Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is there something wrong with department store brands?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
HI all Very Happy
Correct me if i'm wrong but alot of people on this forum always seem to put down department store brands, like clinique, estee lauder and lancome to name a few. Is there something wrong with them? I love estee lauders Idealist. Not even dermalogica products calms my redness as fast as estee lauder's idealist. Do people think that brands like Dermalogica, cellex-c are more effective then department store brands? Are brands like this more potent then say clinique? Have a great day Very Happy
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I am currently using a couple of Clinique products and they are ok. The anti-blemish cleansing foam seems to work quite well on my skin. However, they do recommend that you only use it once a day, I imagine it must be pumped full of chemicals that are too drying for the skin. My skin does sometimes need a rest from it.
The blemish gel is quite effective too. Only to be used in a real emergency though as it can be drying.

I couldn't say if potency comes into the equation. I know that for me, I've tried lots of store bought products and they haven't worked on my skin. I've now decided to try more expensive products that use essential oils and more natural ingredients as my skin doesn't like the harsh chemicals that you can find in some of the high street brands.

If department store brands work for you then I don't see any reason why you should stop using them. Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have found that a lot of drug/department store brands cause my skin to react horribly...Redness, peeling, or more breakouts. I've also found dermalogica to do the same.
I think my skin just reacts easily to chemicals in products. The products that clear up my skin and keep it soft are the more natural based products. I say use what works for you.
Mabsy

Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Well, I don't think that Dermalogica is more potent than department store brands, but it is fragrance free etc and seems gentler than Clinique. I think the only brand that I consistently shoot down is Clinique, with the exception of the Repairwear night cream and some of their makeup. I hate their 3-step program, my skin looks better at first but then things go down hill from there. I think there are a lot of cosmeceutical brands that ARE a lot better/stronger than some of the department store brands.

But I do think most people can find at least one good product in every brand, so basically, whatever works for you! Smile I just prefer salon brands because my skin tends to look better after using them. However, if Lancome came out with a new product and all my friends raved about it I'd buy it and give it a go.

Btw, EL Idealist broke me out in tiny little red bumps (because of the silicone in it maybe? - not sure).

Mabsy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard it said that Department store brands aren't as good because they focus their time and money on advertising and renting space in those high-traffic stores. Whereas spa brands spend their time and money on research and quality ingredients.

Not sure if it's true, but it makes sense.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |