Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Good mild drugstore body wash and face wash w/o SLS/Paraben?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
I tried castille soap and its sooo drying. What is a good drug store body wash that is free of SLS and parabens?

What is a good mild facial cleanser also free of SLS and parabens?
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
i used lux a while back and it did not have SLS.

it was one of those new bottles....with some sort of shimmering mineral mica i think....to leave your skin glowing afterwards i loved the effect. And it did leave it smooth and soft. Ill look up the name for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
In the UK I find it nearly impossible to get a face wash without SLS or Parabens. I have to order online or go to a healthfood shop to get what I am looking for, I think that you are totally right to want to avoid these ingredients but you might need to further afield than the chemists/drugstore to get what you are looking for although it could be diffrent in the US.
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Can you elaborate on why we should avoid these ingredients?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I guess this is a personal preferance for me but I just find that my skin is much better when avoid SLS altogether.

Here is some info from a website on Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:

So why is a dangerous chemical like sodium lauryl sulfate used in our soaps and shampoos?
The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium lauryl sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, sodium lauryl sulfate also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.

Perhaps most worryingly, SLS is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone Oestrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where oestrogen levels are known to be involved.

Products commonly found to contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or SLES

Soaps
Shampoos
Bubble-baths
Tooth paste
Washing-up liquid / dish soap
Laundry detergent
Childrens soaps / shampoos
Stain Remover
Carpet Cleaner
Fabric glue
Body wash
Shave cream
Mascara
Mouthwash
Skin cleanser
Moisture lotion / Moisturiser
Sun Cream

Parabens:

Parabens have been used as preservatives since the 1920s. They are used to prevent the growth of bacteria. By far the most prevalent use has been in cosmetics, skin care products, shampoos, conditioners, sunscreens, deodorants, and soaps. A report that was published in 1984 - Elder, RL. "Final report on the safety assessment of methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben." Journal of the American College of Toxicology, vol. 3, pp. 147-209, 1984 - estimated that parabens were used in over 13,200 different cosmetic products.

Recent evidence from over a dozen scientific studies has indicated that several types of parabens can bind to the estrogen receptor and cause estrogen-like responses when tested in laboratory animals or in a variety of tissue cultures. In studies using animals, the estrogenic effects were not found when fed, only when applied to or injected into the skin. There is no comprehensive research regarding the long-term effects of low-dose paraben use.

In these studies, the researchers looked at twenty (20) human breast tumours and found synthetic chemicals known as parabens in eighteen of them. The level of parabens in four of the tumours so high that it could have had a damaging biological effect on cells. It is the first time parabens (para-hydroxybenzoic acids) have been detected within tumours, suggesting that the man-made chemicals accumulated in the breast tissue after being absorbed through the skin.
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. Ok. I will look for these from now on. I took a look at just some of my products and I am surprised to see that it is in my Frederick Fekkai PM Repair Streghtner and also my Lush Smitten Hand Cream.

Free from both is my Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea Body Butter.Darnit! I am so sick of that store. Every time to get to the counter..."Did you know that if you buy one more we'll give you 20 items free?" Laughing Can never get out of there with ONE item. Oh well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
I guess this is a personal preferance for me but I just find that my skin is much better when avoid SLS altogether.

Here is some info from a website on Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:

So why is a dangerous chemical like sodium lauryl sulfate used in our soaps and shampoos?
The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium lauryl sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, sodium lauryl sulfate also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.

Perhaps most worryingly, SLS is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone Oestrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where oestrogen levels are known to be involved.

Products commonly found to contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or SLES

Soaps
Shampoos
Bubble-baths
Tooth paste
Washing-up liquid / dish soap
Laundry detergent
Childrens soaps / shampoos
Stain Remover
Carpet Cleaner
Fabric glue
Body wash
Shave cream
Mascara
Mouthwash
Skin cleanser
Moisture lotion / Moisturiser
Sun Cream

Parabens:

Parabens have been used as preservatives since the 1920s. They are used to prevent the growth of bacteria. By far the most prevalent use has been in cosmetics, skin care products, shampoos, conditioners, sunscreens, deodorants, and soaps. A report that was published in 1984 - Elder, RL. "Final report on the safety assessment of methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben." Journal of the American College of Toxicology, vol. 3, pp. 147-209, 1984 - estimated that parabens were used in over 13,200 different cosmetic products.

Recent evidence from over a dozen scientific studies has indicated that several types of parabens can bind to the estrogen receptor and cause estrogen-like responses when tested in laboratory animals or in a variety of tissue cultures. In studies using animals, the estrogenic effects were not found when fed, only when applied to or injected into the skin. There is no comprehensive research regarding the long-term effects of low-dose paraben use.

In these studies, the researchers looked at twenty (20) human breast tumours and found synthetic chemicals known as parabens in eighteen of them. The level of parabens in four of the tumours so high that it could have had a damaging biological effect on cells. It is the first time parabens (para-hydroxybenzoic acids) have been detected within tumours, suggesting that the man-made chemicals accumulated in the breast tissue after being absorbed through the skin.

This is some very helpful information. I already have been looking out for SLS, but not Parabens yet. Does the label say the actual word paraben? Or can it also be called something else?
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
esq wrote:
Wow. Ok. I will look for these from now on. I took a look at just some of my products and I am surprised to see that it is in my Frederick Fekkai PM Repair Streghtner and also my Lush Smitten Hand Cream.

Free from both is my Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea Body Butter.Darnit! I am so sick of that store. Every time to get to the counter..."Did you know that if you buy one more we'll give you 20 items free?" Laughing Can never get out of there with ONE item. Oh well.

Lol. I get annoyed by that too.
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Alba
Avalon Organics
Burt's Bees
Juice Beauty/Organics
Kiss My Face/Sudz

Of course, check the ingredients because I am not sure that all of their products are free of these ingredients you want to avoid.

BTW...I LOVE Alba and Avalon...
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Many Alba and Avalon products contain parabens. They also contain sulphate based detergents sodium myreth sulfate (I think this is the spelling) which are very close to SLS.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I personally use the avalon organics lavander.The new formulation does not contain paraben.It does contain SODIUM LAUROYL SARCOSINATE which could be a concern if it was not handled properly by the manufacturer.
I recommend you check out skin deep cosmetic safety database(just google it)It is an amazing resource and will give you information about every single product out there.I use it every time I need to buy something-i am a bit of a ingredients freak. Rolling Eyes
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
__> Angelwings... to answer your questiona about parabens I have seen two so far when going through my products and they are easy to spot....Metyhlparaben and Propylparaben. Usually toward the end of the list.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
esq wrote:
__> Angelwings... to answer your questiona about parabens I have seen two so far when going through my products and they are easy to spot....Metyhlparaben and Propylparaben. Usually toward the end of the list.

Ok, thanks! I will be on the lookout. Smile
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen Juice beauty oil free moisturizer is paraben free.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Since you said you were looking for something in the drugstore category I would reccommend Bath and Body Works Aroma Therapy line in Lavender vanilla. It's also part of their "Sleep" collection. The scent is very subtle and calming and I think it's sudsy enough to make you feel clean without drying out your skin. I also use the BBW puff, which makes liquid body wash quick and easy. In the winter I'll often use their creamy body wash, which is somewhere in between the body was and the lotion and it also sudses up nicely.
oncloudten
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Jason line offers both facial and body washes you might check out.

Several on line retailers also offer...one of the best prices I found was actually on a site that sells vitamins! Is it a no-no to provide a url from another site?? Since I'm new, I don't want to get sent to the principal's office 1st day!! Confused

V
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Dermaglow is a drug store brand and their sensitive line is paraben free!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Add to the list of products which often contain SLS -
Toothpaste
BlueFL

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
This past week I purchased Olive & Honey Body Wash from Sam's Club. It very prominently states on the packaging that it contains no SLS or parabens. Very nice product, little to no scent and leaves my skin feeling nicely cleansed, but not tight or dry. It's made by Body Essence; I checked their web site but this particular product isn't listed. Might well be manufactured for another name brand and sold under a different label for Sam's. For two 24oz bottles and less than $10, I consider it a steal!
Northerngirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
From my own research and understanding this small study was looking for the levels of a range of chemicals from underarm deodorants and antiperspirants.
The researchers found that parabens were present in 18 out of the 20 breast cancer tissue samples. Findings, however, can't be interpreted as a direct link between breast cancer and parabens and deodorants/antiperspirants. All it means is that parabens are present in some breast cancers, but not necessarily cause breast cancer. Further research needs to be undertaken before any conclusions can be made.

If you take a look in your cupboards Parabens are also found in a wide range of household products and food.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |