Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Has anyone given up creams and moisturisers at night?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
When using Dr Hauschka years ago, I remember struggling with giving up creams and moisturisers at night (Dr H believes that your skin needs to breathe and night is the best for that).

But over the last three nights, I have given up the moisturisers, lotions and potions. It's been hot where I live and I couldn't bear the thought of using anything and also, I've been a bit sick and tired of some of my products which haven't really delivered.

So I have just washed my face with my trusty Dr H cleansing cream and then used just a toner (I used a sample of the Suki one - which was beautiful; and I am still going through my YonKa Lotion - which I like but don't love).

Anyway, each morning, instead of waking up to dull, dry or tight skin, I have woken to the nicest face I can remember in a long time. Pores seem tighter, lines seem softer ...

Has anyone else given up the creams and lotions at night? If so, I would be interested as to your thoughts on this.

It's certainly making me focus more on my cleansers, toners and day creams.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've always used a night cream because I thought night time was the time that your skin repaired itself and so anti aging products were more effective at night. It does make sense to let skin breathe at night but I don't know if I could give up my night cream!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Serendipity wrote:
When using Dr Hauschka years ago, I remember struggling with giving up creams and moisturisers at night (Dr H believes that your skin needs to breathe and night is the best for that).

But over the last three nights, I have given up the moisturisers, lotions and potions. It's been hot where I live and I couldn't bear the thought of using anything and also, I've been a bit sick and tired of some of my products which haven't really delivered.

So I have just washed my face with my trusty Dr H cleansing cream and then used just a toner (I used a sample of the Suki one - which was beautiful; and I am still going through my YonKa Lotion - which I like but don't love).

Anyway, each morning, instead of waking up to dull, dry or tight skin, I have woken to the nicest face I can remember in a long time. Pores seem tighter, lines seem softer ...

Has anyone else given up the creams and lotions at night? If so, I would be interested as to your thoughts on this.

It's certainly making me focus more on my cleansers, toners and day creams.
How many people have said just that! Me too. I just use my moisturizers around the eye and mouth area and neck cuz those are my driest areas. Very Happy
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have to admit, sometimes I go to bed without washing up (not very often) and my skin looks fine the next day. I just think it looks better on days after I've used my nightly routine.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
i can do it once in a while, but i think my face will become too dry if i were to do it on a long term basis.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be worried about my face drying out. Maybe it's due to the weather here in Australia - hot hot hot in the West at the moment. Anyway, I think I'll keep this up and see how it goes. I actually don't enjoy the feel of creams on my face anymore ...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Once upon a time, I did my nightly ritual of cleansing and moisturizing right before going to bed. When I woke up in the morning, my under eye area was totally swelled, and I had deep creases down the middle of my chest (I'm a side sleeper.) I remained puffy and lined till the crack of noon.. Sad

I was given the excellent advice of "never apply any creams etc.. just before going to bed", so I gave it a shot, and lo and behold, no more puffy, wrinkled mornings..

I now do all of my cleansing + moisturizing around 7 or 8 in the evening, and just before bed, I splash cold water on my face, neck etc. and pat dry..By then the serums + creams have penetrated and did their job, and my skin can just breathe easy the whole night. It has really made a difference for me.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Yep, it has to do with the hot and humid weather. Where I live is NEVER hot enough for me to give up moisturizer. But I know what you mean as I lived in hot places before.

Moisturizer is actually not necessary, unless you feel your skin is dry. You can always apply moisturizer on drier areas only instead of full face. Many of us on BHA or retinoids at night do that too.

Everyone's skin is different. I never had the problem desribed by Kassy_A. My skin looks better if I moisturize at night and I am a side sleeper too (something to do with the level of elasticity, I think). And all I have to do is finding the right moisturizer that is not greasy and won't break me out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:13 am      Reply with quote
i have also read time and time again that night time is the best time to apply your lotions and potions Laughing as this is the time the skin is repairing it self and this is the time when your lotions and potions will be most effective....now to hear not to apply anything at all Shock

iv beeen applying moisturizer at night for like couple of years now and i think it does me skin good in the morning....else my skin will look dull and dry.........although i do get the odd breakout now and then i think its more due to hormones and diet those breakouts.....

hmmm but well maybe il give your idea a try sometime and see how it goes Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy! That is a great idea. I never thought to apply a couple hours before bed and rinse off before I sleep. I hate having facial products get onto my pillow case and sheets.
I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes.
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I have sooo many lotions and potions to use, I NEED to do the "night ritual" just so that I can justify all my stash!! Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:09 am      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe + simran, you guys are in your 20's, so you're not yet dealing with the looser skin and sagging that us over (ahem!) 50 girls are dealing with..You both can pretty much put anything on at night and it won't be an issue, until you wake up one morning and see your Mama in the mirror... Shock

yomama, give it a try, I think you'll be happy with the result. Just give everything a few hours to absorb before beddy-bye.. Wink

zizi, I know what you mean. There aren't enough hours in the day to use everything..I alternate my nighttime ritual for just that reason. i.e. mon, wed, fri is for intensive serums + creams + tues, thurs + sat is for acids....And even God took a break on Sunday + so I do too.. Very Happy

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erikaj35
5% products discount

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:02 am      Reply with quote
My cosmetician specifically ordered me not to use any kind of cream in my nightly facial routine. I use an eye gel and serum on my forehead and cheeks. Other than that nothing. The skin needs to breath.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I have to use moisturizer on regular basis now. When I was younger, it was a different story.
I think with age, you skin needs a little bit of help. Eating healthy helps also.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I will NEVER give us moisturizers and creams at night. It is the only time that our skin RE-CHARGE so we can look good the next morning!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use a moisturizer at night but also give my skin break every 3-4 nights or so. I discovered this accidentally one night when after washing my face I was too lazy to put my eye and face creams on. Well I woke up the next morning and my skin looked great! So now I usually go 3-4 days with my regular night time regime and then one day nothing, then back to 3-4 days regular regime.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Your skin is the exact same in the AM as it is in the PM. There are absolutely no physiological changes beyond temperature that warrant using completely different products (Except obviously UV). Please don't buy into the marketing gimmicks!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
Your skin is the exact same in the AM as it is in the PM. There are absolutely no physiological changes beyond temperature that warrant using completely different products (Except obviously UV). Please don't buy into the marketing gimmicks!

Question Question Question Question Question

What does a 'marketing gimmick' have to do with whether or not to forgo face creams at night.. Question

My 56 year old face is puffy in the a.m. if I use cream before bed, and NOT puffy if I don't.

But like everything else in life, to each his own.. Nothing works the same for all.

Kassy

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I disagree because if I remember correctly, the night is to give your skin a chance to re cooperate and heal and the day is to protect.

At night, you can use peptides or retinal and during the day, you can use vitamin c and sunblock.

At this point in my life, I do need to moisturize, but I do know that a moisturizer cannot fight wrinkles. It only makes your skin feel more comfortable.
There is different kinds of moisturizers. One kind is the vaseline type where it hold in your natural moisture in your skin, or the other kind is to allow the moisturizer to sink into your skin because you need more moisture and then there is another one, but I forgot what that one does.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I disagree because if I remember correctly, the night is to give your skin a chance to re cooperate and heal and the day is to protect.

Hmmm, the day is to protect, and the night is to recuperate... So when is the time for the pores to be open and receptive to oxygen?

I have my cake and eat it too, by protecting in the day, and moisturizing at night (early evening), and then rinsing with water just before going to bed...(The creams, etc.. have had hours to absorb and work there magic by then)...and my skin is then open and receptive to the healing powers a full nights sleep affords...

Works for me!

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know. Confused I usually wait 20 minutes after washing my face before I put on my vitamin c. Could that be enough?

What do dermatologist say about this?
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I think everyone's skin is different and we each have our routines that our skin becomes acustomed to.
One person's skin may be better when they don't moisturize at night, and another's may be better when they do.
It's all about how your skin reacts to the products.
I too have heard that at night is when the cell renewal process happens for skin. Now if this process is hindered by using or not using a product on your face at night- depends on the product and how your skin reacts to it.

We are all different and therefore all have different routines- do what works best for your skin.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it's suggessted to wait 15 to 30 minutes, after applying vit C, to apply anything on top of it.

Water based products are the real concern, because they cause the C to oxidize.

Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for their different views. I agree that everyone's skin is different. But I find it interesting hearing what people do and trying different things out for myself.

I suppose though that Dr Hauschka's line recommends to all skin types to let your skin breathe at night etc and that was what I found really interesting.

I think I will try the lotioning and potioning in the evening and washing my face before bed. Good suggestion!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I would love not to use anything during night time.But,alas,keeping acne at bay requires me to use something overnight Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |