Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
If you had to choose one acid, what would it be?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HelloItsIo

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I'm currently using a 2% salicylic acid by PSF during the day and a 10% glycolic acid gel by Alpha Hydrox at night. The combo is doing fine for me but I keep on hearing about mandelic acid.

Is mandelic acid good enough to blow glycolic acid out of the water?
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using and liking lactic acid - is gentle but leaves my skin more clear and refined.

I am thinking of adding salcylic to the mix.

I have never tried mandelic ... I look forward to the replies.
HelloItsIo

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Frangipani wrote:
I am currently using and liking lactic acid - is gentle but leaves my skin more clear and refined.

I am thinking of adding salcylic to the mix.

I have never tried mandelic ... I look forward to the replies.

I tried a lactic acid moisturizer but I think it's too gentle for me. Is glycolic one of the more potent acids?
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
HelloItsIo wrote:
Hello, I'm currently using a 2% salicylic acid by PSF during the day and a 10% glycolic acid gel by Alpha Hydrox at night. The combo is doing fine for me but I keep on hearing about mandelic acid.

Is mandelic acid good enough to blow glycolic acid out of the water?
No, Hello. Glycolic acid is the mother of all acids. You shouldn't change anything and right on track...except salicylic acid gel in the morning and glycolic at night is overkill at best. I would use only ONE once per day. Alternate them or use every other day. Don't you find your skin gets dry?? Neutral
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I use JM bioclear that has salycilic and glycolic, it works pretty well, but i did just read an article that said using it twice a day can cause skin to harden! so maybe only one is best, or to use a combo one but not as frequently.
HelloItsIo

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting. I used to use just glycolic acid...twice a day! My skin isn't dry at all and I think it's never looked better. At night I do use a moisturizer before applying glycolic. My skin has been feeling dry lately but I think it's from the alcohol in the PSF SA sample I've been using. Confused

Maybe I'll cut back on the acids at night and alternate. Thanks for the advice!
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 am      Reply with quote
I like both lactic acid and glycolic. Some products I use have AHA. So I guess its really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I use cleansers with salicylic acid a few times a week to keep acne at bay. The lactic acid and glycolic are great for skin renewal. I agree, try to not go overkill...you don't want to irritate your skin.
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Mandelic acid is a crossover between salicylic acid and glycolic , it does a bit of both , and it helps with hyperpigmentation ,but I found it to be extremely drying , the one from vivant is much better than mama lotion , but in my opinion if its not broke don't fix it , and if what your doing is working don't change if not try it hope this helps
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:56 am      Reply with quote
For my mature skin I find lactic acid the best choice. It leave my skin hydrated and more refined.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Mama Lotion, contains both malic and mandelic acids.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Glucolic peel acids to renew the skin, once in a white...

quote="HelloItsIo"]Hello, I'm currently using a 2% salicylic acid by PSF during the day and a 10% glycolic acid gel by Alpha Hydrox at night. The combo is doing fine for me but I keep on hearing about mandelic acid.

Is mandelic acid good enough to blow glycolic acid out of the water?[/quote]
oncloudten
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I keep several different acids...lactic, mama
and glycolic. Depending on the weather and how my skin is acting, I adjust accordingly.

Some days I think my skin care cabinet contents resemble the chemistry lab! Smile

V
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I used to be oily/acne prone; skin has normalized to combo with the occasional zit. I use BHA and AHA every morning and sometimes at night too. I don't find this is overkill at all. BHA keeps pores clean within and AHA provides exfoliation at the surface level. From what I understand, lactic and mandelic acids are better for more sensitive, mature or dry skin types.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I used to be oily/acne prone; skin has normalized to combo with the occasional zit. I use BHA and AHA every morning and sometimes at night too. I don't find this is overkill at all. BHA keeps pores clean within and AHA provides exfoliation at the surface level. From what I understand, lactic and mandelic acids are better for more sensitive, mature or dry skin types.

Oops, guess I should have answered the original question. If I could only choose ONE acid, I wouldn't make that choice since both BHA and AHA are crucial steps in my skincare routine. And if I were on a desert island, I wouldn't be able to choose just one thing either, Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
HelloItsIo

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Oops, guess I should have answered the original question. If I could only choose ONE acid, I wouldn't make that choice since both BHA and AHA are crucial steps in my skincare routine. And if I were on a desert island, I wouldn't be able to choose just one thing either, Laughing

No harm. I'm just going to stick with my routine of glycolic and BHA. Although I did just order some mandelic acid samples from GoW and DY. Can't hurt to try it!
LionQueen
5% products discount

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I love, love, love mandelic .... it can be drying, but once you learn to work with it, it's great.

It's antifungal and antibacterial, great against hyperpigmentation, and has a pore-tightening effect when it's on the skin. It exfoliates both the surface of the skin and the pores (though it doesn't penetrate as deeply as salicylic acid).

Glycolic acid irritates my skin, as does salicylic ..... and I like mandelic better than lactic, for all the reasons above. Lactic acid is more hydrating, though.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
LionQueen wrote:
I love, love, love mandelic .... it can be drying, but once you learn to work with it, it's great.

It's antifungal and antibacterial, great against hyperpigmentation, and has a pore-tightening effect when it's on the skin. It exfoliates both the surface of the skin and the pores (though it doesn't penetrate as deeply as salicylic acid).

Glycolic acid irritates my skin, as does salicylic ..... and I like mandelic better than lactic, for all the reasons above. Lactic acid is more hydrating, though.

What products have mandelic acid in them? Can you recommend a product?
LionQueen
5% products discount

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Vivant mandelic line, available from the betterhealthyskin website .... lots of good info there as well.

There's a Vivant mandelic cleanser (nice & mild, I use it because it's antifungal), a 3% toner, a 9% toner, and a 15% serum. I use the 9% toner all over my face and spot treat with the 15% serum.

Diana Yvonne also sells the 15% serum.

Garden of Wisdom sells mandelic marine serums in 10% and 15% concentrations, including an alcohol-free formulation which is nice for dry skin.

Some people like the NuCelle products ... I've never tried them. NuCelle has a huge website and I think the products are available on Amazon.
HelloItsIo

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
LionQueen wrote:
I like the Vivant mandelic line, available from the betterhealthyskin website .... lots of good info there as well.

There's a Vivant mandelic cleanser (nice & mild, I use it because it's antifungal), a 3% toner, a 9% toner, and a 15% serum. I use the 9% toner all over my face and spot treat with the 15% serum.

Diana Yvonne also sells the 15% serum.

Garden of Wisdom sells mandelic marine serums in 10% and 15% concentrations, including an alcohol-free formulation which is nice for dry skin.

Some people like the NuCelle products ... I've never tried them. NuCelle has a huge website and I think the products are available on Amazon.

I ordered a DY mandelic acid serum - is the consistency really like a serum or more liquid?
LionQueen
5% products discount

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
It was probably the Vivant serum .... in which case, it's more of a liquid.
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
so difficult to just choose one.
I think I would pick up at least two.
I MUST need BHA to remove my oil debris inside pores. Another is PHA.

Actually I've tried many acids these years- glycolic, Mix of gluconolactone, madelic... I prefer PHA kind which molecule structure provides high degree of moisturing power, though it's not as strong as AHA.
HelloItsIo

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
MissCay wrote:

Actually I've tried many acids these years- glycolic, Mix of gluconolactone, madelic... I prefer PHA kind which molecule structure provides high degree of moisturing power, though it's not as strong as AHA.

PHA? I've never heard of that type of acid. What products use PHA?
rebeccaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
HelloItsIo wrote:
MissCay wrote:

Neostrata has PHA products, a less irritating form of AHA
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I use AHA 12% souffle from Alpha Hydrox. It's very effective.
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi HelloItsIo

PHA is a family member of AHA. AHA is the mother of acids, while the PHA is more update generation . AHA which possess the smallest molecule size so as to provide better and obvious result on resurfacing. To the PHA, the resurfacing function is milder but its molecule structure can provide "water-lock" function and anti-oxidize. Some products mix with both AHA + PHA to enhance the effectiveness.

Gluconolactone Acid and Lactobionic Acid are the common PHA acids. The later is used as clinical use for storing organs< keep them fresh~!

HelloItsIo wrote:
MissCay wrote:

Smile Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |