Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Body shapers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I was watching the Tyra Banks show and heard the term Spanks used when refering to body shapers. Well, I had to look it up as I had never heard of this line before (yes, I live under a rock). Anywho, it seems the line is called SPANX but referred to as SPANKS.

I have been thinking of getting a body shaper that I saw on an informercial, but now I'm wondering if Spanx is a better one.

Does anyone wear body shapers? What brand do you like (it doesn't have to be the two above)? Are they just for special occasions or can you wear them everyday? If you do use Spanx, then how does it hold up over time? Does it stop being very effective (lose shape?)

Thank you

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I personally haven't tried their body shapers, but, all the movie stars do. This is why their clothes look so amazing on the runway - it holds everything in. Spanx is one of the best brands out there.

If you live in Canada you can buy Spanx on the shopping channel. Their on the TSC every couple of months and they have really good show stoppers.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Yep. They work pretty well. I usually wear mine when wearing slinky dresses. No unsightly bumps Smile and it 'tucks' everything in nicely!
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a Spanx Power Panty and wear it on special occasions, certainly not every day. It claims no roll ups on the legs, but in fact it does roll up (on me anyway). While it improves my profile, it's not the miracle garment that it claims to be. I don't look 10 lbs thinner and for some reason, (to me) I look like I'm wearing an undergarment, if you know what I mean Confused
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I have the "Higher Power" Spanx - thigh length shorts that go up to your bra line. The higher 'waist' element of it is great for me as I am very short waisted to tend to a muffintop quite easily. It kinda feels like you're a sausage, but it does look nice.

http://www.spanx.com/pls/enetrixp/!stmenu_template.main?complex_id_in=477024.488695.685819.681433.page

You definately could wear it every day; it's not uncomfortable. For me, as soon as I got it and started wearing it, I lost weight and it stopped being 'supportive' -- tight clothing really motivates me to lose weight, I guess. Really, I should just get smaller and smaller ones, eh? Never really thought about that until now. hmmmm
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I find Spanx to be absolutely indispensable when wearing unforgiving fabrics like thin knits and jersey bottoms but can't stand to wear them during the summer when it's too hot. Pantylines do disappear when you're wearing Spanx! Very Happy

At $25 a pair at Nordtrom's, I prefer to pick these up for only $10 at Nordstrom's Rack. They're certainly more durable and practical than pantyhose!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
i would like to try this. I am in canada. can you only buy them at the shopping channel or is there anywher else you can get them?
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
they are very popular now - all you have to do is google "spanx" and you'll see them. The "better" department stores all carry them (Nordies, Bloomies, etc.) and there is a spanx website where you can order. I wear the tights all winter, and the power panties to work in the summer. I looooove them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
I just purchased a high top body shaper along the lines of Spanx. I have a weird question. Is it awkward to use the bathroom? I don't want to be struggling in a cubicle while 40 women wait in line to go! Also I'm in fear that it will start to roll down over my flub at the worst moment. I guess I'll have to go for a test run. My girlfriend swears by the Spanx. She said it made her look at least 10lbs lighter!
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have a pair of the power panties by Spanx.
They were not what they advertised them to be (at least for me). They roll down at the top every time I bend over or sit down-so I am constantly trying to adjust them (and it's all in vain). When they roll down they create a very unattractive "roll"-in fact, once it's rolled down, I look worse than before I even put them on!

I also find that I can see the leg bands when I'm wearing dress pants. It's not overly noticeable but, it is there. It is more prevalent when I'm sitting down.

When I first tried them on and put on a pair of my jeans-I thought I had found the miracle product. It had trimmed my waistline an inch or two and I loved how I was just "smoother" and more supported. That all changed after one day of wearing them and the "roll down." I'm so disappointed because they had potential.

The problem with me is that my bowel/abdomen swells everytime I eat/drink (medical issue) and the swelling is hard-there is no give to my stomach. Perhaps that's the problem for me since it's not flexible stomach fat that's the issue. I think if I didn't swell it wouldn't roll down so bad and I'd feel nice and smooth.

I've always wondered if a more full structured body suit would be better. I've also wanted to try the Spanx pantyhose.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:06 am      Reply with quote
those of you with the problem with "rolling" might try the version that has a higher waistline... also, for dress pants, they make a version that is like footless tights.

not that I'm addicted to spanx or anything.
Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Kel, I also noticed that problem with the clingy jersey dress pants; once I changed to the footless pantyhose that extend below the knee, problem solved. The ones that hit mid thigh are more suitable under clingy skirts, since any potential rollup is less noticable.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Kel, I also noticed that problem with the clingy jersey dress pants; once I changed to the footless pantyhose that extend below the knee, problem solved. The ones that hit mid thigh are more suitable under clingy skirts, since any potential rollup is less noticable.

Thanks for the tip Athena! I suppose that is true-I've always wanted to try the pantyhose as well, which would obviously not have that problem. Now if only they wouldn't roll like a rock! I need Spanx suspenders!
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Higher Power as well.. I wouldn't want to wear them every day. The rolldown thing bothers me too. I also found that it doesn't so much make me skinnier as change my shape. In some ways it almost makes me look fatter because it kind of takes my hip/lower abdomen fat and squishes it up to where my waist usually is. So I'm more round, if that makes sense. But if you're pretty skinny and just need to smooth out lumps, it might be perfect.
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kel...the Slim n Lift come as a suspender type
shaper. I have that swollen belly after eating too.

And doohicus they are kinda crotchless, not really but they have a slit...pull apart, put back together. Not as bad as it sounds tho.

I haven't tried the spanx because of price. The slim n lift are like $39 for 2 (nude and black) and sometimes you can find them on ebay for a better price.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Geezee, talk about being under the rock Shock Confused Embarassed !!!! I've never heard of any of this Embarassed Embarassed ! And it's not like I couldn't use something to re-shape my bottom. I'm one of those women who have fairly slim upper body (no boobs Sad ), and very curvy and full bottom and tights.
I'll look into this pronto!
Thanks guys!!
Rubby Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
cloud_9 wrote:
I have the Higher Power as well.. I wouldn't want to wear them every day. The rolldown thing bothers me too. I also found that it doesn't so much make me skinnier as change my shape. In some ways it almost makes me look fatter because it kind of takes my hip/lower abdomen fat and squishes it up to where my waist usually is. So I'm more round, if that makes sense. But if you're pretty skinny and just need to smooth out lumps, it might be perfect.

Thanks for being honest about the higher power. I always debated on whether it would work for me....friends told me to try it out b/c it wouldn't roll down as much but, I can't see how it wouldn't roll down-especially if I'm slouched in my chair. Then it would probably create a weird 'torso boob' roll, which I certainly don't need! Smile

The reason I wanted spanx wasn't necessarily to look skinnier (although hey-it would be a great bonus), it was more to smooth things over. Unfortunately the 'roll down' usually just creates a lump that wasn't there before.
Have you ever tried a bodysuit (sort of like a ballet leotard?!) I'm wondering if those are any better.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:23 am      Reply with quote
kj68 wrote:
Kel...the Slim n Lift come as a suspender type
shaper. I have that swollen belly after eating too.

And doohicus they are kinda crotchless, not really but they have a slit...pull apart, put back together. Not as bad as it sounds tho.

I haven't tried the spanx because of price. The slim n lift are like $39 for 2 (nude and black) and sometimes you can find them on ebay for a better price.

Thanks for the tip kj68!!!! I am looking into these pronto! Where do you normally buy them? Unfortunately I can get REALLY swollen (I didn't fit into any of my jeans all weekend) so I know it won't perform miracles but, helping me a little would be nice! Smile
DeborahGail

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just a heads up, they have a generic form of Spanx at Target. Made by the same manufacturers under a different name, can't remember the name. Talked to a woman who has purchased both and she said they are the same and there is a great price difference. I went to look for some but they were all out of the style I wanted, but CERTAINLY worth a look for the dollars they want for Spanx!
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Kel,
I haven't tried a bodysuit style because I need a real bra. I wore the Higher Power with a strapless bra for a wedding I was in, with the higher power on first and the band of the bra on top of it, and it helped a lot on the rolldown effect. The bra had a really wide band, though (4 hooks!), so I think that's why it worked so well.
havana8

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Lipo Contour and LipoShape Body pants? From what I've read, they hold you in and smooth like Spanx but when worn for at least 8 hours per day, they also reduce inches and cellulite over the course of 8 to 12 weeks.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/features/display.var.1443223.0.0.php
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Kel, To be honest with you...the first time I saw the slim n lift, I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (another shopping fettish of mine...gotta have those zzzz's in comfort. When I saw the price of $49, I thought I could find em, or something like them cheaper. NOT much. I wore my nudes today with a dress, they even have an extra support band around waist to hold those hips in. Wink Unfortunately, I didn't notice this til the end of the day. Laughing Laughing Love the suspenders tho to keep from rolling and I love the quickness of using the restroom. I must say...I am ready to take them off...along with my own bra by the end of my 9 hour day. Eh?
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks havana8!!! I'll be checking into those lipo pants...Every little bit helps. Maybe even each little thing will help alot!

Well, a gal can wish! Laughing Laughing Laughing
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you guys!! I had thought this thread was fairly forgotten. I haven't been on here in a while due to work.

Thank you for the Target tip. I plan on a trip tomorrow.

For me, I'm looking to fake the - until I can lose some weight. I work in a very physical job, but with knee surgery I have gained 25 pounds. I am trying to work it off, but right now I'm building muscle mass, but not losing pounds. It has been very frustrating journey for me.

I had a friend who hasn't seen me in a while tell me I had changed a lot from a year ago (I was very thin and strong), not so much now. I took a good look in the mirror and was surprised at how much I've changed. When it happens slowly I guess you don't notice, but when you really look without the filters on...ouch! Talk about a blow to the id.

I'm looking for something that will help me look better now. After 2 1/2 months of trying to get back in shape I can finally fit into a small uniform again; however, it is tight around the butt and overall is still much tighter than it should be. I'm hoping that by wearing it, it will motivate me to keep trying. I am hoping the body shaper can fake it for me until I can lose this damn weight.

Thank you

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
DeborahGail wrote:
Just a heads up, they have a generic form of Spanx at Target. Made by the same manufacturers under a different name, can't remember the name. Talked to a woman who has purchased both and she said they are the same and there is a great price difference. I went to look for some but they were all out of the style I wanted, but CERTAINLY worth a look for the dollars they want for Spanx!

Ugh, if only we had a Target. It's much like our "Zellers" but when I went down to the States I noticed that Target had some nicer stuff that we didn't have. Sad Poop.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |