Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
for daily, Sunscreen or Moisturizer w/ SPF?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
I use sunscreen separately after moisturizer daily even most of the time I may stay in office. My aim is mainly to avoid from UVA.

However,one time a salesgirl in the Avene shop told me that for daily, I should use moisturizer w/SPF 15, rather than using a sunscreen, which is expected for going to beach and outdoor activities... Sad

I want to know how're your sun protection daily routine?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I don't think there is any problem with using a sunscreen over a moisturiser. It is purely a personal choice. The most important thing is to wear a sunscreen so it can be either in your moisturiser or added over the top.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:58 am      Reply with quote
I dont think there's any problem using sunscreen daily!!

It sounds more like that Avene salesperson was trying to convince you to buy their moisturiser with SPF15 instead! heehee... Rolling Eyes
amybrown
5% products discount

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:45 am      Reply with quote
You can either wear sunscreen over a moisturizer, or you can buy a moisturizer that has an SPF in it. But you have to make sure that if you are going to use the sunscreen on your face, it has to have a SPF of at least 17.
Mike
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I don't think there is any difference between using a sunscreen or a moisturiser with SPF. The most important thing is that your skin is protected from sun damage by at least SPF 15.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Like others have said, this is a personal choice based on preference and skin type. I have oily/combo skin and don't really need any additional moisture other than the hydration I use from some of my products. Moisturizer with SPF isn't an option because of this, so I use a sunscreen without the additional moisturizers. It's just not necessary for me.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I personlly don't like creams that have an SPF. I have combo skin and I find they are always way too thick and don't sit well under my foundation. I always add a seperate sunscreen(I'm LOVING the new one from Clarins, super light and matte) or I look for a foundation that has SPF in it.
DebL
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 am      Reply with quote
[quote="jenw"]I personlly don't like creams that have an SPF. I have combo skin and I find they are always way too thick and don't sit well under my foundation. I always add a seperate sunscreen(I'm LOVING the new one from Clarins, super light and matte) or I look for a foundation that has SPF in it.[/quote]

Any chance you could let me know the name of the Clarins one?
Thanks in advance.
pink_planet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:06 am      Reply with quote
I use mineral foundation which has spf in them.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
leaf&Rusher's sunscreen is nice.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Devita's Solar Protection 30 is by far the most cosmetically elegant facial sunscreen I have used. It is moisturizing, not greasy, soaks right in, transparent and zinc oxide based. I have drier skin from using acids and I find it provides the perfect amount of moisturization/hydration without becoming greasy during the day.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
januarui, do u have the ingredients for this sunscreen? Thanks!
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Here is the link, http://www.leafandrusher.com/ProductDetail.cfm?Itemid=52.

I can post it here,

Leaf & Rusher® Solar Screen contains soothing moisturizers and antioxidants from vitamin A, C, and E. It provides the maximum allowable defense (SPF 30) for broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection..

I guess this sunscreen is not water proof, so you need to reapply it after wash. The spf is 30 which is enough for summer use unless you are going out.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

There are usually two kinds of sunscreens.

1. Physical sunscreen. Usually uses zinc oxide. This sunscreen is not that greasy, but it is not comfortable,and usually leaves a white finishing.

2.Chemical sunscreen. usually some benzene derivatives. It is greasy, but more comfortable and transparent.

Now those skincare brands have already found out some way to get rid of the greasy-feeling of the chemical sunscreens, so they are much better. I think leaf and rusher is a chemical sunscreen.

For both sunscreens, you need to use make-up remover to remove the sunscreen completely at night, especially zinc oxide. Because both sunscreens are water-insoluble, so you need something like make-up remover to dissolve the hydrophobic or solid stuffs.
januarui
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

You actually need a moisturizer before the sunscreen. Sunscreens are not some pleasant compounds for your skin, some of them can even harm your skin. Besides, if you don't wear a moisturizer before sunscreen, you probably will feel very uncomfortable especially at neck region. Because these active ingredients are supposed to stay on top of your skin for very long time to absorb UVA/UVB instead of going into your skin.

For a winter time, spf15 is enough, for a summer time, spf 30 is better. If you are going to swim, then take a spf30 sunscreen with you and reapply it several times during the day.

Spf can actually reprent how long the sunscreen can stay on your skin, I forgot the real time, I think usually 3-6 hrs? So you can definitly handle every thing if you can reapply sunscreen frequently during the day.

There is also another factor for sunscreen, PA, like PA+++, which means whether it is water proof, the more+, the better water proof it is.

ALl in all, sunscreen is just a protection, you only need to care two things, protection and comforts. That's all.
mrspiggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I apply sunscreen after my moisturizer and it's SPF 35. It works better than those moisturizer with SPF, yes, even when you spend time indoors.

Going to the beach, you will require higher SPF and reapply more frequently.
Alethea
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I prefer moisturizer with SPF. I'm a big fan of the Revitalift line, which includes SPF. I have also repurchased Superdefense, by Clinique, several times. It has SPF 25.

In my case, I find it very hard to get up in the morning Rolling Eyes so I keep my morning routine to the basics. If I had to wait for my cream to sink in, then apply sunscreen...I would be late for work every day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I currently use Janson Beckett's Day Moisturizer SPF 40. I really like this day cream as it give me the correct amount of moisture without being heavy. To date this is my favorite facial sun protection. To layer sunscreen over moisturizer is too much for me. My biggest complaint with this product is it only comes in a 1 oz. bottle. Perhaps I am spoiled with JB's large 4 oz. size bottles. This is one product I wish the company would consider to package in a larger container as I use it daily.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
januarui wrote:

You actually need a moisturizer before the sunscreen. Sunscreens are not some pleasant compounds for your skin, some of them can even harm your skin. Besides, if you don't wear a moisturizer before sunscreen, you probably will feel very uncomfortable especially at neck region. Because these active ingredients are supposed to stay on top of your skin for very long time to absorb UVA/UVB instead of going into your skin.

For a winter time, spf15 is enough, for a summer time, spf 30 is better. If you are going to swim, then take a spf30 sunscreen with you and reapply it several times during the day.

Spf can actually reprent how long the sunscreen can stay on your skin, I forgot the real time, I think usually 3-6 hrs? So you can definitly handle every thing if you can reapply sunscreen frequently during the day.

There is also another factor for sunscreen, PA, like PA+++, which means whether it is water proof, the more+, the better water proof it is.

ALl in all, sunscreen is just a protection, you only need to care two things, protection and comforts. That's all.

I think that the bolded only applies to chemical sunscreens. Physical sunscreens, I believe, are a different story.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I think the only difference between a sunscreen and an spf moisturizer are what the package says. I know sunscreens are supposed to be for beach use, but I think it just boils down to semantics these days. There are sunscreens like badger & uvnatural that are more moisturizing than "moisturizers with spf" but they are still just considered "sunscreens."

I don't think people should mix moisturizers with sunscreens if either one is chemical based because it can water down the sunscreen active(s.)
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Just saw the following on Google Books. Seems like it might have some insightful information on moisturizers & SPF:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZJMQeW_DWAIC&pg=PA578&dq=moisturizer+with+spf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3j9PUtqWDMTAyAHq0oD4Bw&ved=0CGkQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=moisturizer%20with%20spf&f=false
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:54 am      Reply with quote
I will use a moistrue with SPF15 when I will stay indoor for a whole day. If I will stay a long time outdoor, I will use sunscreen.
lagay
5% products discount

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

Is that true? I've always heard that PA refers to protection against UVA rays, the more plus signs, the more protection it gives you (and this type of ray is strong all year round and responsible for premature aging) and SPF refers to UVB, which is responsible for sunburn.

That's what I've always heard, anyway. I've also heard there isn't a truly waterproof sunscreen, just some are better at adhering to the skin than others, but none are truly resistant to water deterioration. For labeling to state otherwise is misleading.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I use spf50 pa+++ sunscreen twice per day
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |