Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
New Bra Joy -- Resizing the girls
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:13 am      Reply with quote
I recently got up the courage to go for a bra fitting at a real bra store. Like everyone, I was wearing the wrong size. I needed to go down a band size and up several cup sizes. The result is terrific and so comfy.

Talking to other ladies about the experience, it seems almost everyone wears a cup size that is too small by 2 sizes or so.

What happens?

Does this track with your experience?
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I think this comes from the myth people still get told that a 34C is equal to a 36B and so on. WRONG WRONG WRONG! There are different band and cup sizes for a reason. I hate when I hear lingerie clerks still telling women this. I have a rare-ish size so I have been getting that line for years in order to get me into more popular (and in stock) sizes.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:46 am      Reply with quote
YES -- absolutely. Two years ago I went to The Wizard of Bras in southern California and was amazed to learn I wear a 36D, not a 36B (like always) or a 38A (as Victoria's Secret told me).

I am small and perky, but have armpit fat and a big ribcage. Fitting me is murder. I often do not wear a bra -- and I have given up EVER finding a pretty one.

Still, last week, a Macy's SA measured me as 36B again. I tried one on. No. I tried 36C. No. Even tho she insisted. I finally sent her after a 36D, and felt smug when she had to admit that was my size.

I still didn't buy one, though.

Once you find a bra that fits, it's like an HG. I'll always remember when my two sisters and I found ourselves in a hotel room when we were in our mid-thirties (family wedding). Although we never talk, we all wore exactly the same bra. Go fig. LOL!

And then, of course, it was discontinued. . .

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:03 am      Reply with quote
ugh. bra shopping. I'd rather go bathingsuit shopping....

I used to be a 34DD. Try finding those! the only good thing about gaining a bunch of weight is that now I'm a more commmon 38DD. I am so jealous of people who can buy bras that are cheaper than $50.

sigh.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
YES -- absolutely. Two years ago I went to The Wizard of Bras in southern California and was amazed to learn I wear a 36D, not a 36B (like always) or a 38A (as Victoria's Secret told me).

I am small and perky, but have armpit fat and a big ribcage. Fitting me is murder. I often do not wear a bra -- and I have given up EVER finding a pretty one.

Still, last week, a Macy's SA measured me as 36B again. I tried one on. No. I tried 36C. No. Even tho she insisted. I finally sent her after a 36D, and felt smug when she had to admit that was my size.

LOL I can completely relate. I don't go near victoria's secret anymore. They tried to tell me I was a 34B until I asked them to measure me (knowing what size I am) the look on her face when she had to admit I'm really a 30DD.
I just found HerRoom.com and it's great for finding large cup bras that are pretty! Even in my crazy size they have a selection.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:38 am      Reply with quote
i've never been fitted properly and have no idea what my correct size is but i'n currently wearing a 38DDD minimizer that just squishes the girls out the top and sides. It's the only bra that's even ever come close to fitting. Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am      Reply with quote
OMG!!! It's not just me! Very Happy

We are very limited here (east coast of Canada) in terms of selection for lingerie stores. We have La Senza (think crappier than Victorias Secret) and 90% of their bras have HUGE padding, water, push up, inserts or some crap that I don't need. Trying to find a bra my size (36D-I think!) that supports is a nightmare. All the bras are meant to be pretty and supportive (for those girls with an A cup). I've given up on finding something pretty-I just want something that fits!
I was sized once at a La Senza, so god knows how well it was done. I'd like to go to a nice store and have it done properly.

I recently went to the States and rushed to Victorias Secret thinking it was the mecca of lingerie stores and was I EVER disappointed. Most of the bras only had one or two hooks in the back. That's it!!!! And the straps were so small there was no way they could structurally hold up feathers-let alone boobies! LOL I had always thought VS was supposed to be a nicer bra shop. I guess the grass IS always greener on the other side (of the border)!

Sorry that became longer than I intended-I just hate bras. I'd rather poke myself repeatedly in the eyeball. Neutral
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I love Wacoal bras for support and for quality. And quite a few of them are pretty, too. I wear a 32D, which isn't the most uncommon size but it's still hard to find comparatively. I always flock to the Nordstrom sales to check for Wacoal bras in my size on the sales rack. Failing that, there are some discounters online who sometimes have Wacoal.
ssrandall

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've never been sized, but I think need to.. I was wearing a 32A but stopped when I realized there was a lot of empty space in there! Now I've stopped wearing bras altogether - since I have no idea what size I am - and now I just wear tank tops - I like the ones by Gilligan O'Malley, I find them at Target, they have them in 4 or 5 colors.

I don't need a lot of support - if any, I'm 21 - and I seriously doubt that I'm larger than an A cup.

Sorry that was so long. Embarassed Any suggestions on where to go for a good fitting? (I live in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.)
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I find that the best places to go are local, owner-operated shops. In my experience growing up in the suburbs outside New York, these are places where the nice ladies with thick European accents work (in Europe do they have American accents? Rolling Eyes ) and women go there for fittings for under wedding dresses, or after mastectomies. You have to search a little bit, but if you live anywhere near a city of any size, I bet there is one hidden away in some strip mall somewhere. There's been something like this everywhere I've lived. The women who work there know their stock and bring you what they think will fit, and will work with you individually until you get what you need. Scour the telephone book, or ask around.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I'll look around and keep an eye out for any stores like that.
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a list of some problem solving tips when your bra just doesn't look or feel right. I found it really helpful.
http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-cup-and-band-size,909,30.html

And here is a BRA SIZE CALCULATOR! Fantastic thing indeed. Prepare to be surprised by the truth. I know I was!
http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Noir-Those links were extremely helpful, thank you for posting those! The fit tips were great, usually they are the same ol' tips (that are pretty obvious) but, that site covered every possible 'bra malfunction' that could occur! Smile
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I love the tips too. I'm a little ashamed to say I didn't know the center panel actually laid flat against the body on anyone! Embarassed Laughing So many things they bring up I always thought were problems with the bra itself and not because of the fit, like the wires poking out.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Hmm..the link above is totally giving me the wrong calculation. I know I am a 34C and my co-worker is a 34D. I tried to measure myself and then her, and the result yielded 32B for me, and 34B for her. I have tried on 34B before, and my boobs were so squished. There's no way my co-worker could be a B cup either. You just have to look at her to see it. If either she or I is a B cup, I don't know what my other girl friend would be since she wears a B cup but her boobs are less than 1/2 as big as mine, and 1/4 as big as my co-worker. lol
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
This is the measurement I found that I have used in the past.

http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html?cm_mmc=google-her-_-Oprah_Shop+Oprah%27s+Picks-_-Broad-_-bra+size%7C-%7C100000000000000031468

Quote:
Step 1, Measure for Band Size:

Detailed band measuring instructions here. Keeping the measuring tape parallel with the ground, measure around your bra directly under your bust after expelling all air from your lungs - you want this measurement to be as small as possible.

Round all fractional measurements up or down to the nearest whole number.

If the measurement is even, add 4"
if the measurement is odd, add 5"
Step 2, Measure for Cup Size:
Detailed cup measuring instructions here.
Standing straight, with your arms at your side, measure at the fullest part of your bust (while wearing a non-padded bra) making sure the measuring tape is parallel with the ground and not binding.

Round all fractional measurements up or down to the nearest whole number.

Subtract your band measurement above from this measurement. Generally, for each inch in difference, the cup goes up by one size. See the conversion chart here.

Example:
Step 1: 34" under measurement +4" = 38" band
Step 2: 40" over measurement
Step 3: 40" - 38" = 2" or Cup "B"
Your size would be 38B

For me, my under bust is 28" and add 4" to that is 32". And my over measurement is 34.5" and round that up to a whole number is 35". The diff is 3" which equates to a C. Now 32C is too tight for me and I can't breathe (plus it is really hard to find that size), so I have been buying 34C and haven't had any problem with that size. Also, being a petite girl, a web site I went to before (not this site), said that for a petite girl, the diff of 3" is actually going to be a D cup, and they recommend that I wear 32D, but 32D is even harder to find than 32C!
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
You know, the weird thing is that they aren't all universal. I've looked at a few online and most use different size rules from each other which is aggravating. The one I liked is the one I found to be most accurate but the measurement for above the breast seems to bung it up. If you put in the measurement for the smallest area above all the breast tissue it gives the most accurate cup result.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
My co-worker gave me a 32D bra that she said she bought for the color but couldn't really wear it. lol I am wearing it today. I thought she gave me her 34D bra and never looked at the size tag when I tried it on. So all this time, I thought I could fit in a 34D bra, too, but when I told her, she said a 34D would be too big for me. At that point, I said didn't you give me your 34D bra? She said no, it was a 32D she bought on impulse. haha So I guess I am either a 32D or 34C. I was trying to find the web site I found before that I thought was accurate, but I couldn't. It was the one that mentioned something about if you're under 5'4" and your ribcage measurement is a certain number (maybe upto 28"), the difference between the two measurements will cause you to go another cup size, i.e. 3" = D instead of C. Anyway, good luck bra shopping girls. Very Happy
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've been a somewhat tricky size too -- I used to be a 34DD, but now I've gained weight so I'm more like a 38 DD or even E sometimes.

And I agree that it's seriously frustrating to find small band/large cup bras, or EVER find fuller-figured bras that look nice.

But you know, I've found that FigLeaves.com has helped a TON in my lingerie searches. It's a bit of an odd thing to order online for first-timers, but once you get a feel for which brands work well for you in which sizes, I think it's great. (Plus cheap shipping and free returns, I think.)

They carry a big selection of designer/pretty bras that are attractive but also supportive, and they're one of the better places for really large cups and for small bands.

My best friend's little sister is a 32F, so I've sort of taken her under my wing for bra shopping, and she loves it. And it can be nice to avoid pushy salespeople who are always wanting to come help you adjust things, etc. -- personally I don't mind them, but when my friend's sis was just fifteen, she was kinda wigged out by them so shopping online was a lot less stressful for her.

My favorite brands that I've discovered on FigLeaves are Passionata and Pour Moi. Both have really pretty, girly designs that are supportive but still attractive. And both carry some lined or molded-cup styles which I prefer, but which can be hard to find in larger sizes. (They give better nipple coverage and I actually find that they help keep larger breasts held in place better.) And both have bottoms that go up to large sizes too, which is always nice. And I didn't discover this brand on FigLeaves, but I also love Felina stuff for bigger cups with still-cute designs (and I only wear a D in some Felina styles, oddly enough).

Anyway, just my $0.02. Very Happy Happy shopping and I'm glad some of you have discovered the right fit -- it makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it? I was in the wrong size for AGES thanks to my own youthful cluelessness and a desire to wear the tiny cute bras that they stock more frequently.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
for you all that have found good brands for larger girls, are there any you can recommend with a short underwire? I got an Anita bra whose underwire is about 1/2" shorter than typical and it makes such a big difference -- so comfortable.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz, I think figleaves might have been the site that I first found that I thought gave me a very accurate calculation for the right size, too. My conclusion is 34C is the best size for me. The 32D while I could wear it just feel a bit too tight around my rib cage. I like to wear my bra using the inner hooks, so automatically I used the inner hooks when I wore the 32D. Also, the cup has a tiny wrinkle in the fabric on the right side, but full on the left side. So that means my right side is smaller than my left. So I will stick with 34C. Also I found that Victoria Secret brand's 34C is smaller than other bras like Warners, etc.

BTW, if you're patient, you can get awesome deal and cute bras from Ross. That's my fav place to shop for my panties ($1.99 each for most) and bras (about $6.99). My co-worker got the cutest matching brown lacy bra and panties from Ross for $9 together.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add that I found a nice lingerie specialty store today and went to get sized. They measured me as a 34 C BUT the measurements were wrong! (one look at me and you know I'm not a C! Laughing ) I'm currently wearing a Le Mystere in a 36G!!!!!!!!!!! And it fits like a dream. None of the bras they were bringing out in the C were correct. They admitted that often the measurements are not accurate and the best thing to do is to go in and try on a bunch of bras with the help of one of the staff members. They were so good at noticing the problem areas and automatically knew whether I needed a smaller band, or a bigger cup. It was very helpful. When I try on a dozen bras on my own I often get discouraged and just walk out.

I guess my point is that you should go to a nice lingerie store and ask the lady to help you find something. Don't go off measurements alone. They certainly didn't work for me. Wink
Kel
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Kel wrote:
Just wanted to add that I found a nice lingerie specialty store today and went to get sized. They measured me as a 34 C BUT the measurements were wrong! (one look at me and you know I'm not a C! Laughing ) I'm currently wearing a Le Mystere in a 36G!!!!!!!!!!! And it fits like a dream. None of the bras they were bringing out in the C were correct. They admitted that often the measurements are not accurate and the best thing to do is to go in and try on a bunch of bras with the help of one of the staff members. They were so good at noticing the problem areas and automatically knew whether I needed a smaller band, or a bigger cup. It was very helpful. When I try on a dozen bras on my own I often get discouraged and just walk out.

I guess my point is that you should go to a nice lingerie store and ask the lady to help you find something. Don't go off measurements alone. They certainly didn't work for me. Wink
Kel

So glad you found a place to go!! I don't think I could ever shop for new bras any other way. Enjoy your new purchases!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
sgresnic-Unfortunately, it's in a different province than where I live (I went home for the weekend to visit my parents). However, it's close enough that I can come home and stock up! Smile

It's true-I don't think I can go back to buying bras in a dept. store setting. I was nervous about people seeing the girls Embarassed but it was done very professionally and they weren't whispering "omg did you see her flabby abs?" which is what they were saying in my nightmares.... !
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I don't believe I know anyone who the measurements work for. Not past 34B, anyway. After that it becomes about different shapes, postures, disposition of fat, back width, breast spacing, gravity, etc.

I don't even pay attention to the measurements thing. Once I outgrew 34B in my forties, (although I still have some -- which do not fit), buying a bra became about trying many bras on. Patience and tenacity.

And yes, at a professional underwear store. Not a sexy lingerie shop and not a Victoria's Secret. A place that has a sales woman who walks around with a tape measure draped around her neck. For all the good that tape measure will do you... Laughing

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |