Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Ready to go back to gel nails...please talk me out of it!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lonestar
5% products discount

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ok so it's been over a year since i took off my beautiful gel nails and I miss them soooo much! I miss the look of the nails..the way it made my stubby hands seem longer and more 'polished'...My nails by nature are thin, weak and crack before they grow!! It's so frustrating! And to boot I have THE most dryest cuticles ever! I wish to go back to gel nails but hate what they did to my natural nails. They are getting better but as soon as they grow a bit..they crack and like I said some crack before they grow!! I don't have long thin fingers...only short stubby ones..YUCK! I'm so debating if I should go back to gel....girls please talk me out of it! I have tried OPI Nail Envy and it's ok but am thinking of Nailtiques now...What should I do? And yes I have also tried supplements...not sure if they are even helping...AGH!!!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Why has this post been moved from Skincare to EDS Forum issues? Mods?

lonestar, I'm sorry your nails are such a trouble. I'm lucky I guess to have strong nails, always have. Do your nails still crack if you keep them short and buffed? Have you tried buffing for a natural shine? Have you tried a crystal nail file to shape them? Nailtiques cuticle oil is pretty good, or else you can try brushing some avocado oil around your cuticles and nail bed every night.

If nothing else works, Gel and acrylic nails are there for those who need them. Put 'em back if you have to! Smile

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
lonestar
5% products discount

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
athena123, thank you for replying...I like the nails to be a little longer as my hands are kind of short... but I just did order a crystal file and was thinking about the nailtiques..so maybe I should go ahead with that. Thanks again!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Another trick that really helps is to apply a good oil/balm every single night. I'm really bad about this, but if you do it regularly it'll help keep your nails much nicer as they grow in.

And yet another good tip I read right here on EDS is to use a buffer as a file after you file. It helps smooth things down even more, and it works wonders for me.

But I agree.... gels/acrylics are for those who need 'em. My mum always picked at her cuticles (nervous habit, I guess) when she was a kid, and now two of her nails are all bumpy and hideous. So she gets acrylics and she's finally happy with how her hands look. Praise the advancements that allow you to be happy with your hands, and go for it if nothing else works!

Wow, we didn't do a great job of talking you out of it, huh? Laughing Welcome to EDS...

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 am      Reply with quote
short nails look really good with bright nail polish i think! And and..you should use the money for more makeup and skincare products!
healthy looking nails > fake high-maintenance nails
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 am      Reply with quote
oh actually you should sure those nail polish that makes your nails stronger. I used to have acrylics around 3 years ago and my nails turned all weak and flaky. I used those cheap sally hansen ones but i'm sure you can find something better if you look around. I also took flax seed oil for a while but I noticed I gained weight from them so I stopped. And till this day my nails are still flaky and dry Sad
lonestar
5% products discount

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for replying! I did go out and get a manicure and then the next day they started breaking!! So about 3 of them had to clipped again! AGH!!! The frustration!!! I also started using a nail hardner every night..well I plan on it..and I got a crystal nail file which I heard is better than the regular ones...so let's hope! Thanks again everyone!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:52 am      Reply with quote
lonestar, a crystal nail file will surely help. Since it kind of seals the tips of your nails, they'll be less prone to breakage and snagging. But wow, 3 breaking nails in one day? When you got your manicure did you do the gels or natural? How long do you keep them? I understand wanting to keep nails long to make short fingers appear long and slim, but if they're TOO long, they will be more likely to break.

Good luck!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
lonestar
5% products discount

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 am      Reply with quote
athena123...thanks for replying..when i got the manicure my nails were not that long..just a little bit over my fingers...you know? and i got natural..just got the cuticles trimmed and had them filed so they at least look neat..i kinda like them long b/c then my fingers don't look so stubby..'sigh'...maybe one day i can have them look almost as nice as gel nails!!!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Are you using a cuticle oil, have you ever tried buffing for a natural shine? Be warned, though overbuffing can lead to dry nails that crack, but in the right doses the stimulation from buffing can strengthen them.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
There's a nail care system called Trind. It is supposed to be the mack daddy of nail repair and strengthening products! Good luck - I'd really try to avoid the fake stuff - only ruins your real nails. Check it out.
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
OK, lonestar, step away from the nail technician! (he, he! Laughing )

I'm an esthetician with 12 years experience under my belt and have seen the detrimental effects of artificial nail extentions. In fact, I used to do them but I found that I was always talking my clients out of getting them done. They wanted them for the same reasons you mentioned. A quick fix. In the end, they only damage your nails further (no oxygen flow, dehydration and all the chemicals used).

You have to be patient and keep in mind that your nails, on average, only grow about 1/4 inch a month. So, you're looking at about 4-6 months before you see the true results of any nail strengtheing product.

This is what I recommend you do.........

Schedule regular manicures for the next few months (every 2-4 weeks, depending on your finances): this will keep nails and cuticles looking as healthy as possible.

Use a nail strenghtening cream - the cream I 100% recommend is Gena's Heathy Hoof nail cream (yes, the stuff for horses!). It's inexpensive and works WONDERS!! Rub it into your nails and cuticles as often as possible (at least 2-3 times a day). An added bonus: this works amazingly well for dry, cracked heels too.

Continue to use Nail Envy - another awesome product. It will help keep your nails from breaking. I also would recommend to keep your nails quite short for the time being.

Use a cuticle oil to treat your dry cuticles. I love California Mango's natural cuticle oil. It's a superior product that WORKS and smells delicious so it's a real treat to use. The whole California Mango line is unreal. I especially love their exfoliating scrub.

Make sure you wear rubber gloves when you wash dishes or use household cleaners. And ALWAYS wear gardening gloves when working in your garden (that is, assuming you have one!)

Don't overlook the importance of nutrition. Eat a diet rich of protein, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds. Try to eat 3 servings of fish a week. If you don't like fish, make sure you take an omega 3,6,9 supplement (Udo's oil is great). You can add ground flaxseed and hemp seed hearts to your salads and cereals for extra nutrition. You could also take a Silica supplement. Some people swear by it. Oh, and drink a TON of water! Very very important!

I know this takes dedication but you really can achieve the results you're looking for. Don't give up!! I've seen major transformations over the years. Good luck!!
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:

Use a nail strenghtening cream - the cream I 100% recommend is Gena's Heathy Hoof nail cream (yes, the stuff for horses!). It's inexpensive and works WONDERS!! Rub it into your nails and cuticles as often as possible (at least 2-3 times a day). An added bonus: this works amazingly well for dry, cracked heels too.

Where do you find the Gena's nail cream? Is it as good as Barielle nail cream?

Thanks
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have super dry cuticles and I find when I apply cuticle oil it helps a lot. I like using an oil with a brush. I am actually using cheap Sally Hansen Vitamin E oil that I got from SDM for $6.00.

Another opinion on nails: In the book "How Not to Look Old" the author suggests pale pink natural nails. This is about the only topic that she suggests going LOW maintenance.

Another tip from the book is glossy pink lips instead of dark matte lipstick. She has lots of pictures to show the visual difference. Overall the book is just OK; I am glad I got it from the library. But those are two tips worth mentioning.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I will second the Trind system, I took off my gel nails and switched to this program, the next time I went to get my hair cut she was surprised that it looked as tho I had my nails 'done' again... so with the Trind system and their nail 'brightener' they looks almost as good. I wouldn't say as good, but the benefits far outweigh that fact, and everyone knows gels are fakes, this way they look like and actually are REAL HEALTHY nails!
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
autumn95 wrote:
Where do you find the Gena's nail cream? Is it as good as Barielle nail cream?

Thanks

Most beauty supply shops should carry it. If you can't find it locally (and I'd be surprised if you couldn't), there's always on-line.

http://www.amazon.com/Gena-Healthy-Hoof-4-oz/dp/B0006Q00ZI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1208059401&sr=8-4

Sorry, I can't compare it to Barielle cream, as I've never used it, or heard of it for that matter.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Dahli - I have not used the nail brightener - thought it looked like something I'd like to try out. It sounds like you recommend this. I have seen some great reveiws for Trind on another forum.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I wonder why this thread is under this section?
I think treating yourself to gel nails once a hear is wonderful! I get them done in late fall and have them removed in early spring, because I normally go fishing, camping and hiking during the warmer season. In between my trips, I get a basic manicure and apply Rosebud Salve while I'm camping and swimming.

Thank you EDS for your generous gifts!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Oh! This thread was moved to the right place Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Do you wear nail polish?

Whenever I wear nail polish my nails get really weak too. But I don't like long nails anyway and I keep them reasonably short. Could you try maybe not wearing any nail polish at all (not even clear nail polish!) and try keeping your nails at a reasonable length that you're happy with?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Lonestar, DON'T DO IT! Remember all the bad things about fake nails - it's expensive, time-consuming, damaging to your nails and things go wrong at times you can't get to the manicurist. My nails improved greatly using MSM as a supplement and Nailtiques Formula 2. Nailtiques seems to be the best thing I've ever done for my nails. They are strong, long and healthy. Good luck!
vigirl
5% products discount

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this thread - I am in the same boat - maybe my tale of woe will help someone else avoid this situation, and then I have a question for Trind users...

The tale of woe - it was the end of the term, and no time for a much needed bikini wax before vacation. I had read on another board that magic shaving powder could be used as a depilatory on one's girly parts, and decided to give it a try. The stuff ate through my fingernails! Like I had torn off acrylics or something. My beautiful, natural, biotin-fed nails are trashed. (And we won't even talk about how much I wish I had found time for the bikini wax Sad Sad Sad )

So I am trying to resist running to the nail salon for gels. I looked up the Trind system, but the formaldehyde worries me - bad stuff indeed. So I wonder if someone who's had luck with this would share the details. Which of the products did you use? And is it something you use for a while and stop, or is it an ongoing thing? My stubby hands with wrecked nails would be Oh so grateful...
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I took off my "pink & whites" last summer - due to my financial situation. All non-vital beauty activities had to be cut out (I've cut my hair once in over 6 months & I'm coloring my own hair now Shock ).

My nails were a mess, probably compounded by the fact that I took the artificial nails off myself. I used Nailtiques (I think it was #2) and lots of cuticle oil. I also upped my dosage of MSM and started taking biotin & silica. I also kept them filed fairly short. It took about 3 months for the nails to grow completely out, but my nails are finally looking good. I'm wearing colored polish again - I just wore clear while they were growing out. I think the supplements are helping them be stronger - they definitely helped them grow faster (my hair too - which combined with the lack of haircuts, means my hair is getting longer than it's been in a long time!). My natural nails tend to be thin & split easily and I have stubby fingers too, which is why I got the artificial nails in the first place.

These days I'm just making myself content with healthy looking nails that are just a bit longer than the ends of my fingers...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
lonestar,
I have the most brittle, paperthin nails on the planet. They would tear and break daily and my cuticles were always shredding. Having them in water and chemicals and changing gloves and washing them all day never helped either. Now, as long as I take them faithfully every day, my nails are so strong I have to clip them before I file them: Vitamin C 1000mg + MSM 1500 mg. This is the 1-2 punch for nails, hair, skin for me.
Also, wearing gloves for outside work and cleaning work helps along with using a good thick hand cream regularly. BBW Look Ma New Hands! is a good one. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
My nails are worthless and thin also. I'm too cheap to get gels though, I used to keep them on for years, but when I changed jobs and had to type a lot, I gave them up. Lately though, they grow so fast it's amazing, I think there may be a few reasons for this.

1. I chew on them all the time! I've heard nails grow in response to stimulation, but this is not the best way to get your nails to grow Laughing

2. I started taking Hair, skin, Nails vitamins along with 4 grams MSM, vitamin C, Krill oil, etc. This makes my hair grow faster, so may be contributing to my nails too.

3. I started using one of those spongy nail file/ buffers. I only shape with the fine side and then buff.

4. I use Avon Intensive Callus Cream mixed with some other body lotion on my hands every am and pm. It has a high % of glycolic acid and glycerin I think. This has completely fixed my horrible hang nail problem. Took less than a week to heal them.

5. I started using CP's on my face and Folligen in my hair and it probably gets on my nails too. If you look on SkinBio site, they have a tin peptide nail cream that has great reviews. I haven't used it, but think I will try.

They still aren't as nice as the average persons nails and I need to stop biting them when I'm bored, but they grow so fast now that if I put effort into them, I will have nice looking nails in a week or so, even after I've bitten them down. They are also twice and thick as they used to be.

I say give some of the suggestions here on the forum a try, but don't feel bad if you give in to Gels. I keep putting hair extensions back in, even though I know it's bad Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |