Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bismuth-Free MMUs
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ferro Cosmetics Ultimate Foundation

Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to Bismuth Oxychloride which, as it turns out, is a colossal pain in the derriere. Confused So for the last year I have been on the hunt for a decent bismuth-free MMU and stumbled upon Ferro's Ultimate Foundation...

I have to say that I really like this MMU. It is bismuth-free and includes both silk and pearl powders. There is no irritation, no flaking, no dryness, no unnatural settling, no reactions or breakouts, just a LOVELY, natural finish that provides enough coverage without being too opaque or too matte/flat/shiny/sparkly and with decent staying powder. As far as colours go, I ordered a bunch of samples and can easily wear at least three, maybe four of them which never happens for me. Of the two finishes offered, the Ultimate was the one I preferred.

Ingredients: Rice Powder, Pure Silk Powder, Crushed Pearl Powder, Titanium Dioxide, Serecite, Zinc Oxide, Mica, Kaolin Clay, Silica, Iron Oxides, Ronasphere, Magenesium Stearate, Calcium Carbonate, Boron Nitride

Pros: good range of colours (for me anyways!), lovely natural finish, completely non-irritating for people like myself who are allergic to bismuth, responsive and helpful CS, free shipping within the US for orders over $49 and $5 flat rate to Canada if your order can fit into one of those flat padded envelopes.

Cons: the samples have gone up and are pricey IMO ($7) as are the foundations (around $24.50) although they do seem to have regular little promotions

It is a total /5 for me.

http://ferrocosmetics.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=7
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:30 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the review havana! With the kaolin clay, it should be good for oily girls!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Havana8 - can you tell me how your skin reacts to Bismuth? I have read about Bismuth being potentially irritating on other threads, and would be interested to know what people mean by it. I have sensitive skin as it is - in that many products give me dry, flaky or itchy skin. Is this the same reaction?

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I react with itchiness, burning, red spots and excema.
havana8

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
This is another one that I really ended up liking....

Crush Mineral Makeup

Crush is another one that I ended up really liking! This MMU offering is a bit unique when compared with what's out there. Not only is it free of bismuth but it is also free of titanium dioxide and mica. Another unique aspect is that all their colours are offered by undertone: red, yellow, olive. If you need them, they offer two colour services: a "match your current shade to our ready-to-wear shades" service at no extra charge, or, if none of their 36 shades for all ethnicities (from the very pale to the very dark) work for you, like Ferro, they also offer a "custom mixing" service for an additional fee.

For me, Crush has worked out to be a totally friendly, non-irritating MMU that performs with decent staying power--there is no disappearing a few hours later or a need to constantly re-touch. The colour match was quite good for me and combined with the light, silky finish, it looks totally natural on without any dryness, caking or settling around the nose etc. and without an overt powdery look, etc.

If your complexion tends more to the oily side (mine is more to the dry side), Crush also offers a Henna & Spice Oil-Absorbing Translucent Powder that looks quite interesting. Oh! And I just noticed that they also offer a "liquid tinted mineral base".

Ingredients: arrowroot powder, comfrey root powder, oat powder, iron oxides, zinc oxide

Packaging: comes in little spice jars

Pros: realistic colour offerings, non-irritating, looks quite natural, responsive and helpful CS; also, if you order refill baggies instead of the jars, they will generously give you 15% off

Cons: it is kind of pricey, IMO at $35 a jar although you could buy it as a refill for 15% less and transfer it to another container; it's only available online

It is a total /5 for me.

http://www.crushgroovecosmetics.com
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks very much, Havana8.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Havana - Which finish is the lightest - least heavy as far as color on the face?

How would you compare the ultimate with the radience

Thanks!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried to order from the Ferro site and each time I hit "Add To Cart" it goes to a page saying The webpage cannot be found... Sad
havana8

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Havana - Which finish is the lightest - least heavy as far as color on the face?

How would you compare the ultimate with the radience

Thanks!

Hi Sister, I think the Radiance Foundation is described as the lightest as far as colour and coverage go. However, when I put Ultimate on one side and Radiance on the other, there is barely, if any, difference between the two. Granted, application, the brush I am using (Mac 187) and how much or little I am actually applying may have a lot to do with that--I apply it sparingly, using as little as possible. I'll bet if I was using my Alima brush, though, the coverage would probably be a bit heavier. HTHs!
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Havana8, i looked at the Grush groove site and can't seem to find their color selection page...can you provide a link?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
Havana8, i looked at the Grush groove site and can't seem to find their color selection page...can you provide a link?

No problem, rosyface. It is a graphic at the bottom of this page:

http://www.crushgroovecosmetics.com/catalog/item/4125155/4003047.htm
havana8

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Pure Zing has a few really positive reviews for Ferro Cosmetics...

http://www.purezing.com/body/body_makeup_face_FE_ultimatefoundation.html

p.s. by the way, their shopping cart feature got fixed
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Some of the jane Iredale pressed do not contain Bismuth they are going shade by shade until it is removed. I have some that is bismuth free

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Most of the small mineral makeup companies do NOT have bismuth. You can get feedback from MMU users onwww.mineralmakeupmania.com. There is also a page listing all the brands and the ingredients.

link to foundation page
http://people.delphiforums.com/tracikenyon/IngredList22405.html

Bare Esscentals (BE) still has bismuth in her formula (gives it glow).

Most of these small companies have sample sizes for reasonable costs.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

Crush Mineral Makeup

Crush is another one that I ended up really liking! This MMU offering is a bit unique when compared with what's out there. Not only is it free of bismuth but it is also titanium dioxide and mica free!

I may have to check this out...I am definitely allergic to Bismuth, but still have itching around my nose even when I use a Bismuth-free MMU. Maybe the Mica is my problem?

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I love Rockit Minerals Glow On foundation. Very good coverage and "glow" but no bismuth. It contains some really cool ingrediants that are good for skin too like Allantoin. There prices are great too.
rockitmineralsmakeup .com
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:14 am      Reply with quote
very interested in crush groove mmu.. anyone order and try? care to review? i searched google and came out with very few..
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I mentioned this brand on another thread, they have always been free of Bismuth Oxychloride.
They sell samples, the site has a chart of comparison to BE. Different formulas for skin's needs.
Aromaleigh

http://www.aromaleigh.com

Aromaleigh is a cutting-edge, indie mineral cosmetics company at the forefront of the mineral makeup revolution. Since 1998, Aromaleigh has been micro-formulating quality mineral makeup to the highest standards to give you an endless spectrum of colors and skin-healthy mineral cosmetics at affordable prices. Aromaleigh truly has something for everyone...

I have been using this for several years and adore it!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Armaleigh sounds great! I have been using Hollywood mineral makeup and it's fantastic! Dol you know if Armaleigh uses nanoparticles? I am trying to avoid them. Can I buy small sample pots to try the colour?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:57 am      Reply with quote
arielstar08 wrote:
Armaleigh sounds great! I have been using Hollywood mineral makeup and it's fantastic! Dol you know if Armaleigh uses nanoparticles? I am trying to avoid them. Can I buy small sample pots to try the colour?

I just found this yesterday and posted on the nanoparticles thread:

Very interesting information about mineral cosmetic ingredients and nanoparticles, I think it might just ease your minds!

http://blog.aromaleigh.com/blog/ingredient-information/

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

Crush Mineral Makeup

Crush is another one that I ended up really liking! This MMU offering is a bit unique when compared with what's out there. Not only is it free of bismuth but it is also free of titanium dioxide and mica. Another unique aspect is that all their colours are offered by undertone: red, yellow, olive. If you need them, they offer two colour services: a "match your current shade to our ready-to-wear shades" service at no extra charge, or, if none of their 36 shades for all ethnicities (from the very pale to the very dark) work for you, like Ferro, they also offer a "custom mixing" service for an additional fee.

For me, Crush has worked out to be a totally friendly, non-irritating MMU that performs with decent staying power--there is no disappearing a few hours later or a need to constantly re-touch. The colour match was quite good for me and combined with the light, silky finish, it looks totally natural on without any dryness, caking or settling around the nose etc. and without an overt powdery look, etc.

If your complexion tends more to the oily side (mine is more to the dry side), Crush also offers a Henna & Spice Oil-Absorbing Translucent Powder that looks quite interesting. Oh! And I just noticed that they also offer a "liquid tinted mineral base".

Ingredients: arrowroot powder, comfrey root powder, oat powder, iron oxides, zinc oxide

Packaging: comes in little spice jars

Pros: realistic colour offerings, non-irritating, looks quite natural, responsive and helpful CS; also, if you order refill baggies instead of the jars, they will generously give you 15% off

Cons: it is kind of pricey, IMO at $35 a jar although you could buy it as a refill for 15% less and transfer it to another container; it's only available online

It is a total /5 for me.

http://www.crushgroovecosmetics.com

Havana, now that cool temps are back it's time to return to mineral makeup (can't wear it in the summer because it's too hot) -- I was considering ordering Dr. Hauschka translucent powder but the prices and the talc put me off. What struck me most about your review of Crushed Groove is the lack of mica, talc,and bismuth... I really can't stand the fake glowy look and since I was just about out of my Everyday Minerals, decided my first makeup purchase in a new decade will be something entirely new...

I just placed an order with crushed groove. For those that are interested, it looks like they're having a special right now... Raw Earth powder is only $15.00 (down from $35) and they have a sampler package where you can try 8 of her products for $15.00(down from $25).

I'm looking forward to receiving this package in the mail and will give a review after I've had the chance to use it.

Thanks for letting us know about this company.

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Aromaleigh's site is back up and accessible again! Smile

I must say their MMU always has a beautiful Matte Finish! Of course it's free of Bismuth Oxychloride!
From The Site:
http://www.aromaleigh.com/

Aromaleigh mineral makeup products are special in that we offer a true matte foundation powder without Bismuth oxychloride- in 31 shades and variable coverage. We offer samples of all loose powder mineral cosmetics, including our vast eyeshadow collection- where the matte colors are truly matte with no sparkle and the frosts are not to be frightened of! Aromaleigh mineral cosmetics are all about looking your best with your makeup on and in turn feeling your best.

Aromaleigh products do not contain micronized ingredients or nano-particles.

All of our mineral cosmetic products are creatively formulated with great care and attention to the highest quality cosmetic-grade ingredients, purity in processing and quality control in all aspects and our processes.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I see EDS is carrying Pur Minerals my second favorite brand! It's bismuth oxychloride free and is great for taking with as they make pressed MMU only! SmileSmileSmileSmile

DM

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I see EDS is carrying Pur Minerals my second favorite brand! It's bismuth oxychloride free and is great for taking with as they make pressed MMU only! SmileSmileSmileSmile

DM

Last I looked, the pressed 4-in-1 MMU does have bismuth in it, but then again, it's only an issue if you happen to be one that is sensitive to it or are trying to avoid it for other reasons.

Athena, I am really looking forward to your comments on the Crush MMU as I think the formula has changed since I first wrote that review. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

DM

Last I looked, the pressed 4-in-1 MMU does have bismuth in it, but then again, it's only an issue if you happen to be one that is sensitive to it or are trying to avoid it for other reasons.

Thanks Havana!
It's been a while since I purchased any as I use the Aromaleigh more than anything, I just use the Pure Minerals for touch ups.
I happily stand corrected!

DM
Smile

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |