Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Obagi Nu-Derm: Difference btwn normal/oily and normal/dry?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sweetji830
5% products discount

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
first of all I'm SO thankful I found this forum!! I read through postings on Obagi for the past couple days and learned a whole lot.

To begin my story, I've been having acne since I was 14 (currently I'm 26). I tried everything from skincare products to prescription medicine like Accutane. Nothing killed my acne for good, although it seemed so when I was on Accutane...then I had even worse acne when I got off it. Never went back after 2 treatment cycles.

Anyway, my acne started to diminish naturally few months ago -- it was a weird process b/c first I had crazy breakouts...then my skin was all dry and I started peeling like crazy. I wasn't taking any medication nor was I using a new product, not even Obagi. So I have to say that God had finally answered my 10-year long prayers and decided to heal my skin Smile After the crazy peeling for about a month, my acne became very minimal.. Now I only have small whiteheads here and there.

So, cut to the chase, I started using Obagi just last night...so basically today is my real Day-1 of using Obagi Nu-Derm system. My mom is in her mid-50s and she wanted to get rid of dark age spots, so she purchased Obagi Nu-Derm starter kit and kindly got one for me too so I can get rid of all my acne scars. The thing is, she has dry skin so she got normal/dry kit for her AND me. I'm thinking I should use normal/oily kit though, since I used to have acne and I'm kinda still oily in my T-zone area.

I saw the website and it seems like the only difference btwn the two kits are Cleanser and Expoderm... should I go ahead and purchase Foming Gel and Expoderm Forte? Right now I'm using Gentle Cleanser and Expoderm. Is there a huge difference between each of those?? I know it's been not even 24-hrs yet but I don't really feel any dryness or redness so far.

Also, am I supposed to use blender+tretanoin every other day? My mom used it every night and her face got extremely red and started peeling like a mad woman by her 3rd day. I'm scared.

Thanks for your insights!! I'll update this posting frequently to let you know about the process I'm going through as I work my way in the next 6 scary weeks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Obagi for 3 years. I got very good result, so 4 of my friends are using it too (1 gal is just 20). All of us are using Normal/dry set.

Since your mom is using the Normal/dry set, I think it's good for you to start with this one too.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should be fine with the normal dry set..I would guess that the cleansers are similar ..the gel may be a little more drying. As for the Fort I really would not worry about it either... but if you are new to tretanoin..you will get dry..so I would use it every other or every third night..if you are in any kind of pain...during the Obagi process cut back on the tretanoin..hope this helps..
Lou
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Hmm...I don't recall ever hearing anyone use Exfoderm Fort successfully. The last person I knew on here that was using the Fort had to switch to Exfoderm because the Fort wasn't work it. Since you have it, use it...even if it might seem like the "wrong" set it will still work as intended. After a few weeks and you see you aren't peeling, assuming you're using enough product each day, then you can think about switching to the Fort.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:34 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the normal/oily set but just purchased the dry/sensitive set to replenish my supply. I like the gentle cleanser in the dry set better even though I have fairly oily skin. The foaming gel cleanser left my skin really tight and dry but the gentle cleanser leaves it softer. I tried the regular Exfoderm for the first time today so I can't report on its effectiveness but I can say it doesn't leave a greasy finish on me like the Exfoderm Forte does. I think you'll be fine with the dry/sensitive set. Good luck!

5% products discount

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your replies!!
So I just went ahead and started using the normal/dry set. So far it seems okay. I'm not peeling bad nor my face is red just yet. I didn't feel dryness until this morning.. I used belnder+tretanoin for 2 straight nights and skipped the third night after reading the replies here.
Some parts of my face is flaky so I guess the peeling will start soon. I'm supposed to throw a party at my house in a week so I'm a bit worried...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I suggest you take it slow before your party...not sure how your skin will react in a week but my first week was my worst...I didn't feel pretty at all.. LOL.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
The peeling is the worst part, I got over the dryness and redness...but you can't do much about the peeling. I found myself constantly checking the mirror, because I didn't want people staring at me and looking at my flaking skin. For someone who hardly ever burns or flakes, having my cheeks,forehead, chin, and nose peeling was so horrifying. But its worth it pain...my skin feels smooth, soft, and the acne scars are fading. I gave up 1st time after 6 weeks of Obagi. I live in southern CA, and its always sunny so I couldn't take it anymore. But now that its winter I am back on it.
sweetji830
5% products discount

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I started breaking out on my forehead a little bit...and started peeling in my nose+chin area. My face is red now and I can't even wear any makeup (I only wear makeup when I go out on the weekends) because my skin is flaky and it looks worse with powder on. My sister asked me yesterday why my pores got so big... Sad
I read some postings here and understand that there could be some breakouts and some enlarged pores during the process. How long does it usually last? And does the peeling go on for the full 6-8 weeks? I can't help myself but to rub my face when I'm in shower and get rid of the dead skin..but I know I shouldn't be doing that, right? Now it hurts and stings when I apply the obagi lotions.. I'm thinking not to use the blender+tretinoin for two days prior to the house party, but I'm still seriously concerned if I should just cancel it...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi is a journey on which it gets worse before it gets better. You have to be prepared for some ugly days (lots of them actually) before the nicer skin starts coming through. That said, if you feel like your skin is getting overly sensitive it might be a good idea to back off for a day or two and let your skin rest.

I'm around 14 weeks into it now and I still have days of redness and peeling, though not as bad as in the beginning. I also have some days of really nice skin so I'm happy. And I rub dead skin off in the shower sometimes; just try to be careful not to rub too hard. I hope things work out for you.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks mamawalnut! I think yesterday and today I'm having a good day...not peeling as bad after i rubbed some dead skin off in the shower... the redness is not that bad either. I took pictures last night to compare later when I get the final results after 15 more weeks. I'll post them later for everyone's benefit Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 am      Reply with quote
You are welcome and we'll be looking forward to seeing your before and after pics. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for all the Obagi questions Confused

To all experienced users, would you rec the N/D or N/O kit for me? I'm 41, fair, sensitive, very oily in Tzone. So I'm torn between being so oily w/ all these congested pores yet having sensitive skin. I plan to use .05% retin a from ADC.

TIA Smile

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom, how sensitive is your skin and what are the things that make it sensitive? Also, are you oily only in the T-zone?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Meant to add, tsjmom, you can always check out the 2 cleansers and their ingredients and see if you find anything in them that might make you sensitive. Also, check out the difference between the exfoderm and the exfoderm forte. These 2 products are the only difference between the dry and oily kits.
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about trying the Obagi C RX line? I have been using it for about a month and my post-acne (maybe post pregnancy?) marks and freckling are almost gone. I have had some redness (especially the first 2 weeks) and a bit of flaking but nothing too serious. If you check out the Obagi website, I think they recommend the C RX for younger skin with hyperpigmentation as opposed to the NuDerm. I also break outs but my skin is now perfectly clear. Worth looking into....
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I thought about the crx line, but I think I need a little more due to my age and clogged pores.

Rileygirl, my skin is pretty sensitive: some s/s sting, I break out in rashes on my body after some showers or exercising, I bruise easily, etc.

The oiliness and clogged pores are in my T-zone, but that zone seems to be expanding wider toward my cheekbones. Imagine drawing a line down from the outside of each iris.

Because I've picked (a lifelong habit and due to extreme stress) I have some scars, especially on the lower third of my face.

I don't like to wear a ton of m/u, so beautiful skin is what I'm after. Thanks for the advice!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom, will you be purchasing a kit or the products separately? If you were purchasing separately, if I were you, I would get the oily cleanser, and the regular exfoderm due to your sensitivity. You could always get the oily skin kit, and then get a regular exfoderm just in case the exfoderm forte is too much for your skin. Just a suggestion!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
To be on the safe side, I think I'm going to order the N/D kit. If I need extra pore cleaning I may get the Clenziderm pore cleaner. I just thought w/ colder weather approaching and the tendency to develop dry tight skin anyway, I'd start with the N/D.

I'm also going to add in SkinMedica's vitamin c in the am.

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, tsjmom!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |