Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Is a Clarisonic & Using Actives Too Much Exfoliation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering what everyone thinks about using a Clarisonic and using active products - if you think it's too much exfoliation. Do all you Clarisonic users also use actives?
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about using a Clarisonic and using active products - if you think it's too much exfoliation. Do all you Clarisonic users also use actives?

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I FINALLY ordered the clarisonic today but would also like to add a aha to my skin routine but I am wondering if it would be too much.
Lou
Sadrina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use PSF's 2% BHA twice daily, Mama lotion 3x per week, Vit C serum 1x per day, and my Clarisonic every morning and every evening.

I also use PSF's pumpkin enzyme peel about 1x per week.

My skin looks great and I don't feel I am "over exfoliated" at all. Smile
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm similar to Sadrina -- I got my Clarisonic about a month ago, and I use Retin-A at night and I recently started using PSF's Vitamin C serum day and night. And I occasionally throw on some Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, which is a 1% BHA solution, but I'm looking for a better formulation that's slightly stronger. I also just got a new jar of EpidermxII after not having used it for a while.

My skin is pretty sensitive, and there are brief moments when I feel overly exfoliated -- but it's always after I use the EpidermxII! The Clarisonic plus those actives never seems to bother me. I actually think it's much gentler than scrub-based exfoliation methods.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
good question - sometimes I wonder if I overdo it and other than feeling a little extra sensitive, how do you KNOW if you're overdoing it?

I did experience some sensitivity last week. I think but can't be sure if it was the cleanser I was using. I didn't really change anything else in my routine but I did have to notch down my use of actives.

I'm waiting for a new cleanser to arrive and hope it'll work well into my routine; I kind of like the results from all the junk I use and don't want to change Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
So far, using Cetaphil and Celcosmet cleansers do not cause sensitive skin for me. But when I used a facial scrub, KIAJ, with the brush, I found my skin got a bit sensitive.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 am      Reply with quote
HI Athena,
Could you please share your skin care routine. I am 40 yrs old and live in South Florida, I have normal skin with clogged nose and chin area..I am trying to build a good solid routine..but since I am new to all this I love to read what others are doing.
I've ordered the clarisonic and some dremu oil. I use vivian vitamin c and cellcosmet cream and a ss in am and at night I am using tozorac .05.
Have you use mama lotion? I was thinking of trying it to see if it would help with clogged nose.
I've tried the apple peel but it did nothing for me..I may try the pumpkin one next...
I also do a aspirin mask a few times a week.
Lou
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
^^^ yike Lou, it's pretty long but here goes Smile I "postlifted" this routine I posted on another forum, so I guess I'm not violating my own copywrite am I?

I'm early 40's and currently have oily/combo skin, enlarged pores, no blackheads and very, very few breakouts. I have very shallow forehead lines and deeper creases at the corner of my eyes because I smile a lot. I'm still trying to minimize the appearance of large pores and small pits left by too vigorous extractions. Most people I meet for the first time think I'm in my 30's so I must be doing something right for once!

Only a year ago, however, I had very oily/acne prone skin, constant blemishes, deepening dynamic wrinkles on my forehead and corner of the eyes. Within 2-4 hours of makeup, my face was a shiny mess and couldn't leave the house without blotting papers.

Below are all the products I use that resulted in so much improvement and the reasoning behind it. Keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another, but hopefully some of these suggestions will work for you.

I totally credit essentialdayspa.com [EDS] forum for helping me to find the products that have worked so well for my skin. I also drink tons of water, use sunscreen everyday and supplement my diet with MSM and EFA's.

Every morning: Yes I know it sounds like a lot of junk but I'm so used to it now I don't even think about all the steps I take to create my "natural beauty"

1. PSF [Pure Skin Formulations] Papaya enzyme cleanser - I love this company, they offer many organic products and a lot of actives for a lot less $$ than more expensive brands. You can find out more about this line at EDS.

2. EpidermxII [flagship product from Naturderm, small company based in Colorado] - my HG! Best home microdermabrasion I've tried [and I've tried many] I started off using this several times a week and worked up to daily use. When my skin is feeling sensitive, however, I'll cut this step out. Contains all organic ingredients with the exception of the spherical corundrum [same material as rubies and sapphires] crystals help to increase the cellular turnover by removing dead skin cells that promote clogged pores.

3. Squalene oil around my eyes and on neck.

4. PSF 5% BHA serum [ keeps the blackheads away and pores uber clean]- sometimes I'll skip this step but for my stubborn skin, the BHA cleans pores within

5. Homemade anti-blemish serum - I'll post the recipe in another thread.

6. Janson Beckett Organic toner [smells yummy, I wish I could bottle it! restores PH balance]

7. Cellular Skin RX Vitamin C serum - I haven't seen any dramatic effects from this product, but it's my insurance against free radicals that promote aging. I usually wait at least 20 minutes to apply this to obtain the most benefits from BHA solution to exfoliate but when I'm in a hurry, I don't wait.

8. Janson Beckett AlphadermaCE and Skinprep - this is my HG; after 3 months of use, shallow lines on forehead actually minimized to the point that friends and family noticed. Surprisingly enough, it does NOT clog my pores. Many ladies with oily skin can use this! Contains hexapeptide 3 [10% arigelene], Vit C esters and Alpha Lipoic Acid [excellent antioxidants], DMAE [firming] and Elastin

9. Camellia oil [super light hydration]- I also use this in my hair for uber shine and softness. There are some who swear this oil increases collagen levels. I don't have any evidence for this, however.

10. Pearl paste - this is my HG shine control and mattifier. I've recently been experimenting with a DIY paste but it's tricky. If you're new to DIY, PM me and I'll tell you where I purchase it. Inexpensive product that works much better to control oil than many of the more expensive brands I've tried. It contains both pearl and silk powders that have a lot of other benefits for your skin as well.

11. NIA24 sunscreen - one of the few sunscreens that don't clog my pores and feel really icky after application. Doesn't ball up either.

12. PSF Phytolift Cranberry eye gel. I also like PSF's Super Hydrating eye treatment but learned to use it at night only because it makes my eyeshadow crease after a few hours despite UDPP.

---- makeup! Thank god for mineral makeup and silk finishing powder from Everyday Minerals!

PM routine is pretty much the same with a few variations.

1. Pure jojoba oil to remove makeup - about once a week I'll follow up with a long massage with jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is actually a wax that closely resembles human sebum and will actually MELT the sebum clogging up your pores. After I remove my makeup and rinse with warm water, I'll massage a generous amount all over and keep massaging in circular motions for about 15 minutes until I actually feel little plugs popping out. I sit on the couch and watch the news while I do this. Once I'm done with makeup removal, I rinse with cool water [I DON'T use super hot water] then wipe off any remaining oil with a microfiber washcloth. BTW, you can find tons of threads on EDS for this method of cleansing. Use keywords OCM or Oil Cleansing Method if you want to find out more.

2. If I'm nearing my time of the month, I'll use the BHA solution and homemade zit buster at night as well. If not, I'll skip straight to the toner.

3. Janson Beckett Organic Toner -

4. PSF 1% retinol - I believe this is the strongest topical Vit. A you can get without a prescription. If you're new to Vit A you may want to use something like Green Cream. Careful, it can cause irritation in thinner more sensitive skin. I have the skin of a rhino and have never experienced any irritation with this. Wait at least 30 minutes before step 5.

4. Janson Beckett AlphadermaCE and skinprep.

5. Camellia oil all over face, Squalene oil around eyes and neck.

6. PSF Cranberry eye gel, followed by PSF Super Hydrating Eye treatment.

Once a week, I'll use PSF Pumpkin enzyme peel. Contains 8% glycolic acid and the pumpkin contains about 100 trace vit and minerals that really do act as skin food! During the summer, I'll also use PSF Acne Mud mask on a twice weekly basis. During the winter, I only use the mud mask once a week.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
HI Athena,

Have you use mama lotion? I was thinking of trying it to see if it would help with clogged nose.

Lou, no one was more surprised than I that the most effective thing to unclog pores is the jojoba oil treatment. I don't see blackheads crop up to often because the jojoba oil just melts all that sebum away!

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
So far, using Cetaphil and Celcosmet cleansers do not cause sensitive skin for me. But when I used a facial scrub, KIAJ, with the brush, I found my skin got a bit sensitive.

Do be careful -- I'm pretty sure Clarisonic specifically cautions against using any kind of scrub with particles in it with the brush. Apparently it can damage the hardware or something.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
You know, I think there is a limit to what is healthy for skin regarding exfoliation. It may not show up now, especially for some of you in your twenties, but later down the road I'd be afraid of the damage to the skin barrier. Probably a lot depends on your skin. If it tends to be thinner versus thick then I'd definitly be cautious, those using Retinol products from a young age, there are so many variables but adding in glycolics, retin a and the clarisonic type equipment seems to be a recipe for later problems if not used with common sense, which we all have, I'm sure. LOL. I recently saw someone I'd not seen in awhile and I was shocked at her skin. It looked like crepe paper it was so thin and translucent. She'd been using glycolics and other exfoliators for 15 years +. It made me reevaluate my own regimen.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
You know, I think there is a limit to what is healthy for skin regarding exfoliation. It may not show up now, especially for some of you in your twenties, but later down the road I'd be afraid of the damage to the skin barrier. Probably a lot depends on your skin. If it tends to be thinner versus thick then I'd definitly be cautious, those using Retinol products from a young age, there are so many variables but adding in glycolics, retin a and the clarisonic type equipment seems to be a recipe for later problems if not used with common sense, which we all have, I'm sure. LOL. I recently saw someone I'd not seen in awhile and I was shocked at her skin. It looked like crepe paper it was so thin and translucent. She'd been using glycolics and other exfoliators for 15 years +. It made me reevaluate my own regimen.

This is the kind of information that's been on my mind lately. I love exfoliation (Obagi system, KIAJ, NCN pumpkin peel, JM Bioclear lotion, MaMa Lotion, glycolic and TCA peels, Philosophy's microdelivery peel, all at different times of course) but am concerned about all the trauma I'm putting my skin through. My skin is obviously not sensitive and I'd like to keep it that way. I use the Clarisonic as well but find it to be gentle as far as exfoliation goes. I think I'm going to back off the daily acids (maybe do an occasional peel, I really love Philosophy's and it's pretty mild) but continue with the Clarisonic.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
BluesHeart wrote:

This is the kind of information that's been on my mind lately. I love exfoliation (Obagi system, KIAJ, NCN pumpkin peel, JM Bioclear lotion, MaMa Lotion, glycolic and TCA peels, Philosophy's microdelivery peel, all at different times of course) but am concerned about all the trauma I'm putting my skin through. My skin is obviously not sensitive and I'd like to keep it that way. I use the Clarisonic as well but find it to be gentle as far as exfoliation goes. I think I'm going to back off the daily acids (maybe do an occasional peel, I really love Philosophy's and it's pretty mild) but continue with the Clarisonic.
\\

I know what you mean, Mama Walnut. Several months ago I decided to back off which concerned me because of the talk that skin looks worse after getting off the exfoliation but I've not had that experience at all. I've come to the conclusion, for me, that too many actives is not a good thing. I've had more people in the last week or so ask what I'm using because they thought my skin looked nice. So I guess, I made the right decision, for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I do and am similar to some of the other ladies. I use Vit c in morning and alternate with Retin A Lacsal (I think that what is called). No probs for me so far and have the brush for about 3 weeks

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
mamawalnut wrote:
BluesHeart wrote:

\\

I know what you mean, Mama Walnut. Several months ago I decided to back off which concerned me because of the talk that skin looks worse after getting off the exfoliation but I've not had that experience at all. I've come to the conclusion, for me, that too many actives is not a good thing. I've had more people in the last week or so ask what I'm using because they thought my skin looked nice. So I guess, I made the right decision, for me.

You guys are echoing the worries I've had myself recently. Since I'm still in my 20s, I haven't had time to bombard my skin with actives for more than a decade. So I'm not sure what the long-term effects would be, but I too started to get worried that they would be harmful over time.

I brought this up to my derm, and specifically referenced Retin-A as a product of concern. She actually disagreed with me, and said that tons of studies have showed that Retin-A really helps boost collagen production and whatnot, so that it was actually beneficial to skin over time, as long as people using it were careful about photosensitivity issues.

I'm not sure I agree with her 100%, but I do think I'm going to step off of using so many actives. I already steer clear of most AHA stuff, and I do BHA treatments infrequently (and only at night), but I don't know if I'll keep layering those with Retin-A. I also may go off the A eventually, but it does such wonders for my occasional breakouts that I'm reluctant to quit just yet.

Still, it's something to keep in mind. I appreciate you both weighing in on this, and I have to chime in and say that with my Clarisonic, I find my skin looks fab with or without actives. (I was out of both my C serum and my Retin-A prescription when I first got it, and I wasn't using a BHA either. And it still looked fab, when my only real change was the brush.)

Thanks again for weighing in. Smile

BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think you're correct about the Retin A being beneficial over time. I think my worry was using it with all the other exfoliations, primarily some of the acids. This was a good thread to start. It's great to see others opinions.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I also agree that Retin-A is one of the few skin care products that has the research behind it to prove its long-term benefits as long as your skin can tolerate it. When I first started getting into skin care I kept hearing about exfoliation, exfoliation, exfoliation. I remember reading a few times from reliable sources that it was virtually impossible to over-exfoliate as long as your skin didn't get too irritated. Since my skin is pretty resistant I took that advice to heart and started exfoliating aggressively. However, now a couple years have gone by and I'm looking back on how many times I've seen my skin get red, dry, and/or irritated from the frequent peels and treatments. Even though I would recover fairly quickly I can't help but wonder if all the strong acid products I used were really doing more harm than good.

This is an interesting thread. Like I mentioned before I have been concerned lately about my heavy use of acids so I appreciate getting to read others' opinions on the topic.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
i currently use the clarisonic and a lot of actives. its helping clear my hyperpigmentation from an unusual cystic acne breakout last year. once most of the hyperpigmentation is gone though, i'm planning on greatly stepping down all the exfoliating!
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that products like AHA's absorb better into the skin with the Clarisonic. Once I get mine I'll trying using it with B. Kamins acne wash which has glycolic and salicylic acid in it.
gwynethhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:00 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Loumomofthree wrote:
HI Athena,

Lou, no one was more surprised than I that the most effective thing to unclog pores is the jojoba oil treatment. I don't see blackheads crop up to often because the jojoba oil just melts all that sebum away!

JOJOBA oil melts the sebum???
how it works?
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the other ladies that what ever you do in your 20's the fall out shows up 20 to 30 yrs later. Advise to people in their 20's and early 30's enjoy your youth and be kind and gentle to your skin. Wash your face at night use a good moisturizer if needed and use a suncreen. Beleive me this simple routine will not be as effective starting in your 40's so enjoy!
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
The brush seems to do a lot of exfoliating by itself. I wouldn't want to use anything too harsh along with it. You don't want to rub your skin too harshly because it will come back to haunt you later.
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I have used my Clarisonic with ISC&Retin A regimen. In hot weathers it is ok, but becareful if you use them together in fall/winter.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |