Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Benzyl Peroxide?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tashallegra

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi could people please give me some advice on the negative or positive effects of benzyl peroxide.

I have had bad breakouts for the past five months and have tried md formulations, yonka, murad, neutrogena and micro dermobrasion treatments and no clearing untill..i tried pro active. Pro active cleared the acne but now ahs started to cause a dermatitis like reaction with my skin flaking off heaps around my hairline!

advice please!!!
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am      Reply with quote
you can google it . I know clearasil neutrogena has products this ingredient.
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Honestly, I wouldn't consider Benzyol... I have very, very mild acne and I find it's way too strong and drying, even at a low percentage - 2.5%.
I've used it for a couple of months by using Proactiv, I swear, it made my skin WAY WORSE. NO matter how many celebrities rave about Proactiv on TV, it has definitely worked against me.

Talk to your derm or any laser centre staff about prescribing you some Vitamin A creams - like Retin A or Tazorac, they work WONDERS.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 am      Reply with quote
BP dries your skin out causing premature ageing and your skin also develops an immunity against it so after awhile it doesn't work anyway.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've used BP steady for about the past 10 years, it's the only over the counter product that will work on my acne. I don't have a problem with it drying out my skin, I only use it on my forehead and I use a moisturizer always.

I'm currently using Dan Kern's gel which is really great, it's a generous size at a great price.

http://www.danielkern.com/
tashallegra

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
My beauty therapist recommended md formulations which hasn't really helped yet! I just bought the adult acne kit and giving it another go.

What I was really concerned about is the bad effects of benyzol peroxide on the skin as I have googled it and found a lot of adverse reviews and recommendations against it.

Most professional skincare lines seem to use salcilyc acid for acne treatment instead.
vangurl

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I find the best thing for the skin with breakouts is a natural AHA.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tashallegra

I've used a couple of benzoyl peroxide products and found that they are unsuitable for my skin, drying, itching and a little redness on the areas which I applied the product. I found that BHA's work a little better than benzoyl peroxide. But I have still not yet found a product which 100% clears and controls my acne.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
tashallegra wrote:

Most professional skincare lines seem to use salcilyc acid for acne treatment instead.

Yea I wished this worked on mine, but it has absolutely no effect.

I did get a script for some Retin-A from my doctor so I have high hopes for that.
elsiej123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I find BP drying too. I like saliyacic (spelling?) acid if my skin is ABOUT to produce a pimple.

I only use the Pro-Active clay mask on an existing pimple at night when no one can see me (well, my husband has cracked up laughing once). Will dry it up overnight or at least make it more manageable.

Has anyone tried that pimple machine? Zenon or something like that?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 am      Reply with quote
a couple of years ago i tried proactiv. biiig mistake. the cleanser contained salicylic acid, the toner had some sort of BHA, and the nighttime solution had benzoyl peroxide. initially, i followed the directions and applied the solution to my entire face, whether or not i had any acne. i broke out on my chin in particular: there was not an inch of skin not covered in cystic acne.

after my course of accutane, i was told by my dermatologist that bp should be used only after a pimple appears. the ingredient is quite harsh to use on clear skin. i use clean and clear's persa gel 5 (that is the maximum bp content that is permitted in products sold in canada) and it works like a DREAM. if i have a particularly problematic pimple cropping up, i will apply a layer, let it dry, then apply another. the change is noticeable when i wake up.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on this for two-three years.It really helped my skin to the point where it was super clear.One catch though-as long as I kept using it.Every time I tried to quit-face went into complete rebellion.The worst part about this is that it is toxic for your liver and can cause liver cancer.It doesn't say that on general brand bottles-but if you get yours from a pharmacy they will give you a brochure that states that danger(and its not because there is a higher percentage of it in there,it's because prescription lotions and potions are required to have that).Sooooo my advice-don't Very Happy I am currently using la poche rosay and it has been working wonders.without the bp.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tashallegra,
I used benzoyl peroxide for years for my acne and while it kept me clear it seemed to age my skin immensely. I have since found out that is a pro-oxidant (as opposed to an anti-oxidant) and very bad for the long term health of your skin. For the last year I have been using prescription Tazorac gel. It works really well for acne and has the added benefit of being very good for anti-aging.HTH.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm used to use PanOxyl on face skin several minute,it's make my skin irritate and turn red.
Nowaday I use benzac2.5% which is water base in the evening before clean my face.After that I use Clindamycin on the pimper.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |