Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How did menopause affect your skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Catski, I too developed melasma that was hormonally, related several years ago. My dermatologist was not enthusiastic about hydroquinone, partly because of concerns about rebound hyperpigmentation, for a mild case like mine. She suggested Vitamin C serum and good sunscreen. She said it would take longer than hydroquinone but would have no potential side effects. So, that's what I did, and I'm happy to say it worked. I can't even see the places where I had the problem now, except a tiny patch near one eye which is frankly unnoticable unless I look hard at the area in my magnifying mirror. So, you do have options.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
mpstat:

Just jumping in here because I have a pretty decent knowledge on the subject of bio-identical hormone replacement. My BF had a hysterectomy in her late twenties and was placed on BioIdentical hormone therapy. You DO need a prescription from a doctor that deals in hormone balancing/management. The Dr. will fax the script into the compounding pharmacy & they will custom mix the prescription to meet your needs as determined by your Dr. The key is to find a Dr. that specializes in this area as most Dr's do not have training or expertise in testing or evaluating the lab values when it comes to proper hormone levels.

Here is an excellent link for further information:

http://www.womentowomen.com/bioidentical-hrt/talkingtodoctor.aspx

BTW-my BF has not had any problems (although her scripts have had to be re-adjusted many times over the years)and she actually looks really nice & youthful for a just turned 40. Her biggest complaint is peach-fuzz facial hair & having to really watch her diet because she can easily gain weight since the surgery.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi I'm starting menopause and my skin particularly on the neck has gotten crepey and have slight jaw thickening (Ugh!). I do not have wrinkles.

I do take HRT. The first edition of the nurses study was badly misinterpreted. It turns out that for everything except breast cancer (and the link is not strong there for younger (50s-60s) women) everything else is positive, cardiac, stroke reduction and better mental funtioning. If you start 10-? years sfter menopause the affect is to add to expected lifetime and significantly enhance quality of life. If you start later there are problems. You can go to MEDLINE to view the articles and many "comments" papers.

Even the first study which averages the ages did not really show bad effects because the results wre ALL within the error bars of the study (and though they make a big deal about the purported results they do admit that the results "are not statistically significant". Really bad science (or not science).

If you have a history of breat cancer in your family avoiding hormones (including bio-identicals") is likely wise. Otherwise you should chose based on your symptoms and whatever other personal reasons affect you.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Here's another excellent website on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT):

http://www.drerika.com/ Her Hormone Solution book (although a bit dated) is excellent as well. Easy, quick read packed full of information. Cheap on Amazon.com

Catski, I've been on BHRT (not to be confused with regular HRT that uses synthetic hormones) for almost a year now and loving it. My skin was starting to get that dry, sallow, just older look no matter how much vitamins, exercise, good eating habits, and products I use. I also started seeing my weight creep up. I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and take multi-vitamin supplements so there's no other factors that could contribute to the weight gain except for the slower metabolism that comes with aging. I couldn't lose the weight and plateau'd at 10 lbs over my ideal weight. With the BHRT, I broke through my plateau. I'm losing the weight. As for my skin, it's gotten the glow back. Some fine lines that are unavoidable, but it's still basically nice now! As for my other PMS symptoms (no sleep, anxiety/depression, weepy, overall b*&ch), they've practically disappeared or dramatically reduced. Sorry, I can go on and on about the positives. Just being able to sleep well again and not drive or act like a maniac during those times are priceless for me! No negative side effects yet, whatsoever.

I also have Suzanne Somer's book. I like it, but please be careful with the Wiley Protocol. Somers devoted a section to that. I've done a lot of research on BHRT also, and the Wiley Protocol is doing more harm than good. Just a warning.

I'm working with my own (HMO) ob-gyn and a compounding pharmacist for my BHRT. If you can't find or afford a doctor specializing in BHRT, my suggestion is to partner with your own doctor that you're comfortable with since he/she already knows you. My doctor admitted she's not an expert on BHRT and is required to give me the HMO schpiel about conventional drugs, but she said she has other patients on BHRT and have gotten rave reviews about it so she's open. She writes my prescriptions and oversees my care, while the compounding pharmacist adjust the drugs and makes the dosage recommendations. By the way, this is mostly out of pocket expense since my HMO wouldn't pay for alternative care like this. Some insurance companies do, though, so check what you're eligible for.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you who haven't crossed the great divide into menopause, I thought it might be helpful to have an idea of what to expect.

Of course no two people or experiences are identical, but perhaps a few other's will also chime in with their journey over the hill.. Wink

Here's mine: (I must really love you guys to bare my soul like this).. Surprised

- From puberty through age 45 my cycle was like clockwork every 28 days, with periods lasting 4 or 5 days. Skin; never suffered from acne, only the occasional hormonal breakout. Normal to combination skin. First sign of wrinkles was fine lines mid 40's.

- From 45 to 48 my cycle became a little unpredictable. In other words, I couldn't schedule a vacation months in advance to avoid a period anymore. I also suffered from PMS and cramps for the first time in my life. Skin; I began to notice an increase in size of my 'dreaded bags' and some slackening of skin at the jawline. A few more fine lines became apparent when I smiled around my eyes.

- From 48 to 49 the real fun began! Major cramps + blood clots with periods ranging from 3 to 7 days for about 3 months. Then I missed a period, and the next thing I new I was getting a period twice a month. That lasted 2 months....Then no period, PMS, cramps or anything for 7 months. I thought I was home free and could finally throw away the tampons..WRONG! Skin; hormonal breakouts more frequent, some dryness on cheeks, horizontal lines on forehead more apparent.

- From 49 to 50, 5 months of totally unpredictable periods ranging from 2 to 10 days from profuse (can't leave the house) bleeding to just spotting. Major cramps, PMS, mood swings + hot flashes. Just when I thought I couldn't take anymore, and was looking for a bridge to jump off, like magic the periods came to a screeching halt....Skin; no significant change from the previous year.

- 50 to 51 EUREKA! 1 year period free. Hot flashes were crazy, but I felt fabulous otherwise. Loved the spontaneous sexy weekends away with DH, and a sexual peak that I hadn't known previously. (Jeez, where was it when I was tiny, taut and cute?) We also had the empty nest bit, so our house became the ...ahem...pleasure palace of lust...EEK!. Shock .......Not to worry, it was short lived.

- 51 to 56 (present) Oh well, I had my fun year, now the real hell began. Hot flashes continue and are gruesome, even my legs are sweaty and gross. DH is meeting up with 'soap on a rope' now and then, since alas, the sexy peak has all but dried up, if you get my drift. The mood swings, crying jags + fatigue have continued to increase more each year. Although recently, I've started to notice a lessening of these symptoms. SKIN; No wonder I'm depressed; every day brings new changes when I look in the mirror. First off, my mother is staring back at me, and although she looks great at 80, I don't remember her looking this old at 56... Crying or Very sad ... The other skin changes are: slack skin 'everywhere', caused by decreased muscle tone. Much more slackening at the jawline, neck and upper eye area. Vertical lines started above lip (I blame this on smoking), deeper crows feet, the dreaded NL lines are beginning to be folds + total loss of muscle tone on upper arms, butt and thighs. In a nutshell; it's not a pretty picture.....The worst part is the feeling of helplessness I get in knowing there's not much I can do about it..The changes are coming faster than I can keep up.

But the good news is, that I found all of you + this forum, on my quest to slow things down a bit. I can't tell you how grateful I am for all the laughs, advice + camaraderie I've found here with all of you in the last 5 months. I honestly feel as though I know you all, and it's become a 'friendship' that I value a great deal.

Thank you all for being there, I truly love you all.... Wink

Kathy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
When I look in the mirror I see my mother. It is hard to feel the same as you did when you were in your thirties but the reflection in the mirror doesn't lie. Since menopause I have larger pores in my T Zone, some lack of elasticity and occasional breakout where pores are larger. Oh, don't let me forget a few goat hairs on my chin Laughing .

All considered I feel confident for my age. Like the rest of you I take pride in my appearance and hopefully growing older gracefully.

Actually, looking like Mom is OK. She was a wonderful person. When I look at myself it reminds me how much I miss her.

Quote:
Mirror, mirror on the wall I am my mother after all!

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Because some of these posts are a little scary, I'll add my story. Don't hate me, but I'm past menopause and never even noticed it happened. Same with my mother and two sisters.

I've had a half dozen hot flashes over the period of a year, but that's it. Haven't had a period in a couple of years. And skin has, amazingly, improved. Because I'm not using benzoyl peroxide and harsh acne treatments, etc. I've gained weight (5 pounds) -- but I can still lose it, if I ditch the sugar.

This may all change in coming years, of course, but I long ago decided to do BHRT. I just went to my doc to get a referral for an endocrinologist who can prescribe specifically for me.

Menopause is nothing like the end of the world. Or the end of anything -- except perhaps childbirth, and that, too, is being proven incorrect. I think of it as the start of my being a person first, then a woman. Rather than the other way around. Much like my life before age 13. Very Happy

It's different for everyone. The range of effects can be quite dramatic. As we've heard here.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |