Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do I Clean Make-up Brushes Properly?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

I received a nice set of brushes for Christmas but have been nervous to wash them for fear that they will not return to their nice fluffy shape.
What is the proper way to clean your make up brushes? Do you need a particular cleaning agent? Where should I set them when they're drying? Do different brushes require different techniques?
Also, how long do your brushes take to dry? I don't want to wash my brushes and then have them still wet the next day when I go to use them!

Thanks so much-I appreciate everyone's advice!
Kel
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kel...

Don't be scared to wash your brushes. It's very simple to do, but you have to use a brush cleaner formulated just for this purpose (I use MAC brush cleaner).

I rinse mine first with warm water then squeeze a little brush cleaner on them, suds it up and rinse them very well. Form them a little then place on a washcloth (I usually cover them with a second washcloth).

They really don't take long to dry. I usually do this right after my morning make-up application, so they are good and ready by the next morning, but they are dry well before that. Just fluff them before using.

See...simple as that!
Windyemmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I addition to what CMAYC said, most of the brushes ( particularly the ones made of real animal hair) don't require frequent wash. You only need to wash your brushes used on liquid products every time after you use them, for other brushes that use powder products, I only wash them once per month. I just brush them gently against a clean tissue, and the colors will be taken off easily.

Oh, you can also wash your brushes by using gentle shampoo and followed by a gentle conditioner too if you don't want to invest in a brush wash product.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Baby shampoo works well. Personally, I use CoverFX's brush cleaner as it has tea tree oil in it.

Oh yeah, lay them down to dry, not standing up.
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:00 am      Reply with quote
The rule of thumb is to wash brushes with what you would wash your hair with. Thus, I use my hair shampoo. I gently pat off excess water, shape them, and then lay them down on a towel.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I use a shampoo as well. It works fine on several brands of brushes that I have. If the brush sheds, I think it would have to do with the quality of the brush itself.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I use my facial wash to clean my brushes. I don't wash them too often (maybe once a month), and the last time I did it I actually had to wash them again the day after. I guess I just didn't do a good job (washing or rinsing ?) and the brush felt harsh. I washed it again and the following day it was nice and soft.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Okay-so I guess my next question is how do you wash the brush? Do you just apply the shampoo/cleanser to the outside of the bristles and gently wash the outside of the 'pouf' or do you really ensure that the cleanser is all through the 'pouf'. I hope that made a shred of sense.
I'm worried that if I wash them and get the shampoo in through the bristles that I won't get all the shampoo out, or worse yet-my 'pouf' shape will get messed up and will never return to normal.

Thanks for all the advice guys-I really appreciate it! Smile
Kel
clear skin addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I haved just used a cream soap on my brushes for several years. I used to use shampoo, but I found that plain hand soap works just as well and is less expensive. I just put some soap in the palm of my hand and run the brush through it. Then I massage the brush head gently and run it under warm water until it appears to be clean. Foundation brushes may take longer to clean.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I wash mine with make up brush wash (Trish McEvoy), putting some in my hand and swirling the brush around in it making sure not to get any inside the inside of the handle (there is a word for that but can't remember what it is), then I rinse, rinse and rinse again, the I roll them in a towel to get rid of the excess water. Then leave them to dry on their side, e.g. over a sink or cupboard edge (NEVER standing up as the water would run down inside). I tend to leave them for a couple of days to make sure they are completely dry before putting them in my make up case.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using a small bowl with lukewarm water with baby shampoo, and swirling the brush around, then rinsing with clean water. That's been working fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I use liquid hand soap, and it works very well. I wet the brush and apply the soap and swirl it in the basin, then rinse well. Their dry by morning.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
i wash mine with shampoo or face wash-never had a problem with the fluffies))
alisons79
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I wash mine with brush cleaner (or baby shampoo if I have run out of cleaner) and then squeeze out the excess water. Re-form the brush to ensure its proper shape and let dry. I always leave them for a couple days, as another poster said as well, before putting them away.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful advice guys, thanks so much!
I'm going to try giving them a cleaning tonight, or perhaps this afternoon after I apply my makeup. Hopefully I won't end up with a droopy unfluffy 'pouf'! Smile

I'm sure it'll gross me out to see how dirty they are too...

Thanks again!!
Kel
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I use antibacterial gentle hand soap, and it works great. Gets the makeup out, feels clean, and the brush returns to it natural shape. It is important to lay them flat, usually over the edge....so that all the water gets out. If there is a lot of makeup like foundation or eye shadow brushes you have to rinse a lot. If you have good brushes you shouldn't worry, they will be fine.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Bronner's. Absolutely. I washed my brushes every couple of weeks for years, like a good girl -- and assumed the rose color on my fiber optic was permanent. One day, I used Dr. Bronner's, and they all came out BETTER than new -- and the skunk white was WHITE! I exclaimed so loudly, I frightened the animals.

I keep Dr. Bronner's on hand just for this purpose now -- although the peppermint makes many household tasks "uplifting"! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Sidda- Where do you purchase Dr. Bronners? I love that you "frightened the animals" that sounded like me yesterday while I was cleaning my brushes.....they were SO dirty. I must have rinsed and washed 3-4 times per brush. Embarassed I can't believe I let them get that way. Gross.

Needless to say, thanks to everyones great tips, my brushes survived and are now softer and nicer than they were before! I've also learned to keep up with the cleaning so that my brushes don't have powder caked on the inside bristles.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown has brush cleanser, which is good.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 am      Reply with quote
If your brushes are natural bristles, it doesn't hurt to condition them every once in awhile. I treat my makeup brushes the same way I do my sable watercolor brushes - as a matter of fact, a couple of very small w/c brushes I've moved to my brush roll; the little sable points are perfect for use as an eyeliner!

Back OT, after cleansing brushes with gentle shampoo or castille soap, massage a little olive oil into the bristles from the ferrule to the tip while bristles are still damp. Lay them on the side over the sink or counter [so air circulates around the brush head] for about 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water, reshape and then dry either upside down or on the side as noted before. I condition my brushes every other month and after years of use, they're still in terrific condition.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
wen_goldfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I always use diluted shampoo to wash my brushes and pat dry with a towel and leave them air dry.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I use my own shampoo and heated water (to get rid of germs and what not) to clean the brushes...

Kel wrote:
Hey everyone,

I received a nice set of brushes for Christmas but have been nervous to wash them for fear that they will not return to their nice fluffy shape.
What is the proper way to clean your make up brushes? Do you need a particular cleaning agent? Where should I set them when they're drying? Do different brushes require different techniques?
Also, how long do your brushes take to dry? I don't want to wash my brushes and then have them still wet the next day when I go to use them!

Thanks so much-I appreciate everyone's advice!
Kel
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |