Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Looking old for age
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I look younger at 44 than I did when I was 39. It sounds like you've got a good skin-care regime going to try and address some of the sun-exposure damage and prevent more, which is great. But there are plenty of other things you can do, even if you're not willing to go the botox etc route (which I'm not, though never say never!).

Being the right weight, not too much over and not too much under, is one of the best things we can do for ourselves as we get older. Apart from it being aesthetically appealing and allowing us to wear clothes that won't unnecessarily age us, there are so many benefits to the skin when we eat and drink really well.

Other things that helped me in my 40s:

The right hair cut and colour - what worked for us in our early 30s might not anymore. This alone can take 5 years off a woman!
Well-shaped eyebrows.
The right makeup (there's a great thread going for makeup tips for 40+ ladies).
Manicures and, for spring and summer, pedicures.
Basically, maintaining ourselves well without looking like we're trying too hard. Smile

Most importantly: making the best of what you are so you can embrace it and not spend all your time wishing you were something else. Attitude is so important. I remember reading an interview with Anne Bancroft when she was 70. She said that at the time of the Graduate (when I think she was around 40), she was miserable because she thought she looked so old. With hindsight, she realised how great she really did look and wished she hadn't wasted so much time wishing she looked younger. It's true. I think about all the wisdom and confidence I've acquired that I didn't have when I was 20, and I'm proud to be the age I am.

Happy birthday!

Edit to answer onf of your specific concerns (and apologies for going on and on in this post): I understand you might be self-conscious about your hyperpigmentation, but self-tanners on the face can also be aging. There is some great advice here on EDS to help with hyperpigmentaion. I was able to get rid of mine entirely with tri-luma (though some don't like it because of hydroquinone), and as long as I avoid the sun religiously, it never comes back.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:58 am      Reply with quote
madalyn wrote:
Thanks for the replies, helpful advice and birthday wishes. Smile

Starlight- I bought the pearl cream on ebay its called Pien Tze Huang

Graceless_lady - You are very right in what you say. I do actually look after myself and take a pride in my appearance but having had a lot of attention because of my looks when younger i am finding it hard getting older - i am just too vain and shallow!!
Thanks again
Wink

You're not shallow at all - or, if you are, then I am as well! I too have enjoyed positive attention and flattery because of my looks and, yes, it is difficult to see younger generations stealing the limelight. But I promise you that it doesn't entirely grind to a halt, even in your mid-40s Smile And it's almost always from much younger men than my own age, which makes it even sweeter! I am not vain enough to believe I look as good as I looked when I was 25, or that I could hold my own against all the lovely young women I see and admire, but there really is something to be said for that air of confidence - it's like a seductive perfume.

I remember seeing two young women on a beach a couple of years ago. One was 'technically' much prettier than the other, but it was almost as if she was too self-aware and she appeared a bit frozen. Meanwhile, her friend was animated, smiling,laughing and walking tall (good posture is another great "thinking young" trick); and when the two went in different directions, most eyes continued to follow the one with the smile. I try and adopt the same sort of principle in getting older. I might not have as much to work with as I once did but as long as I can make the most of what I have and believe in myself, I'm still hanging in there and refuse to be invisible!

It's great that you take pride in your appearance, as we all obviously do here on EDS. It says so much about a person, and all the right things too. Not at all shallow!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |