Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avocado Oil!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 am      Reply with quote
I have been using avocado oil on my face and have experienced great results, far better than with ANY commercial product I've tried. I find avocado oil to be even more regenerative than rosehip seed oil.

I wonder if any natural skin care/natural oil experts on the board can comment on why avocado oil would have such skin regenerative properties. I know rosehip seed oil has trans-retinoic acid, but having used both rosehip seed oil and now avocado oil, I truly find the effects of avocado oil to be far more pronounced.

An old chicken pox scar is noticeably diminished, breakouts have significantly decreased in both frequency and severity, and those breakouts that do happen heal much faster. Fine lines are lessened and pores seem smaller, cleaner. The skin tends to "slough" slightly as it would with a mild retinoid, but the underlying "new" skin is clearer, fresher, less lined, less scarred, etc. Redness is also reduced. This is an amazing skin treatment, so simple, and for such a small price!

Please note that I am using cold-pressed avocado oil, and not refined avocado oil. I've tried the latter and it is a marvelous moisturizer, but the regenerative effects have only come from the cold-pressed version. Cold-pressed avocado oil has a green tint, and so I apply it only at bedtime, although some may find the green tint counters mild facial rudiness. The refined avocado oil is golden in color.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
There's another thread about this:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25158&highlight=avocado+oil+keratoses

I started using avocado oil based on that thread, but sadly, I think I screwed up in my order and wound up getting a somewhat refined oil. I generally try to get only cold-pressed, unrefined organic oils, but it can be tricky. I'll keep my eye out for that next time, based on your review!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I think I screwed up in my order and wound up getting a somewhat refined oil.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who ordered the wrong type Smile
jools
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've used both avocado oil and emu oil to sort a patch of eczema - both were great and better than the prescibed lotions.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
i have been using avocado oil for about a month and love it also. i was afraid it would be too heavy for my skin but i think it's perfect if you use just the right amount on wet skin.

I usually buy my carrier oils at GoW but during the holiday rush i didn't want to wait and got it from another vendor, and it is yellow not green at all. the vendor even guaranteed it was cold pressed, organic and unrefined. i am thinking someone fibbed Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Cold pressed, unrefined avocado oil is always a true green color. I got my oil at Whole Foods in the cooking oils aisle...for less than $10. Try looking at natural foods stores for it, too. Most carry it.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
ahh, now i am so tempted to try my 302 products! (it contains an extract of avocado). i promised myself i would wait until i finished my afa products, but that might not be for another 2 months! why oh why couldn't i have been born with a steely resolve!! Laughing
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 am      Reply with quote
i know burt's bees hair treatment contains this ,and i love it
it enriches my hair a lot
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:
ahh, now i am so tempted to try my 302 products! (it contains an extract of avocado). i promised myself i would wait until i finished my afa products, but that might not be for another 2 months! why oh why couldn't i have been born with a steely resolve!! Laughing

Compromise and set the date at 4 weeks!

1) If you have the products already, they are losing freshness slowly, and

2) there is always the small chance that you won't be thrilled, in which case you will still have some of your afa (whatever that is!) to go back to.

How does that sound?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
melanie, what a great plan!!! Laughing
i have been using afa for 4 weeks now, so does that mean i can start on 302 straight away? someone please give me permission!! haha
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Go for it , cahoot! Does that make me an enabler? Confused Very Happy

cahoot wrote:
melanie, what a great plan!!! Laughing
i have been using afa for 4 weeks now, so does that mean i can start on 302 straight away? someone please give me permission!! haha

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I second the enabling!

I mean, I'm all for using something up, but then I've also taken to using products in WEIRD ways when I don't like them. Like, I think I'm gonna use my new (and kinda blah) eye cream on my legs, or even as a shave cream. In fact, almost anything I don't like becomes a shave cream. Face creams, body lotions, conditioners, even my Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel. Laughing I even started a thread about this here!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
awww, you guys are the greatest!!!

now i can start my new regime guilt-free!! (*she says, as the last nibbling seed of guilt is banished to the back of the cupboard, to join the 2,456 containers, bottles and packets of half-used skincare products languishing there!!*) Laughing
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone in Toronto know where I can get the Cold pressed, unrefined avocado oil(darker green stuff)?

I would love to give it a try for my dry skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Apparently after you eat avocado, rub the skin on your feet and it cures tinea Surprised (or so they say at Tropical Fruit World!)
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
Cold pressed, unrefined avocado oil is always a true green color. I got my oil at Whole Foods in the cooking oils aisle...for less than $10. Try looking at natural foods stores for it, too. Most carry it.

Hi, thanks for the reminder, but i love buying my oils from GoW since i get to try more exotic oils like kukui nut oil and raspberry seed oil, etc., since GoW sells small quantities.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am      Reply with quote
WHERE do you get the avocado oil? I would like to try it! Please help. Thanks.

MBGirl wrote:
I have been using avocado oil on my face and have experienced great results, far better than with ANY commercial product I've tried. I find avocado oil to be even more regenerative than rosehip seed oil.

I wonder if any natural skin care/natural oil experts on the board can comment on why avocado oil would have such skin regenerative properties. I know rosehip seed oil has trans-retinoic acid, but having used both rosehip seed oil and now avocado oil, I truly find the effects of avocado oil to be far more pronounced.

An old chicken pox scar is noticeably diminished, breakouts have significantly decreased in both frequency and severity, and those breakouts that do happen heal much faster. Fine lines are lessened and pores seem smaller, cleaner. The skin tends to "slough" slightly as it would with a mild retinoid, but the underlying "new" skin is clearer, fresher, less lined, less scarred, etc. Redness is also reduced. This is an amazing skin treatment, so simple, and for such a small price!

Please note that I am using cold-pressed avocado oil, and not refined avocado oil. I've tried the latter and it is a marvelous moisturizer, but the regenerative effects have only come from the cold-pressed version. Cold-pressed avocado oil has a green tint, and so I apply it only at bedtime, although some may find the green tint counters mild facial rudiness. The refined avocado oil is golden in color.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
does anyone in Toronto know where I can get the Cold pressed, unrefined avocado oil(darker green stuff)?

I would love to give it a try for my dry skin.

Hi rosyface - You can buy cold pressed, unrefined, Avocado Oil at The Big Carrot on Danforth (www.thebigcarrot.ca ). I absolutely LOVE this store as it never fails to disappoint me with it's vast (and I mean VAST) inventory of natural skincare products and supplements and organic food (they've expanded this past year and now have a separate building that is a large grocery store). This place is definitely worth checking out, so make sure to take some time to walk around all three sections of the Big Carrot before you leave.

I just called them today regarding the cold pressed, unrefined, Avocado oil and was told that they have a 50 ml size available for $12.29.

HTH's... Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
You can buy cold pressed, unrefined, Avocado Oil at The Big Carrot on Danforth (www.thebigcarrot.ca ).

thanks, I'll try to get down there after the storm, maybe next week sometime.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
WHERE do you get the avocado oil? I would like to try it! Please help. Thanks.

I've ordered it fromwww.gardenofwisdom.com/page/page/3987807.htm - just remember to choose the right one Smile
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Most Whole Foods Markets carry it, in the cooking/salad oil aisle. The price is about $10 for an 8 ounce bottle.
It is indeed amazing stuff! Very Happy
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
will avocado oil work on stretchmarks.....anyone tried it?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Hmm, I went to Whole Foods but they had cold pressed, REFINED. I couldn't find unrefined. And it was definitely yellow. So make sure you look at the label.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
The bottle I purchased at Whole Foods is black glass (which protects the unrefined oil from light).
The brand name is Virginlands. The front of the bottle clearly states that is is cold-pressed, and that it is made from Haas avocados. Great stuff!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Michele, I went to a Whole Foods in Seattle and I also could only find the refined stuff.

And I'm bummed because I realized the stuff I bought online for skincare stuff is neither unrefined NOR organic, so that's annoying! Still a great moisturizer, but not as chock-full of benefits.

I'm running out of other stuff, so I placed a Mountain Rose order recently, and included some of their organic unrefined avocado oil. But even that stuff is still expeller pressed and not cold pressed, which is frustrating.

The difference is subtle but the temperature raise in the expeller-pressing process can be enough to destroy some of the good vitamins and minerals in the natural oil. In some oils this matters less than others, but I feel like avocado is one where we should be as picky as possible.

So I'm still hunting for a decent source of organic, cold-pressed, unrefined avocado oil. The only sites I've found are either British or Oz/NZ, so that's not very helpful -- not a fan of paying more in shipping charge than the price of the product!

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |