Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Suggestions for best Type/Brand of Retin A for Anti-Aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Okay after a lot of research today on Retin A I think that the Gel based Retin A 0.1% is too drying for and is making my skin look a bit leathery - the top layer dries out and forms sort of tight, dry skin over my face. I started on Retin A for acne and now that is under control I want to keep using as a way to refine my skin texture e.g. bumps, discolouration, pores & fine lines etc without totally drying my skin out?
I would like to keep using Retin A 0.1% but I need to switch to a cream formula. Please could you recommend a good brand to try for anti-aging? Also I buy my Retin A online.
Pandora
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Renova is a brand that is recommended for anti-aging benefits without being so drying. However, it might be too heavy for you since you have a history of acne. You can also get regular Retin-A in a cream base instead of a gel. The Renova might be a heavier formulation but my Obagi Retin-A is fairly creamy. It was expensive though so my next tube is Johnson and Johnson's Retin-A cream that I ordered from inhousepharmacy; I haven't opened it yet to see how heavy it is.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that mamawalnut, I think I will try the Retin A in a cream base. I wonder if the Retin A micro is also a bit gentler even though that is a gel? It's not a lot of fun trying to deal with acne and aging at the same time as the treatments seem to contradict each other a times Confused .
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I use Retin A very infrequently but when I do use it I prefer Renova as it is less irritating and much less drying.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I've been looking into this too (we're Retin-A twins in two threads now! Laughing) because I don't love all the ingredients in my Retin-A base, either. (I'm using the .04% micro-gel, which contains dimethicone, an ingredient that usually clogs my pores and causes acne flare-ups.)

Renova contains mineral oil, which is a MAJOR no-no for me, so that's out. And I totally agree that the gel is too drying -- I've only used it once, but as I recall, it contained an awful lot of alcohol, and it had a weird texture that balled up easily if you layered anything else on later.

I finally found links that show all the ingredients for all the different Retin-A formulations, side-by-side (except Renova, but I already know I don't want to use that):

http://www.retinamicro.com/RetinA.pdf -- for Retin-A gel, cream and liquid formulations
http://www.retinamicro.com/RetinAMicro.pdf -- for Retin-A micro formulation

I know this is kind of nit-picky, but it just seems insane to me to include ingredients that are clearly comedones. I may call my derm and try to switch to the cream version, but then I'll have to worry about the wait-after-washing issue you brought up in your other Retin-A thread. So I'm not sure what to do! Laughing

Let me know what you come up with -- I can tell you from experience with the gel, cream and micro-gel that the cream has always been my favorite formulation, though it did definitely irritate my skin more than the micro-gel does. But now I know that that may have been because I wasn't waiting long enough after washing to apply it!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Ginnielizz I think we are sharing a similar obbsession at the moment! I just really want to find a product that works and that I can use over the long term. I was thinking of trying Renova but like you I am put off by the mineral oil content, it is hard to find a positive comment about mineral oil in skincare anywhere! Thanks for the links you posted I will take a better look at them tomorrow, when I have more time.
I think I will just go with a cream based Retin A and see how I get on and hope the pharmaceutical companies start making a more natural & gentle formulation of Retin A Pray
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
No kidding Pandora, this cracks me up! And if you also start using EM concealers on my recommendation, we really WILL be twins!

I hope you find a formulation that works for you. I'm torn, but I think I'll stick out the Micro at least for the rest of this tube!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
almomof2
5% products discount

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
looking over the ingredient in that link, this is what is in the cream version:

RETIN-A
(tretinoin) Cream contains tretinoin in either of three strengths, 0.1%, 0.05%, or 0.025% by weight, in a hydrophilic cream vehicle of stearic acid, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, stearyl alcohol,xanthan gum, sorbic acid, butylated hydroxytoluene, and purified water.

Containing isopropyl myristate that gets the highest rating of 5 for Comedogenicity and a 3 for irritancy. How is this supposed to clear my acne with that in there?

Heather

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
After struggling with Retin A,all forms, I switched to Tazorac at my derm's recommendation. Here's more info:
Chemically known as tazarotene, it is a synthetically derived retinoid with properties similar to those of tretinoin (active ingredient in Retin-A and Renova). Tazorac is a brand-name prescription drug, owned by Allergan, that is available in gel and cream textures and is prescribed for managing acne. Tazarotene is also sold under the brand name Avage (also from Allergan), and this version is marketed for treating wrinkles and sun-induced skin discolorations. Tazarotene works similarly to tretinoin by modulating cell differentiation and proliferation. It also has anti-inflammatory and immune-modifying properties, which is why it is used (often successfully) as a topical prescription for managing psoriasis Hope that helps!

V
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:35 am      Reply with quote
My derm has me on Tozorac .05 also. Can it be ordered online?

Lou
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
try diluting it with any bland serum, or try retin-a gel .025 , or using it less frequently,
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I have used Tretinoin cream (in all 3 strengths) with the Obagi NuDerm system and found it irritating; giving me red, flaky skin. I switched to Avene Retrinal .05 cream which is much less irritating and I am hoping will perform as well.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 am      Reply with quote
A lot of the comedogenic ingredients help drive the ingredients further...though there are non-comedogenic alternatives out there so why they don't use them is anybody's guess...my guess is that they are slightly more expensive
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |