Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Consumer Report on Wrinkle Cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
An article fresh from the Toronto Star Newspaper.... I am shocked Olay Regenerist had the top score... Rolling Eyes

New wrinkle in cream claims
Consumer Reports study finds cheap ones outperform the pricey ones
Dec. 5, 2006. 06:57 AM
DANA FLAVELLE
BUSINESS REPORTER

Despite making claims such as "scientifically proven" and "breakthrough treatment," the benefits of most anti-aging creams are barely visible to the naked eye, a study by the publishers of Consumer Reports magazine has concluded.
The luxury brands, some priced over $300, don't perform any better than more moderately priced drug store versions, which sell for less than $20, the non-profit consumer research group also said in its first-ever study of anti-aging products.
Industry reaction to the study was mixed. Makers of the top scorer, Olay Regenerist at $19, praised the magazine for conducting its usual thorough research. But the company whose product scored the lowest, RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream, said beauty products couldn't be rated like cars and cellphones.
Overall, the study's findings were not very encouraging.
"We found that after 12 weeks our top-rated products did smooth out some fine lines and wrinkles. But even the best performers reduced the average depth of wrinkles by less than 10 per cent, a magnitude of change that was, alas, barely visible to the naked eye," the report said.
The differences between the top and bottom scoring creams were "marginal," the authors noted. However, consumers can improve their chances of getting better results by trying various brands as the same product performed differently on different women, the study showed.
This latter finding didn't surprise dermatologists.
"Skin is not Saran Wrap. It's alive and metabolically active. Each person's skin has its own unique requirements and responses," said dermatologist Amy Newburgerof St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Centre in New York City.
The makers of top performing Olay Regenerist gave the report high marks. "It confirms what women have told us again and again," said Maria Burquest, a spokesperson for Procter & Gamble.
But Carson Gray, a spokesperson for RoC maker Johnson & Johnson, said. "We don't agree with the way the testing was carried out for this article."
The most expensive product tested, La Prairie Cellular, which sells for $335 an ounce in the U.S., ranked second least effective. The Toronto Star was unable to reach the Swiss company for comment last night.
The consumer group also tested a brand that is currently the subject of a class action lawsuit in the U.S. and a Health Canada review over some of its health claims. StriVectin-SD Intensive Concentrate for Existing Stretch Marks, which sells for $135 in the U.S., scored seventh out of nine products listed.
StriVectin maker Klein-Becker could not be reached.
The best prevention for wrinkles is the old standbys: Stay out of the sun, wear sunscreen, avoid tanning salons and don't smoke, the report concluded.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
did olay sponser this study?

by saying olay was best, I assume they mean the best hideously clogged pores? Because regenerist certainly regenerated the skin I had when I was 15, which looked like a depressed slice of pizza.

I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, OLAY! Mad
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Haha! Too funny waffle!...as I said with the Clinique Three Step System in another thread, with a wee bit of adaptation....ahem:

IMPEACH OLAY REGENERIST!!!

Yes I've tried it.
Never again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Haha! Too funny waffle!...as I said with the Clinique Three Step System in another thread, with a wee bit of adaptation....ahem:

IMPEACH OLAY REGENERIST!!!

Yes I've tried it.
Never again!

I tried Regenerist and didn't like it either. I wouldn't go to the expense Doubt of impeaching it let it remain as a lame duck moisturizer... Silenced
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
So a more appropriate name would probably be Olay Degenerist? I'm not sure Procter&Gamble are too excited about that name, though. :rofl:

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi waffle -- you're so funny (I'm still thinking about your Can I Have A Hallelujah???). Anyway, I doubt if P&G sponsored a Consumer's Report study. I suspect more that, given CR's bent, it ranked Olay highly BECAUSE it's cheaper and none of the products tested were any more effective. Ergo, it's better to be wrinkled and richer than wrinkled and poorer.

I've used several Roc products in the past and thought they performed reasonably well. I would recommend the line to anyone on a skincare budget (not too many of those here on the forum, it seems Laughing ). But like the study said, everyone's skin is different.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I saw this article too and it is very interesting. I made a copy of it and have it at my desk right now. I also seriously doubt that a magazine such as Consumer Report allowed any of the products to sponsor the study. CS is usually a very good "independent" test source.

Anyway, the things I found interesting were:

1) It was performed in France! The testing was done with ladies from France which is interesting.

2) I'm not surprised that the lower priced mass market store brands did quite well. Most of these type of products use a very similar base lotion type of formula. It all depends on who picks the best "active" ingredient for anti-wrinkle function. In this case, the overpriced, high dollar, big name products either didn't do their homework, or they didn't care and just marked up the product anyway to a ridiculous price.

3) "But even the best performers reduced the average depth of wrinkles by less than 10 percent, a magnitude of change that was, alas, barely visible to the naked eye".

All I can say to that is that none of the products tested had jojoba esters in them. I would have liked to have seen the results of at least one product with jojoba esters in the formulation.

The "Slightly More Effective" products were:

(in order)
Olay Regenerist
Lancome Paris Renergie
RoC Retin-Ox

The "Average Performance" products were:

(in order)
Neutrogena Visibly Firm Night Cream With Active Copper
Avon Anew Alternative Intensive Age Treatment
L'Oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Wrinkle De-Crease With Boswelox Advanced Wrinkle Corrector & Dermo Smoother (are you kidding me??...that's the whole name??!!)
StriVectin-SD Intensive Concentrate for Existing Stretch Marks

The "Slightly Less Effective" products were:

(in order)
La Prairie Cellular
RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've used regenerist and it's OK. My sister sewars by it. I swear by Vitamin C and sunscreen.

different strokes, I guess.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jojoba esters??? This is a new wrinkle -- I'd like to know more!!!
Louis C.
5% products discount

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Jojoba esters??? This is a new wrinkle -- I'd like to know more!!!

It is a moisturizer and emollient, native americans here in the southwest swear by it. It has an apparent ability to heal the skin, it makes your skin really soft as well. I use quite a bit of it in my Age Defying formula.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, OLAY! Mad

hahaha ... that's hysterical.

I like this
Quote:
""Skin is not Saran Wrap. It's alive and metabolically active. Each person's skin has its own unique requirements and responses," said dermatologist Amy Newburgerof St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Centre in New York City."

Some people SWEAR by Strivectin - but it didn't do anything for me. In the end, YMMV, so the best is really to get to know your skin, what works and doesn't work for you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add that I found this:

http://www.dolceguide.com/health-and-beauty/what-uk-women-really-want.html

The Latest YouGov Survey Reveals That Most UK Women Prefer Not To Consider Cosmetic Surgery and are Increasingly Concerned About Which Anti ageing Ingredients Really Work - So What is the Solution?
LONDON, March 28/PRNewswire/ -- It's fair to say that UK women now have more choice than ever when it comes facial anti ageing solutions. From innovative cosmetic surgery procedures to topical so called 'cosmeceuticals' and sophisticated skin-care, there's never been a wider range of beauty solutions available on the market. However, the latest anti-ageing consumer research, commissioned by Olay Regenerist with YouGov, shows that only 4% of UK women are actually opting to undertake more drastic cosmetic procedures and increasing numbers are confused about which so-called 'wonder ingredients' are really worth it. So what are their main concerns and what's the solution to this most modern of beauty dilemmas?

The Pressure To Look Good

A recent YouGov survey of 1,152 adults commissioned by Olay Regenerist, leading experts in anti-ageing skincare, revealed the signs of ageing that concerned UK women most were a loss of elasticity or sagging (44%), wrinkles (43%) and fine lines (28%). "I hear from women every day about their concerns and complaints about the visible signs of ageing. In my experience, American women tend to be more worried about wrinkles, whereas women in the UK are more inclined to accept some fine lines as a natural part of the ageing process," says beauty industry expert Wendy Lewis, celebrity image enhancement coach and author of Plastic Makes Perfect.

Perhaps this more tolerant attitude to Mother Nature is the reason why, rather reassuringly, only 4% of British women admit to having had a cosmetic procedure. Even with a seemingly endless supply of makeover shows on our screens, a whopping 60% of women said they had not only never had any augmentation, but that they wouldn't consider having any in the future (64% even said they only saw it as a 'last resort'). So why are we so reluctant to head for the Cosmetic surgeon's office?

"The fear of looking 'unnatural' often puts people off having something done. Cost (44%), potential side-effects (43%) and unknown end results (37%) were the three most popular reasons women cited for why they wouldn't have cosmetic procedures in the future," comments Wendy Lewis on the YouGov findings. So with UK women mostly unwilling to submit themselves to a procedure, they are more likely to opt for a topical cream to help them keep wrinkles at bay. But even this can be a source of frustration and confusion for consumers.

'Cosmeceuticals' and Confusion

It seems that even though we're more aware than ever of the latest developments in skincare, we Brits are still confused as to what an effective anti-ageing regime should actually consist of. According to the survey, 56% of women maintain a simple cleansing, toning and moisturising routine as part of their anti-ageing tactics, with 44% adding diet and exercise as an important part of their regime too.

"In my view, the most important steps to maintain youthful skin would be protection in the form of a daily sunscreen and moisturising with a good anti-ageing product. Cleansing and toning are not technically considered by experts to be steps towards 'de-ageing' your skin, though they are certainly part of daily skin hygiene for every age and skin type," advises Wendy Lewis.

But in a beauty market flooded with anti-ageing 'buzzwords' such as retinols, co-enzymes and peptides, UK women can find it hard to navigate through the hype to find what works for their skin. According to the YouGov survey, almost half of women (43%) are confused by claims as to which ingredients really work.

This concern was highest amongst 35-44 year olds, the very group that tend to be most concerned with preserving their looks and achieving a more youthful complexion. In fact, this confusion can lead to a deep mistrust of what consumers see as marketing - only 12% of women surveyed indicated that scientific claims made on packaging had any influence when they were looking to buy an anti-ageing product. "This is likely down to consumers being inundated with over-reaching promises about the latest and greatest 'quick-fix' or 'facelift in a jar'," says Wendy Lewis.

The Solution

When it comes to buying an anti-ageing cream, the YouGov survey reveals women really do vote with their wallets, opting for well-established, trusted brands (57%) over others and noting price as an important part of their choice (52%). It seems that amidst all the hype and hyperbole over the latest 'miracle' ingredients, women seek reassurance from brands they trust to deliver the goods. "It is hard for consumers to know who to trust, so they often seek out the recommendation of a friend, beauty expert or their favourite magazine editors before they buy. I always tell my clients to look for ingredient-driven performance benefits from tried-and true brands that have a reputation for putting out a good product that is safe and effective," agrees Wendy Lewis.

With this in mind, the Olay Regenerist range, one of the leading brands professionals and beauty experts recommend, is an ideal choice for those seeking effective and affordable anti-ageing skincare with proven efficacy. Its star ingredient, the peptide Pal KTTKS, has shown to be effective at improving visible skin texture and wrinkles, and acts as a signal to encourage the regeneration of skin's appearance. Combining this important peptide in a unique Amino-Peptide Complex with Niacinamide (a hardworking B vitamin complex that has a key role in evening out skin tone and strengthening the skin's barrier defences) Regenerist has been shown to have twice the regenerating effect of skin's appearance versus untreated skin. It delivers dramatic anti-ageing results before considering more drastic anti-ageing measures.

And the results speak for themselves. One bottle of Regenerist is sold every two seconds worldwide(1). Regenerist delivers real results at a more affordable price than some 'miracle' creams. Which just goes to show that women really do know what they want -anti-ageing protection from a brand they trust to help them look younger.

"As a leading consultant within the beauty industry, I'm asked daily by my clients if it really is possible for an affordable topical face cream to deliver great results. Is there an effective cream that will visibly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as deliver younger looking skin? The answer I am happy to say is 'yes'. Olay Regenerist works effectively as a maintenance tool between procedures, and as an alternative before considering more drastic measures for some," says Wendy Lewis.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I think it would be interesting to compare/contrast what U.S. women are willing to do in terms of anti-aging ventures -- whether it be cosmetic surgery or less invasive procedures to the U.K. (and other countries as well).

Does anyone have a good source for this kind of information?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I have used Olay Regenerist Night Cream for a few years now and love it! It leaves my skin really smooth and silky

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I always that a lot of expensive products do not worth that much of money. But I am so suprised that Olay ranks so high. Is there any detailed reviews or ingredients analysis for Olay's products? Rolling Eyes
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:06 am      Reply with quote
i think it is because olay company is the biggest adv clien,that's all.
i read their good score and bought a bottle cream,hate it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
My skin didn't like Olay stuff. Tried it once and that was enough!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 am      Reply with quote
i used this once before going the DIY route, didnt see any results but it probably just plumps the skin up which makes for "results".

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:31 am      Reply with quote
The Olay regenerist serum is ok, but not really worth $40 though.
not sure it does anything either.

I bought it a couple times only because I got more store points than the value of the product.

I do like the Olay touch of foundation tinted moisturizer- the colour looks nice on me and good if you are in a rush with makeup.
but when I run out,am not rebuying..not worth $40.

I like the Marcelle tinted moisturizer that sells for $10 better!
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

I bought it a couple times only because I got more store points than the value of the product.

I do like the Olay touch of foundation tinted moisturizer- the colour looks nice on me and good if you are in a rush with makeup.

I won the regenerist eye serum in a lot of products on eBay. On no-make-up it is real natural looking, illuminates the lips, and is real quick to use.

Olay's line is over priced, if the average department store beauty product consumer learnt how to read ingredient lists they could end up with anti-aging bargains under $10.00. I'm a huge beauty product junkie so tend to branch out occasionally and have found a few keepers.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:

(in order)
Olay Regenerist
Lancome Paris Renergie
RoC Retin-Ox

(in order)
L'Oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Wrinkle De-Crease With Boswelox Advanced Wrinkle Corrector & Dermo Smoother (are you kidding me??...that's the whole name??!!)

(in order)
La Prairie Cellular

Looks like they have only "researched" 10 anti-wrinkle products out of a billion of them. This sample is certainly not a representative of all anti-wrinkle creams. So I am not surprised that the Olay Regenerist serum has won.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
John C. Hill wrote:

(in order)
Olay Regenerist
Lancome Paris Renergie
RoC Retin-Ox

(in order)

(in order)
La Prairie Cellular

Looks like they have only "researched" 10 anti-wrinkle products out of a billion of them. This sample is certainly not a representative of all anti-wrinkle creams. So I am not surprised that the Olay Regenerist serum has won.

I completely agree.

beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Marcelle, where can I buy it?

Ottawa Shopper wrote:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am      Reply with quote
I read a article in one website ( bit.ly/qC2lk0 ). Really, it was gud. We have to think before using any skin care creams. We must learn to accept the ageing process bur try our best to retain the pleasures of a smooth skin. Have a look on that.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 am      Reply with quote
This is the most expensive line of Olay. Some girls said that it's good but it's not good for me.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |