Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Check those "empty" pump bottles!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 am      Reply with quote
I know there is usually a bit of product left in a pump bottle after it appears to be empty and won't pump anymore, but the airless pumps (like PSF uses) are even more extreme in how much product they leave behind.

Recently my PSF cranberry eye gel stopped pumping and felt pretty empty. Before I tossed it, I opened it up and I was shocked how much product remained. This was just after New Years. Well, I just finished it today--two full months later!! The moral of the story is, don't assume just because your pumps seem to be empty that they really are. There's almost always a good bit more stuff inside, and in some cases, a couple of months' worth!
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 am      Reply with quote
thx for sharing! I've a bottle of PSF ALA serum almost done... must check it out tonite!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes a good 'whack' on the counter clears the air out, that is preventing the product from filling the 'pump'.

Hold upright, and one good slam should do it.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
grr....wish I would have read this after I finished my first bottle of psf 1% retinol I wonder how much was left in it. Guess I'll find out when I clean out my current bottle of retinol Smile thanks for sharing!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Great tip...thanks! I never really thought to just open it up and see whats left behind. 2 more months worth or product is awesome.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing. I never check that before. Razz
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 am      Reply with quote
could you tell me how to open these containers without breaking them? I can't see where would be a good place to open the top, they seem to be like one piece construction to my eyes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes why didnt I think of that too ?
nice going.

thank you so much
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Let me tell you my Pump bottle story from PSF -

I am on my second bottle of cranberry eye lift gel and first bottle of hydrating eye serum. Two of the three have/had pumps that do not work at all- My first cranberry lift I had to scoop out almost the entire time to get any product. The hydrating gel is the same.

It seems that there is nothing from the Pump portion of the bottle that actually goes into the solution. It seems to rely on "suction" I guess. I will probably not order from them again due to this. Why bother with a pump that does not work. So YES check your bottles.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've always scooped out the last drop of any product I've bought and yes, there's still weeks/months of product left after the pump action gives up.
What I do is stick a Q-Tip down the plastic shaft of the pump and scrape it along the sides and bottom of the bottle.
Also, with tubes, I cut off the bottom and use Q-Tips to get at the end, and use the cut off bit as a cap.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
could you tell me how to open these containers without breaking them? I can't see where would be a good place to open the top, they seem to be like one piece construction to my eyes.

My advice is: Do NOT open this up if it still has a decent amount of product! You will lose all of the benefits of an airless system and introduce more air. If you keep it working properly you shouldn't end up with more then a little dime sized "dollop" left over. Pretty much the same I get left over from any products I've had in regular pumps. At that point you can just unscrew the top and dig the rest out with a q-tip like anya does, so you can be sure none goes to waste. Surprisingly a little bit can really give you many more applications. Wink If you're ending up with more I'm not sure why that's happening but I'm guessing maybe there are airbubbles not allowing the remaining to dispense. Maybe try the "burping" it method? Stick a pin or something like that into the bottom hole and it gets out any air.

I have several of the PSF pumps (StimuColl, Lightening Serum, etc.) and don't have any trouble with these anymore now that I understand how they work. Sometimes they do get "stuck" and initially they won't pump but I just followed the advice of PSF and no problems! Oh, and yep, the hitting it off the table does the trick too! Wink

Also, I felt like a real ninny when I wrote PSF to complain that there wasn't even a tube! Duh! That is the point of the airless pump. Laughing

Anyhow, I followed their advice and not a problem as of yet and I personally like these pump containers compared to a jar as it helps to avoid contamindation.

I found this link on their website and thought maybe it might help:

https://www.psfskincare.com/airless.htm

Hope this helps!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I do that too to check if this is empty. These products are very expensive, we don't want to throw out creams that we can still use.

flitcraft wrote:
I know there is usually a bit of product left in a pump bottle after it appears to be empty and won't pump anymore, but the airless pumps (like PSF uses) are even more extreme in how much product they leave behind.

Recently my PSF cranberry eye gel stopped pumping and felt pretty empty. Before I tossed it, I opened it up and I was shocked how much product remained. This was just after New Years. Well, I just finished it today--two full months later!! The moral of the story is, don't assume just because your pumps seem to be empty that they really are. There's almost always a good bit more stuff inside, and in some cases, a couple of months' worth!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use PSF HA and DMAE gel! Initially PSF had clear glass bottles with a pump and I loved those. I could see the product and how much is left and I like the glass over the plastic. Then they switched to the airless pump and plastic bottles! I called and complained! I have not experienced any problems so far with the airless pump. but I still miss the original glass and old fashion pump packaging!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Doodlebug - I will get my airless pump all primed up and be a happy camper. Hooray. Very Happy
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
It may seem silly but I usually won't buy a product if it is in a pump tube! I feel like I'm getting ripped! I love to scrape every last bit out of my jars, makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth!
Jenny1970
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:27 am      Reply with quote
What good advice, I'm going to order some eye cream from PSF, I'm glad I read this info first.
Thanks Very Happy
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of observations: It seems to me that the airless pumps are most efficient with lighter serums and lotions, and that thicker gels like the cranberry eye gel are particularly prone to clinging to the inside of the bottle and not pumping out. (And yes, I knew about and tried the "whack it on the table" method of getting the pump to work.) So, the thicker the product, the greater the likelihood that you'll need to open it up to get the last of the stuff out.

Also, I would not use this method for anything that might oxidise if it were exposed to air. So, the Stimucol Vitamin C cream probably should be thrown away once it doesn't pump. Otherwise exposure to air will degrade the remaining product. (Personally, I think the Stimucol may be oxidizing within the bottle as it is, since it gets darker as it gets older. That's one reason why I won't re-order that one.)
Jenny1970
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps someone from PSF should be reading these posts. They might consider re-designing their bottles.
Really good information though.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Jenny, yes it might be best for them to look into redesigning for some of the product.

I did get my hydrating eye cream to work with a couple of rounds of whacks and pumping - so I'm good to go - for now. I would never go without checking what was left once the pumping stopped - I've never believed it was all gone, even then.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |