Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Does it matter if a product is scented/unscented?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for more unscented products (ie NO extra fragrance at all, not we just put a little bit).

Or does scent matter to you? What are your favourite scents?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I would have said it didn't matter not too long ago, but I am becoming less tolerant of gratuitous perfume in skincare products. For example, I really like the effects of Avene's Eluage on my skin, an effective but non-irritating retinoid. But I have come to really dislike the perfumy scent of it. So, I think I will be switching to Retrinal once I finish the pump containers I have of Eluage. And don't get me started about perfumy lipstick--yuck!! Though I admit I really like the orange scent of Julie Hewett camellia oil lip balm and her Bijou sheers. So go figure...
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like perfumey smells but do like the natural scents of essential oils. With essential oils I think they ass to the effectiveness of a product, with the perfumes I don't think they have any benefit.
aarietta
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:16 am      Reply with quote
I like unscented products. Sometimes scented products are too strong for me (in terms of smell).
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:54 am      Reply with quote
It doesn't matter at all as long as the fragrance doesn't irritate your skin. But many natural or artificial scents (including essential oils) have the potential to irritate. And some people might not like to smell the scents.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I usually don't like scented products, unless its a light clean scent. I hate the heavy perfume filled products, because they just feel overwhelming. Plus they are not good for sensitive skin.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes the scent of the product adds to the enjoyment of using the product. It just depends what your skin can handle.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
For me it depends if I like the smell. I usually like shampoos, soaps with nice smell, I prefer citric, raspberry smells for those. But prefer unscented facial serums. However there might be exceptions.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
my vote is for unscented products. I apply many facial products in my skincare and would hate all of them having different scents mixed up, and then scents from hair products are added... the only scent I like to have to stay is my perfume.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:47 am      Reply with quote
For the most part, I HATE scented skin care products. (Decleor is an exception.) I think the chemicals used for the scent are bad for your skin and body. I'm allergic to some of the ingredients in certain perfumes/scented products. I prefer to apply the scent I want where I want it. I use an essential oil blend. And I dot it in my hair rather than putting it on my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
It matter to me, because my skin (and nose) is quite sensitive.
Although it changes every now and then. I have been using a pure goat cream with rose/geranium essential oils, and I really enjoy that scent. On the other hand, I have the same cream with a lavendel scent as well, and I absolutely do not like that scent (and seem to irritate my skin earlier when I personally do not like a scent in my skincare)
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I don't like perfumey smells but do like the natural scents of essential oils. With essential oils I think they ass to the effectiveness of a product, with the perfumes I don't think they have any benefit.

essential oils are possible irritants

mint, spearment, orange, lemon etc are VERY bad for your skin

orange, lemon, and lavender essential oil increae your risk of sunburn as well!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:

I apologize for the bad word there I meant to say ADD to the effectiveness.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. My husband can't tolerate some scented products. I hate to see him suffer with a migraine and allergies. I'm finding the scented products tend to be sickening if I have to smell them all day. My sensitive skin usually gets a rash. Why are the scented products always sickeningly sweet? If I want to wear perfume I'll wear it. My other products don't have to be perfumey too. Especially lipstick! YUK!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:26 am      Reply with quote
I prefer unscented products, but I'm a fan of Cellcosmet and find that the scent that they use are natural. Some EDS members are a huge fan on Ylang ylang oil for their acne and that is scented because it is an essential oil that help treat acne.
Lavender is good to calm red spots and that is scented.

I think it really depends on how and what is used to make the scent.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 am      Reply with quote
It matters to me,because I am very conscious of the ingredients in the products I use.So if I see anything like synthetic fragrance I stay far far away.People with sensitive skin should also stay away from unnaturally scented things. Exclamation
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
yomama606 wrote:
I usually don't like scented products, unless its a light clean scent. I hate the heavy perfume filled products, because they just feel overwhelming. Plus they are not good for sensitive skin.

Exactly!!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:46 am      Reply with quote
I avoid things with a heavy scent or definately avoid artificial scents whereever possible. I dont mind varous EOs though in my facial products or body/hand lotion. Always choose unscented deodorant and hair products (aside from shampoo/conditioner).
If I plan to wear perfume, then I definately want unscented body cream (I like OSEA)

Sometimes though a bit of scent is absolutely necessary as some unscented products have an unpleasant smell from the ingredients. Babor's unscented mask for sensitive skin comes to mind. Ewwww....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
It does not matter to me personally if the product is scented or not. It does not bother me, though, I would prefer it "scented"...

quote="edenfield"]I'm looking for more unscented products (ie NO extra fragrance at all, not we just put a little bit).

Or does scent matter to you? What are your favourite scents?[/quote]
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I prefer non scented products as I am very sensitive to smells. Clean earthy, or fruit scents are fine. Florals can give me big time headaches.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |