of male clients.....its pretty huge now the skin care business for men). The derm i saw put me on retin-a micro and its helping alot. Also let your doctor know that cost is a issue and they may give you lots of samples which last a really long time.
Just remember that acne is a medical condition and that it requires the same ammount of care as aything else, it sounds like your doing a great job getting started and i think a visit to a dermatologist will put you on the track to healing.
p.s i think a facial is the most relaxing thing in the world...and totally worth it!
michealjackson
5% products discount

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Matherton wrote:
HI!
I too am a guy who dealt with acne as a teen, well i still am somewhat. But just like you i thought that products and caring about my skin was perhaps something to "girly"!Now i'm proud of caring for my skin. But if you feel that you need to go to a spa or dermatologist you should go! I would probably recommended a dermatologist though, they deal with all types of acne and it may be more cost effective. As for cost (in canada) you could ask your family doctor for a referral to a dermatologist and medical plans normally cover that. I have no problem going into spas or buying skin care coz at the end of the day it matters most how you feel about yourself and if having clear skin will help you feel that then its worth it.(and on a side note, lots of spas have tons of male clients.....its pretty huge now the skin care business for men). The derm i saw put me on retin-a micro and its helping alot. Also let your doctor know that cost is a issue and they may give you lots of samples which last a really long time.
Just remember that acne is a medical condition and that it requires the same ammount of care as aything else, it sounds like your doing a great job getting started and i think a visit to a dermatologist will put you on the track to healing.
p.s i think a facial is the most relaxing thing in the world...and totally worth it!

Thanks, never knew a lot of men went to spas. I'll try to schedule an appointment with my doctor soon. Would getting a facial clear up my face a lot? And would they also remove my milia? Also, would I need to go in with an parent/guardian?
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think it depends on what they use for the facial, the best thing may be to find a spa you are interested in and either call them or email them and tell them the results you want and see if they can help with that. I dont have milia so i'm not sure about what works for those. Did you check out http://www.cosmeticcop.com/ it may help helpful articles if you check under skin care facts.
michealjackson
5% products discount

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I was thinking of buying the One Step Face Cleanser Normal to Oily/Combination Skin and the 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion samples. It seems like they have a lot of great stuff.
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, i have used both of those products and they are great plus they don't irritate my skin which is nice!
michealjackson
5% products discount

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Would SkinCeuticals Daily Sun Defense SPF20 be a better sunscreen then the Neutrogena one I'm using?(Neutrogena HEALTHY DEFENSE daily moisturizer with SPF 30)Also anything I should be using for my scars?
michealjackson
5% products discount

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that I've got a couple of atrophic and discoloration acne scars.
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:13 am      Reply with quote
I think Neutrogena is pretty good for people with oily skin. A lot of their products contain salicylic acid which can be good for acne prone skin. They're really affordable too
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |