Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Anybody giving up on MMU?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
The Youngblood liquid minerals run about $40. Yeah, there's a lot of ingredients in there that puzzle me too. I was able to get a sample from the clinic I go to. It's about a week's worth. I'm sure if you search the web, you'll be able to buy a sample. Or try the other suggestions here. There's so much out there....it really is exhausting!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
I too would like to know how others feel about MMU, and if you give it up what are the choices. I mention this in regard to the many great aspects of MMU..such as not clogging the pores (well some brands), and having an SPF.

I have been using it for almost a decade, yet I too feel like it makes my skin look really dry. I use it mostly when my skin is bad, as that is when it is necessary, yet it makes the acne are look dry,and scaly. I have been frustrated MANY Times over the years, yet to switch to WHAT!!!

SO, if anyone has a better coverage, with similar benegits..PLEASE let me know as I will be the first to try it!!!

Feliz
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I find it makes an incredible difference what you put under the MMU. The richer the moisturizer, especially in winter, the more the minerals cling. I use Eliz. Arden Extreme Conditioning Cream SPF 15 first and then all the "in-betweens" like blush, concealer, eye shadow, eyebrow powder, then I use my Alima #25 brush to apply UGloGirl MMU in Fresco, then even out anything I don't like with the little foam thingy from Alima (Alima was too fine for me, and anyhow I had read here on EDS that UGloGirl was good for dry skin), then I spray with Evian.
It looks a little too deep, esp. in winter, I think. But I'll have to ask ginnielizz when we first get together for a coffee here in Seattle. My grown daughters think I've lost my mind with this obsession with skin, so they are no good for comments.
One day I tried my sample of Cellcosmet Ultra Vital that EDS kindly sent with my last order
for a moisturizer and the MMU didn't cling so much and I think the same color looked more natural, but I have to admit I like the former look better, even if it is obvious, to women anyway, that I am wearing something.
So I think experimenting with your moisturizer is crucial to prevent dryness as is spritzing. That has been my experience with it and I like the look I get with MMU.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I am another fan of the NCN liquid minerals. I have quite a collection of powder minerals that I have collected but frankly, they are quickly being pushed to the back of my makeup table. NCN's liquid mineral foundation is light and cooling when applied (I also learned to use a foundation brush and it works splendidly)and, honestly, applying it feels like a soothing and calming treat for my skin. It is nothing like the traditional liquid foundations that you are used to.

And you know what else? With the powder ones, even after spending a small fortune on color samples from tons of different companies, I never quite felt like I got the perfect color match. Now, with the NCN minerals, there are not nearly as many color choices yet everyone that I know seems to find their match easily. I know that the Pink-Light/Medium has been referred to as the Universal color. (it's what I use!.

Highly, highly recommended!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:42 am      Reply with quote
brenpatsa, do u use any setting powder of some sort to set the NCN liquid minerals? I guess I might give it a try since so many of u suggested that and it seems to contain many beneficial ingredients to the skin too compared to reg. MMU. Just to make things clear, my skin is not desert-like dry but more like dehydrated and oily sometimes throughout the day. It's more like dehydrated but oily at the same time if that makes any sense... Confused Now with this NCN liquid minerals, does it last throughout the day? Does it accentuate pores too? Thanks!! Smile
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
brenpatsa, do u use any setting powder of some sort to set the NCN liquid minerals? I guess I might give it a try since so many of u suggested that and it seems to contain many beneficial ingredients to the skin too compared to reg. MMU. Just to make things clear, my skin is not desert-like dry but more like dehydrated and oily sometimes throughout the day. It's more like dehydrated but oily at the same time if that makes any sense... Confused Now with this NCN liquid minerals, does it last throughout the day? Does it accentuate pores too? Thanks!! Smile

Not Brenpasta but I have found that what you put under it makes a difference. My skin gets oily, so I use silk/pearl paste to control the oil. On top of that, I apply my sunscreen. Once sunscreen has absorbed [5 minutes] I apply liquid minerals with a brush and buff it well. If I apply too much, or use my fingers pores do tend to be accentuated and it balls up on me; that's why I was so pleased to find out how effective a stippling brush is to apply. Then I apply a silk/pearl powder on top, although it probably isn't necessary unless you need to control oil throughout the day.

And yes, the universal color brenpasta mentioned [light/med with pink undertones] really is quite forgiving. My skintone is similar to MAC NW25, only more beigy nuetral, and once this is blended in it disappears on my face, leaving an even finish. Once it dries, it doesn't rub off on anything either.

Hope this helps,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

brenpatsa, do u use any setting powder of some sort to set the NCN liquid minerals?
Now with this NCN liquid minerals, does it last throughout the day? Does it accentuate pores too? Thanks!! Smile

I initially dusted a setting powder over the NCN minerals out of habit but stopped once I realized that it just wasn't necessary. Once the minerals set/dry, my skin has the nicest finish, like a healthy glow with just a bit of sheen. I find that this unique finish really camouflages my pores and lasts all day long.

The fact that this makeup is full of skin-loving ingredients is a bonus!
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
The Alima and Pure Luxe ones can be drying. I totally rec ones with vitamin e or with squalane. Lumiere Fairly Flawless is one.

Also I have been having great success with Evan's Garden foundation cream. It gives me a nice dewy long lasting look. The oily skin one works great for me with the Mineral Boutique.

I have been testing Kripps Pharmacy 10% vitamin c cream with the Mineral Boutique vitamin e MM and it looks great too. Apparently vitamin c and e work best together and I thought my skin was okay but lately its looked really good.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
NCN mineral make up, is that the name of the company or an abreviation? I am interested?? IS there bismouth oxide in the powdered form?

ALways looking for something better...
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.ncnproskincare.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the web site.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I was wandering around the Mad Minerals website http://www.madminerals.org/ and noticed they carry the same Liquid Minerals with DMAE and MSM carried by NCN. If I didn't know about NCN prices, I would think Mad Minerals was offering a great deal, but their sale price of $10.50 only contains .55 oz, where NCN offers the same great product for much less $22 for 2 oz.

Apparently both NCN and MadMinerals obtain these liquid minerals from the same source...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
yup! I checked Mad Minerals too. If I am to order, I'll definitely go for NCN. And great news, if any of u is planning to order from them this month, they'll include a free sample of their new product called "No Line".... Just thought I would let everyone know. Very Happy
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
If I didn't know about NCN prices, I would think Mad Minerals was offering a great deal, but their sale price of $10.50 only contains .55 oz, where NCN offers the same great product for much less $22 for 2 oz.

Whoa...that is a HUGE chunk of change that Mad Minerals is charging for the same product as NCN's!!!!!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I love my Alima, although the only other MMU I’ve tried is Laura Mercier, which I also liked but the colour range was limited and didn’t suit me, however I believe LM have or will be introducing more colours.

My skin is rather oily and in fact what I like about Alima is that it keeps my face matte/ish and I don’t need to use oil blotters anywhere near as often as when I used liquid foundation. Perhaps it may be better suited for oilier skins?
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of MMU, although I've tried to be. This time of year I have a hard time wearing any kind of m/u, as my skin stays in a constant state of rebellion in the winter. However, I think I've come to the conclusion that I just do better with a regular liquid foundation. The one that works best for me is the Neutrogena Skin Clearing one, but I've never tried a department store/high end brand, so there's probably a better choice out there for me, waiting to be found.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've found a product that's much more natural looking than mineral makeup. I will only use Laura Geller's Balance & Brighten. This makeup is not a mineral. It's a liquid that's baked on a terracotta pan for 24 hours. It's in a powder form but it is so natural looking. It only comes in two colors, Fair and Medium. If I want to darken it in the summer I use Makeup Forever's Duo Matte Powder Foundation and I apply a light dusting on top. I get so many compliments on my skin with this product. My biggest problem is going to be trying to use up the mineral makeup I have left. I have so much that it would last me a couple of years to use up. On hand right now I have 14 different brands to use up. I'm just glad I've found a product that finally works for me. It doesn't accentuate my lines and pores and it lasts a long time.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
For the NCN liquid if Iam a NC20-25 which color do you think I would take also Youngblood in Shell thanks
onegirl

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I've been concerned about skin dryness with MMU. I started with minerals about 3 years ago, and have noticed little dehydration lines and some crepey-ness that wasn't there before when I wore liquid makeup. My skin has gone from super oily to dry, but I know skin does change over time. My concern was to avoid the junk in liquid, but not at the cost of drying out my skin and looking old. However, I also remember the challenges of finding liquid makeups that did not break me out, and it wasn't easy. With minerals, my skin has gotten clear.

With no makeup, my texture looks not too bad, but with some minerals or application techniques, looks dry. I've found spritzing does not work the same with certain minerals. Some look good, some are made worse.

MAD and UGloGirl seem to look the best on me and the most natural, where my skin still looks like skin. I've also liked Silk Naturals too.

I'm still experimenting with what gives me the best look without taking every drop of oil I have left. Still open to tips!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I gave up on Bare Minerals in 2005. I really wanted to like it, I had such hopes for mineral makeup as it helped my skin with breakouts, it felt light on my skin and liked the fact that it had SPF in it.

But, as others have mentioned, I found that mineral makeup accentuated fine lines, pores and any dryness, and healing blemishes were more pronounced.

So, I went back to liquid foundation. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Bare Essensials can't say that I like it as much as my MAC liquid. I don't get the coverage and natural look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've given up long ago. My experience was with Bella Pierre. Someone leapt out of a booth in Maui and insisted my skin would look perfect with the palest one they had. Being in a very "holiday" frame of mind, I bought it. After light application, it made me look like a geisha and stuck in my pores. Sad I called the company when I came home and they sent me (at cost) the #2. This did the same - sat in my pores like white chalk. I've also used MAC and it cakes like crazy. Liquid MU for me! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I gave up awhile ago too. I was a huge MMU (Everyday Minerals mostly, though I dabbled in other e-tailer brands) enthusiast for the longest time and swore that it made my skin (combination, acne-prone) better and looked more natural. I realized last year that it was actually making my skin look too mask-like--the natural texture and sheen of my skin was being covered up by the minerals (which can have their own 'shine' but it's not quite as natural).

I could never quite get the right color--it would not be yellow enough, or too yellow, or would oxidize into a vaguely peachy tone, or look sort of grayish, or be the right tone and shade but still contrive to make my face look too pale.

The minerals were messy and it became a chore to do my face every morning--if you don't get the application just right, then you'll look off. If my skin did not look pretty good, then my makeup would look bad.

Finally, I realized the stuff was starting to clog my pores. Minerals are really tenacious and can stick to your face even through a workout or a little rain shower. I double-cleansed every night, with an oil cleanser (DHC) and foaming cleanser, and I used Tazorac, AHAs and BHAs and found that the makeup was difficult to fully remove.

Eventually I just chucked it all and went back to my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer--genius stuff. Doesn't clog or irritate or break me out, has a natural, light finish with a little bit of coverage and is quick and easy to apply. I can also use just my fingers to apply, which means I no longer have to tote around a kabuki brush, or clean it regularly.

Freedom!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
I gave up on Bare Minerals in 2005. I really wanted to like it, I had such hopes for mineral makeup as it helped my skin with breakouts, it felt light on my skin and liked the fact that it had SPF in it.

But, as others have mentioned, I found that mineral makeup accentuated fine lines, pores and any dryness, and healing blemishes were more pronounced.

So, I went back to liquid foundation. Smile

I have to say, I got caught up by the Bare Minerals infomercials - and bought the whole kit and kaboodle. Unfortunately, no matter what I've tried - I just can't get the foundation to look "right". It always just sits right in my pores - making me look like I have HUGE pores (which I don't think I do...). I've never had this problem with any liquid/solid-liquid/stick foundation. So, I'm guessing it's something to do with the powder.

I do like the eyeshadows and blushes - but I just can't see how the loose powder formulations are that much better than those that are pressed.

Plus, when I use the MMUs - my dressing table then ends up looking like a dust storm just blew in! A bit too messy for me. Crying or Very sad
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
onegirl wrote:
I've been concerned about skin dryness with MMU. I started with minerals about 3 years ago, and have noticed little dehydration lines and some crepey-ness that wasn't there before when I wore liquid makeup. My skin has gone from super oily to dry, but I know skin does change over time. My concern was to avoid the junk in liquid, but not at the cost of drying out my skin and looking old. However, I also remember the challenges of finding liquid makeups that did not break me out, and it wasn't easy. With minerals, my skin has gotten clear.

With no makeup, my texture looks not too bad, but with some minerals or application techniques, looks dry. I've found spritzing does not work the same with certain minerals. Some look good, some are made worse.

MAD and UGloGirl seem to look the best on me and the most natural, where my skin still looks like skin. I've also liked Silk Naturals too.

I'm still experimenting with what gives me the best look without taking every drop of oil I have left. Still open to tips!

Don't give up, onegirl! This can be a tough time of year for MMU, but I've found a few quick spritzes of Zenbiotic's Phyto Moisture Spray after applying my MMU works wonders. The spray makes your skin very dewy and hydrated without disturbing the MMU itself. I actually prefer a totally matte look so I only use the Phyto Moisture when my skin is just too dry or flakey to stand, but if anyone is looking for a dewier look with your MMU, this is the way to go. You can get it atwww.zenbiotic.com .

Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |