Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For those of you who have had roaccutane...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
What skincare products did you use? I'm in the UK and have been looking at Liz Earle, something quite natural, moisturising but still aimed at problematic skin. Any suggestions?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I would suggest that you ask the derm who has put you on the roaccutane which cleanser to use. You do need to be reasonably careful.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
hi there... i'm assuming that you're discussing the generic version of the drug "accutane"? i was on this drug a year ago.

i used cetaphil cleanser on my face as well as cetaphil moisturizer. i made sure to use a very moisturizing body wash (aveeno) to avoid dry body-skin. i did not use any acid or peroxide on my face... my dermatologist told me to let the medicine do its job. OH also: VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!! i used a daily spf 45 sunscreen on my face. very important to shield your skin while on accutane. i went through a course in the wintertime, which was better. my cousin did hers in the summer, and she had to be incredibly careful.

again, talk to your dermatologist about this. he or she is the best source of information.
Moonface001
5% products discount

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi. You have not said how long you have been on the roaccutaine (not sure about spelling). The reason I ask this is because at first it may seem that it is not bad at all and you may think that the side affects will not happen to you. You may be lucky and only get mild side affects, but this is what I had wished some one had told me when I was on it.

Read any information you got about it and listen to your doctor or dermatologyst. The side affects while on it are very real, such as dry cracked skin, sun sensitivity and especially the depression. Luckily I did not get depression on it but a person I know did. It was bad to the point that he was taken off roaccutane and put on anti depressants. So if you feel down or unlike yourself it is very important to take it seriously and talk to your doctor.

I ended up getting very sore eyes that would be dry one minute and watering the next because they were compensating for the dryness. So get to a chemist and buy eye drops if this happens. Wearing sun glasses or glasses also helps as it reduces air flow from air conditioners and heaters that can irritate your eyes.

As for skin care do not use anything with perfume, soap or harsh cleaners, exfoliaitong products such as face scrubs and acids are a big no no. The best thing I found were glycerine based cleaning products. Your skin will also become sensitive to sun light, even if you don't think it is. So wear a non chemical sunscreen with moisturisers. A good starting point are sunscreens with zinc oxide and vitamin e. You may initailly think they are heavy, but if your skin gets even close to how dry mine was you will suddenly love it. Also I found the dryness in my skin was initally gradual and then suddenly got bad. So starting to look into skin care now is a very good idea.

Finding a mosituriser for my face was a task in it's own. Everything seemed too scented or not moisturising enought. In desperation I used olive oil straight on my skin and found it the best relief. You could use any oil, just do a search on the internet about oil benefits and pick one that suits or that is with in your budget. The majority of oils you will find in your supermarket. Another really effective remedy was the contents of vitamin e capsules. Simply buy vitamin e capsules, pierce them, squeeze the content and spread over you skin. Since these moisturisers are quite heavy I only wore them at home and at night. To thin this try adding it to an unfragranced glycerine mosituriser until it is a consistency you like. Another good idea are natural products that are aimed for skin with eczma as they will form a barrier while moisturising. If you are not against using animal products than try emu oil rubbed right onto your skin. Or add the vitamin e or olive oil to the emu oil.

Another thing one of my friends expereinced was dry cracked lips, to the point they would crack and bleed when she smiled. Use lip balms with bees wax in them as this will help to form a seel over you slips. Another thing which she did was get gum numbing cream that you apply on babies gums when they are teething and applied it to her lips. This may sound weird but she said it really helped to reduce the pain of the cracks on her lips when applied.

I wish you the best with the roaccutaine. If you have problems talk to your doctor or even go to a chemist and ask about products for dry skin. If I remember any thing ele I will post it.
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Wow - thank you for all that info! I'm not actually on roaccutane yet. I'm going to see a dermatologist in March and am hoping against hope that they give me a prescription. I know that may sound odd and I've done a lot of research and know what the side effects can be, but I really can't cope with my skin anymore! I'm 27 (28 in March) and have had acne since I was 13 and have been going to the doctors about it since I was 15. This will be the third derm I've seen and I'm travelling 2 hours (each way) to the hospital. I'm trying to get as organised as possible prior to my appointment. I've been looking at the Liz Earle range in the UK. It's very natural and Liz Earle herself suffered from excema so it should be suitable, I guess it's just trial and error. I've got eye drops and I actually wear contacts but if I can't stand them I don't mind wearing my glasses instead. The vit E capsules are a good idea, thank you. I've got several lip balms on stand by and always have body moisturisers on the go and I carry hand cream everywhere I go!
Any other tips and greatly appreciated, role on March.... Rolling Eyes
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently on accutane as well but I'm on a rather low dose because I suffered too many side effects using the regular dose.

I have not tried Liz Earle products so I can't provide any feedback about it. What's really helped me a lot in the Canadian winter weather has been a cream called Impruv. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK but it really has helped with the dryness. Clinique Superbalm has also been a lifesaver for me. It is like a lip gloss (since it's a bit on the sticky side and it contains color) but it really has helped my lips since being on accutane. I put a little vaseline underneath to give the superbalm some slip and it helps retain the moisture in my lips.

Another piece of advice that I'll give is to totally avoid picking your skin while on accutane. I'm a huge picker and when I went on accutane I learned really quickly that the slightly picking will lead to huge sores and wounds. Even now that I don't pick my skin, I occassionally find a scratch from rubbing or scratching my face.

Good luck!
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I got accutane from doctor,but I've side effect,it make my lip dry.It may control oily on face.
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies and advise. I have managed to change my derm appointment from March 17th to Monday (Feb 11th)! I was lucky and got a cancellation. As luck would have it my breakout is starting to clear up now. I hope the derm can see past this and still give me a prescription...
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |