Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lactic acid products for the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Hello -
I have been using a mixture of lactic acid and body lotion (a sort-of DIY version of Am-Lactin - 15% lactic acid, 85% lotion). Anyway, I love what it has done for the skin on my body.. smooth, glowing.

Does anyone use lactic acid on your face? I was thinking about diluting some lactic acid with distilled water. Not sure yet of the percentage (need to research that).

Just wondering if anyone uses this. Or, are there ready made facial creams with lactic acid?

Thanks!

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hello -
I have been using a mixture of lactic acid and body lotion (a sort-of DIY version of Am-Lactin - 15% lactic acid, 85% lotion). Anyway, I love what it has done for the skin on my body.. smooth, glowing.

Does anyone use lactic acid on your face? I was thinking about diluting some lactic acid with distilled water. Not sure yet of the percentage (need to research that).

Just wondering if anyone uses this. Or, are there ready made facial creams with lactic acid?

Thanks!

Smile

I use it occasionally on my face in the form of lactic acid peels, or the lactic acid product from Skinbiology, which is good. There are ready made products with lactic acid for your face, and you could also just use the Am-Lactin on your face if it doesn't feel too heavy for you.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl -

Yes, I think Amlactin would be too rich for my skin - that is why I was thinking just acid and water. Keep it simple.

Is a lactic peel similar to a glycolic peel. For example, I use NCN pumpkin peel and my skin is just tender for a day. No peeling, flaking, etc. Do you find the same with lactic acid? Thanks for your replies,

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:

Is a lactic peel similar to a glycolic peel. For example, I use NCN pumpkin peel and my skin is just tender for a day. No peeling, flaking, etc. Do you find the same with lactic acid? Thanks for your replies,

They are very similar. However, I find lactic acid much more gentle. Definitely no peeling or flaking with the LA. Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hello -

Thanks!

Smile

Hi 'erg',

I love AHA's (particularly the gentler form, LA).

You might want to check out this thread, if you haven't seen it already;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39426

You can easily add the required amount of LA to this readily available 'retail cream' (of 8% AHA), and not have to worry about all the DIY components that would be required for a really effective AHA/LA product. (You need buffers, pH adjusters and occlusive agents for starters to completely DIY!)

Anyhoo, you can easily up the % of the above retail product to the proven 12% needed to impact the dermis (if collagen building is also a goal).

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Hi 'erg',

I love AHA's (particularly the gentler form, LA).

You might want to check out this thread, if you haven't seen it already;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39426

You can easily add the required amount of LA to this readily available 'retail cream' (of 8% AHA), and not have to worry about all the DIY components that would be required for a really effective AHA/LA product. (You need buffers, pH adjusters and occlusive agents for starters to completely DIY!)

Anyhoo, you can easily up the % of the above retail product to the proven 12% needed to impact the dermis (if collagen building is also a goal).

Hi Kassy,
I just purchased the cream and would LOVE to add LA to it and to increase the AHA % to build collagen. If it isin't too much trouble could you please tell me how to do this...in very basic terms..

Thanks Lou
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:14 am      Reply with quote
HI erg,

I've just ordered the lactic acid to make a body lotion. I too was thinking of making a version for the face, let me know if you try it,

thanks

Jackie xx
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to be a pain in the neck but can someone please tell me how I can up the % of the AHA..

Thanks again,

Lou
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
I'm sorry to be a pain in the neck but can someone please tell me how I can up the % of the AHA..

Thanks again,

Lou

If you want the total to be in the 12% range, and you are using the 4oz (8%) product posted in the other thread, then you need to use 4% of additional LA.

In the 4oz jar you would just add 4.8 ml of LA directly into the jar and stir well.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Algona
5% products discount

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone use Lac-Hydrin 12% (pH 4.5-6) on your face? I've been using this cream for my legs only and never read the ingredients label until now.

After I found out it has 12% lactic acid in the Lac-Hydrin, I tried it on my face and I feel it's kind of sticky and heavy on my skin.
Do you think I should use this cream at night rather than in the morning since I feel it's sticky heavy on my face?
I have a normal mature skin. I'v used Lactic Power 10 from SB, not seen any changes.

Now, I'm waiting for my "gold in a jar" cream from Walgreens to arrive and add additional Lactic Acid to get stronger than 8% (thank you Kassy ).

Kassy_A wrote:
If you want the total to be in the 12% range, and you are using the 4oz (8%) product posted in the other thread, then you need to use 4% of additional LA.

In the 4oz jar you would just add 4.8 ml of LA directly into the jar and stir well.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Loumomofthree wrote:

Thanks again,

Lou

thank-you so much Kassy.
I looked for LA on a couple of the DIY websites listed here and I found a liquid form that is 88& ...since I have no idea what I am writing about I won't even try and guess what 88% means but will this be good or can you recommend where I can find the proper LA. I really thank-you for all your help Kassy. I know we keep you quite busy around here. I am anxious to try one of your DIY recipes but I won't bother you about that just yet...LOL..
Lou
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Not a problem 'Lou', I enjoy answering the PM's and posts, and I'm happy to share the little that I know.

The 88% LA from lotioncrafter is the one I use, and have had no problems with it.

What I neglected to add in my last post for 'increasing the % of LA', is that everybody should 1st be very in tuned with their unique skin, and be sure that you can handle a 12% AHA product before you do this.

Here are a few things to be aware of when considering AHA's that I have learned:

- OTC AHA retail products, in order to meet FDA guidelines for cosmetics, must be a 10% or less concentration and have a pH of 3.5 or above. If you are just looking for a product that will work to improve the surface layer of your skin, then these products will suffice. Used long term, you can increase your benefit, but it will never reach the dermal layer according to the medical info/studies I've read. The manufacturers of these retail products will be cagey with their 'wording', to have you believe otherwise. (Things like "AHA's increase collagen"... Sure it does, but not in the concentration or pH value they are selling Sad )(Sorry, but I can't post paid for literature on a public forum, but the abstract, is easily accessible on "JAAD" (Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology).. The many books I have, confirm this as well.

- In order to affect the dermis (where the collagen lives), an AHA product needs to be at a concentration of 12% or more, and (unfortunately for some), the optimal pH would be 2.5 (3 to 3.5 would be suggested for more sensitive skin, but the lower you can tolerate, the better the results might be. It's also a fact, based on what I have read, that a pH of more than 3.5 is useless when it comes to AHA's. In general, acids are acids after all, and it's the 'acidity' that supposedly makes them work so well at the dermal level.

- I've also read that AHA's get stronger over time, so this could be a reason that you'll seldom encounter a "use by" date on a product. (In my personal opinion as a long time user, I would have to agree that they do indeed get stronger.)

- For anybody who is planning to start a *new* regime of AHA's, I would just suggest that you get used to it slowly with occasional use, and start with a low concentration. Then increase in small increments, as your skin tolerates.

- A little pinkness and a bit of flakes in the beginning is quite normal for those with more sensitive skin. Raw, extremely red, intensely itchy or irritated skin is NEVER normal, and is your signal to STOP.

- Many of you know that I have been a lover + user of "Alpha Hydroxy Souffle 12% AHA"... What you might not know, is that for a while there it wasn't available anywhere... Long story short is this; The FDA clobbers any cosmetic that actually results in *real* skin changes. (These fit the Rx category after all.) Anyhoo, my beloved AHA Souffle is readily available once again, but the BIG HUGE change is it now has a pH of "4".... Well we must take the good with the bad I suppose, but I'm just as happy as can be that a lovely little thing like "citric acid" can get me that lovely 2.5 pH that I know works! Bad Grin

Gotta love the DIY journey I tell ya... Wink

ETA: I wrote to CS regarding the pH of AHS, and they denied that anything was changed. I had no response to further query's. I knew as soon as I applied the product something was different, and it was only after I checked the pH myself, that I checked further. Anyhow, just an FYI.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - You totally rock. How you find this stuff out keeps me in amazement. Thanks for keeping the rest of us mere mortals in the loop.

I have rhino hyde - that is oily skin that is NOT sensitive and 12% souffle always results in a glow for me. It works. I am glad to know I can revise the "revised" formula and make it be what it was. Praise be.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I've had some interesting emails + PM's from folks on this subject, and would only implore that you guys share your thoughts and experiences here as well.

It's a shame when really good info + sharing is kept so private, and so many members are losing out. I learn so many things, just from the thought provoking comments you guys share with me, and then I do a little research, and low and behold *we* learn something new. Isn't that what this forum is supposed to be about, after all?

I absolutely understand the reasons you have all shared with me privately, and yes I agree, that's the biggest shame of all Sad

P.S. AHA's are best used in a night-time regime several times per week. And of course, be vigilant with protecting your skin from the sun during the day.

SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Thanks Rileygirl -

Yes, I think Amlactin would be too rich for my skin - that is why I was thinking just acid and water. Keep it simple.

Hi Erg, sorry to be thick, but I'm new to these boards. What is "NCN"? I love a good pumpkin peel and haven't had a good one in ages.
Thanks a million.
C
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi SoCalGal Smile

It's NCN proskincare, Nancy sells great products and has awesome customer service! Smile

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Many of you know that I have been a lover + user of "Alpha Hydroxy Souffle 12% AHA"... What you might not know, is that for a while there it wasn't available anywhere... Long story short is this; The FDA clobbers any cosmetic that actually results in *real* skin changes. (These fit the Rx category after all.) Anyhoo, my beloved AHA Souffle is readily available once again, but the BIG HUGE change is it now has a pH of "4".... Well we must take the good with the bad I suppose, but I'm just as happy as can be that a lovely little thing like "citric acid" can get me that lovely 2.5 pH that I know works! Bad Grin

Gotta love the DIY journey I tell ya... Wink

ETA: I wrote to CS regarding the pH of AHS, and they denied that anything was changed. I had no response to further query's. I knew as soon as I applied the product something was different, and it was only after I checked the pH myself, that I checked further. Anyhow, just an FYI.

Here is the MSDS for Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle from Neoteric. Note it is dated January 18, 2005. Section II clearly states that the product has a pH of 4.0 so Customer Service is correct when they said that hasn't changed.

http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/files/msds/15140%20AHS1%20SOUFFLE%201.05.pdf

You can also review my post from October 4, 2009 where I stated then that the pH of the Souffle product was 4.0; I personally don't think this product has been reformulated or changed in any way since 2005. JMHO

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=488992&highlight=souffle#488992

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Hi SoCalGal Smile

It's NCN proskincare, Nancy sells great products and has awesome customer service! Smile

Thanks DarkMoon! You're always to the rescue!
Have a lovely weekend!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Hi SoCalGal Smile

Have a lovely weekend!

You have a fantastic weekend too! Smile

Believe me after a year here you will be answering those things for others! I learned about NCN from others here at EDS, we all try and help each other that's what it's all about. Very Happy Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Hi SoCalGal Smile

Have a lovely weekend!

You have a fantastic weekend too! Smile

Believe me after a year here you will be answering those things for others! I learned about NCN from others here at EDS, we all try and help each other that's what it's all about. Very Happy Very Happy

I love it! I hope that in a year I can just keep up with you guys!!! Confused Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
H and Welcome SoCalGal Cool : You will learn lots here and be tempted by all the great possibilites. Smile
If you have the time to hang on the forum frequently you'll be answering with the best of 'em in no time. Google is a quick resource for most things.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:04 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
H and Welcome SoCalGal Cool : You will learn lots here and be tempted by all the great possibilites. Smile
If you have the time to hang on the forum frequently you'll be answering with the best of 'em in no time. Google is a quick resource for most things.

Thank you Sister Sweets! I am really enjoying these boards. I am semi-obsessed with skin care, so I do expect to be here frequently!
I hope you are enjoying the weekend. Cool
caroleray57@yahoo.com

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
a girl a while back (i am still new to this) said she got hydrolic acid tablets at walgreens for lip plumping. i am so excited to try these and a good price too. i will report back to my experience with them.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Kassy - You totally rock. How you find this stuff out keeps me in amazement. Thanks for keeping the rest of us mere mortals in the loop.

Ditto...once again I send my thanks to Kassy,
I am a stay at home mom of three children, I'm 40ish and want to look the best I can. Unfortunately I don't have much time to research much and I depend on angels like Kassy to give me good, honest advice. I understand what works for one doesn't mean it will work for me but I sooooo appreciate anyone who is willing to help me.

I'm not sure I understand the whole ph thing but I get the point, for the aha to work to it's best potential the ph needs to be low. I believe I read (somewhere here) that I can test the ph using pool test strips...I have resilient skin and the Walgreens aha has caused no redness or peeling..I will add the LA to up the % BUT....i'd like to know how to add the citric acid to lower the ph.

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thamk-you

Lou

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Once again...I hate to be a pain but can anyone tell me how to lower the ph level of my AHA so I can get most out of it.

Lou Very Happy

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |