Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Skinceutical's Retinol vs. Avene's Retrinal
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me about Skinceutical's Retinol vs. Avene's Retrinal? How do they compare and which do you think is better? TIA
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've used both Avene Eluage and Skinceuticals .5%. I prefer SC .5% -- works better for me for some reason. Avene Eulage seems more moisturizing and more clogging to me. The scent is also very very strong. I've been using SC for half a year. I used and gave up on Avene Eluage after a couple months.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used the Skinceuticals retinol product, but I have used 2 of Avene's retinoids, Ystheal and Eluage. Here's what my dermatologist told me about retinoids:

If you can tolerate them, the most effective are the prescription ones like Retin A. If you can't tolerate them due to excessive irritation (or if you prefer a non-prescription product), you should pick the strongest over-the-counter product that your skin can tolerate for maximum effectiveness.

Retinol is less bio-available to the skin than is retinaldehyde, the retinoid in all of Avene's products, so Avene's products are much stronger than retinols at equivalent percentages. (And both retinol and retinaldehyde are less bio-available than the active ingredient in prescription retinoids.)

The other thing that matters in choosing a retinoid is the base that the active ingredient is in--some are in emollient bases, some in gel bases, some in alcohol bases. Sometimes it is the base rather than the retinoid that causes problems--trial and error is the only way to be sure you have the right product for your skin.

Avene makes several OTC retinoids--Diacneal has glycolic acid added to its retinaldehyde formula, Ystheal is in a moisturizing base and is not scented, Eluage is also in an emollient base with hyaluronic acid and is heavily scented--all of these are available in Europe. Retrinal is their North American line of OTC retinoids--it is unscented and comes in three strengths. I liked Ystheal for my dry, mature skin, switched to Eluage to get the HA benefit, but don't care for the heavy perfume. I'll be switching to Retrinal when I finish my stash of Eluage.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Thanks flitcraft, just wondering do you use a moisturizer over the Eluage or is Eluage the only thing you use at night? If I were to use the Retrinal should I apply a moisturizer over it?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use a moisturizer over the Eluage, which I find fairly emollient by itself. Also, I don't want to lessen the percentage of the active ingredient by diluting with a moisturizer. I would suggest that you let your retinoid soak in and work for a while before adding any other moisturizer if you think you want or need it.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the Retrinal. Maybe I'm crazy but I ordered the .1% to start with instead of starting with a lower concentration. I'm planning to use it every other night. I might have more questions as I start using it.
suzannek
5% products discount

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Where can you purchase Avene Retrinal? I have used Eluage but did not see any difference after 6 months use and just switched to Ystheal which I am liking it better.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
You can buy it at Dermstore.com, here's a link
http://www.dermstore.com/product_Retrinal+Cream+0.1_6799.htm
suzannek
5% products discount

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Jom. I am tolerating Ystheal quite well using every other night and wondered whether this would be considered the same as Ystheal or stronger.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Jom, would you please update how you are going with Retrinal 0.1%?
what are your results?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Jom, would you please update how you are going with Retrinal 0.1%?
what are your results?

I no longer use Retrinal. I liked it and found it effective, it made my skin clear. It did cause a few breakouts when I first started using it but it is a good product. If you would like the remainder of the product I have to test it before buying feel free to PM me your contact info and I'll send it out to you.
carylthursts

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Jom and Flitcraft, Thank you both for your input. I just went to Dermstore and bought two Retrinal creams. It was exactly what I have been hunting for but didn't know how to locate. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
The magazine NEW BEAUTY had a great article about retinoids that was very helpful too. It said alot that was mentioned in this thread. It also mentioned Skin Medica retinyl complex being good because it had a few different retinoids in it (if I remember correctly Smile )
woshididi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Same question.They both on my wishlist.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I loved Avene Retrinal (worked up through all 3 strengths) before I switched to Rx Ziana. Although I still am using up my Retrinal by alternating with Ziana for now.

Eluage did nothing for me. I am using it on my chest area to use it up.

In one of the EDS threads, I posted that I would love it if Avene products were carried here. In the meantime, I buy them fromwww.skincarerx.com
chouchouzhang
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
i do not use any products with retinol. i always think it is too harsh. Sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |