Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SO upset....I can see a moustache in my mag. mirror!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I did something really stupid. I received my epilator yesterday. After successfully removing a couple of chin hairs I proceeded to the legs...no problem.

Then I did it. Embarassed I decided to try it on the very soft peach fuss on the face. Amazingly it did not hurt. This morning I woke up with a raised, swollen rash all over my face. What in the name of God did I do. It feels irritated and a tad itchy. No open sores. How long will it take to go away?

I have to go to work. Best I say I used a cream that I had an allergic reaction to.
Never in my life have I done anything so stupid. Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

It looks worse in person. Right now I have desoximetasone .25 on it. The MD gave this to me when I had contact derm on my arm. It seems to be taking away the itch. Learn from my mistake ladies.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I hope your face recovers soon. Smile

I think the soft peach fuss is meant to be there to protect our pores and skin from bacteria. In my opinion, it's not unsightly at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Wait, if the only way you can see the mustache is through a magnifying mirror, then they are probably really small and unnoticeable to human eyes. I have a few hairs on my upper lip as well, but it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't draw attention of other people. Ask your friends for an honest opinion if they have ever noticed the hair without you pointing it out to them.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I asked the Pharmacist. She said I could have damaged the hair follicles Anxious Maybe I am in denial but I think my skin is extremely irritated. She also told me I should not put cortisone cream on my face. However, it did take down the inflammation and redness some. I just took my dogs for a walk before work. The cool air on my face felt good.

Do any of you think Tend Skin will help?

What was I thinking? I don't have but peach fuss on my face. My experiment went very wrong.

NEVER put an epilator to your face!!!!

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
I asked the Pharmacist. She said I could have damaged the hair follicles Anxious Maybe I am in denial but I think my skin is extremely irritated. She also told me I should not put cortisone cream on my face. However, it did take down the inflammation and redness some. I just took my dogs for a walk before work. The cool air on my face felt good.

What was I thinking? I don't have but peach fuss on my face. My experiment went very wrong.

Oh Winnie! Bless your heart but it sounds so much like something I'd do which is why I stay away from those gadgets. I think you've got some sort of irritation. I'd do a light layer of something for irritation and maybe something healing on top. I'm not a huge emu oil fan but I keep it around for booboos and I think this is a BOOBOO of the highest order.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I would also suggest to try some neosporin, and then some Emu oil.

Good luck,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie - DEFINITELY give Tend Skin a try. We used it at both the spa and medspa and it works great. I know you're not going to use it on your face again, but for those of you who are, apply Tend Skin prior to your hair removal and then again afterwards. Winnie, yours should clear up quickly with it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:

Oh no! Sounds awful! It really does remind me of some stuff I've tried on my face to get rid of unwanted hair. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but shaving really is the safest and easiest solution.

I hope it heals soon! Try putting some aloe vera on it, maybe that'll help. When I used to wax my upper lip, immediately after removing the wax residue with the oil and then washing off the oil, I would put a thick layer of painkilling antibacterial ointment on it (the first aid stuff you put on a cut). That would make the redness and irritation go away faster.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Winnie calm down, it will go away.

The same exact thing happened to my legs the first time I used an epilator. The face is very sensitive to begin with, but keep in mind you use Vit C serum every day, and that thins the skin over time.

If you have Maalox in the house, apply some to your face with a cotton ball. It's an ant-acid, and is remarkable for healing skin irritations like this. (I can't tell you how many times I used this in the NICU with 1 lb babies!)

Don't use any topicals for a couple of day, or anything with fragrance, and by no means use your Clarisonic.

Just keep it all simple, and bathe your skin with cool water a couple of times per day.

ETA: Please don't put any topicals on your face at all, not even sunscreen. NO CHEMICALS! Give it a day or two to heal.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Oh goodness, sorry that happened! If you have any Beta Oat Glucans, I think that might help calm down your skin. It will probably pass real fast. Definitely go with the allergic reaction to some product excuse(how about Clinique, its pretty nasty stuff!)

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
My face looks 25% better this afternoon. Thankfully I went to work and stopped messing with it. This morning after I put the hydrocortisone cream on I completely left it along. After taking my Scotties for a walk (cool today) the swelling came down. Tonight I plan to wash my face with plain water. I will apply a very small amount of Emu Oil to keep the area hydrated. Tomorrow I hope I will see more improvement.

My neighbor is bring me Tend Skin tonight. If my face seems fine I probably will hold off. Thanks NCN for the suggestion Smile . I know Tend Skin is a great product. Perhaps if I put it on my face immediately I wouldn't find myself in such a mess.

When I purchased the epilator it said for body and face. Granted I did not read the directions in full. Embarassed The device is only meant for facial hair on chin and single hairs on upper lip. Now, who has single hairs on the upper lip. Rolling Eyes

Kassy, I promise I won't put any actives on my face or use my Clarisonic.

Hopefully my experience will save someone from perhaps a worse experience. DO NOT EPILATE THE FACE!!!!

Thanks you all so much. Panic set in this morning and it helped to know I could log in and get support.

Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Oh goodness, sorry that happened! If you have any Beta Oat Glucans, I think that might help calm down your skin. It will probably pass real fast. Definitely go with the allergic reaction to some product excuse(how about Clinique, its pretty nasty stuff!)

Laughing Laughing Thanks for the laugh. Actually I was a very good actress (Liar ). My face looks like I have a rash. I told my co-workers I woke up with it this morning. They asked me what I ate yesterday. They all thought I had an allergic reaction to shell fish. No way I would tell them I epilated my face.

bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem. But i wouldn't suggest shave or waxing (I never used waxing actually.)

At least shaving will make the mustache come back thicker and longer.

I plucked it with the same thing I plucked my eyebrows. It helps, but hurts a lot at first. Believe me, you will get used to it very soon...your upper lip just goes numb. Razz Razz Razz
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Bugfish said:

....and Mountaingirl goes.... Brick wall

Besides that, I'm so glad its better Winnie!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hope you're recovering Winnie - what a disaster Shock

However, I do successfully use an epilator on my face. I have a Braun Silk Epil which comes with various attachments for various parts of the body - one of which is especially for the face. The attachment for legs etc. also has a clip-on sort of "buffer/massager" that softens the hair pulling and works like a gem.

As far as epilating the face is concerned (and I actually think that this applies to the rest of the body) - the manual says to epilate after a shower or bath when your pores are softened. However, I've found it best to do it whilst the skin is completely dry, as after a shower I think my skin is more tender. I also find it useful to apply a very light dusting of talcum powder as it removes any perspiration and makes the hairs easier to grasp. It hurts much less if the skin is pulled tight and is COMPLETELY dry.

I actually used my Braun on my entire face and neck last night and this morning my skin is fine - so Winnie, don't give up because epilating can be the solution to removing all that menopausal hair and hair regrowth will become less and less. HTH.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Bugfish said:

Me too, Mountaingirl, me too! Brick wall
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Bugfish said:

Me too, Mountaingirl, me too! Brick wall

as you start to pluck, it will get better and better... the mustache will become shorter and thinner soon
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Women with peach fuss in their face can probably shave as they don't have a hair growth problem.

I would by no means advise women with unsightly darker, thicker hair (hormonal or inherited) to start shaving.

They will be better off with laser or electrolysis.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Last night I tried doing my armpits OMG. Crying or Very sad I never completed the job as it really hurt.
Any suggestions for the arm pits?

Keliu , thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately, I did not do as you have when I used the epilator for the first time. It does have an attachment for a gentle experience. Mad Guess I have to experiment. No way will I chance doing my face again.

BTW my face is almost back to normal today. Pray

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
Last night I tried doing my armpits OMG. Crying or Very sad I never completed the job as it really hurt.
Any suggestions for the arm pits?

Try the trick with the talc - it really helps. It's also better if the hairs aren't too long. If you are dealing with long hairs (especially those "down there") I use one of those tiny battery operated pen size razors that has a little comb that fits over the razor. You can shave the hair off to a shorter length then use the epilator.

Don't give up Winnie because the more you do it, the less it hurts - really!!
NCN
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Glad your back to normal Winnie! While we're on the subject, there is a great product that I use for hair removal called Marzena. I use the legs and body formula (I use it "down there"). It's inexpensive (around $5.00 for 6 oz.). It's in an aloe vera base and has a growth inhibitor in it as well. Excellent product! They have a formula especially for the face but I've never used it so can't comment on that.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
[
Try the trick with the talc - it really helps. It's also better if the hairs aren't too long. If you are dealing with long hairs (especially those "down there") I use one of those tiny battery operated pen size razors that has a little comb that fits over the razor. You can shave the hair off to a shorter length then use the epilator.

Don't give up Winnie because the more you do it, the less it hurts - really!!

I totally agree.

And with continued use, hardly any hair grows back in my experience. And the little that remains is very blond and soft.

You just have to get over the first few times and suck it up.... Shock Shock Shock

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Since I have dark hair I have been fighting facial hair battle since puberty. I use to pluck OUCH! because I was told never ever to shave! It will give you thicker darker hair well guess what? That happened anyway because plucking pulls the hair out of the root thus overtime making the root tougher and more distorted. I did have electrolysis and although it did not get rid of all the hair it did reduce it substantially. Since then I have been told by many experts that shaving does not make the hair coarser! I tend to agree that men's hair become coarser and thicker on their faces because of hormones, and because it is supposed to not because of shaving. I now shave and have been for a while and I do not see any difference in the hair! Threading is my method of choice and I wish I knew how to do that. I would advice you to go with threading because I believe it is the best!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies I have read every entry on this thread on a very rainy crappy Friday afternoon and you all have made my day - I am LOL at my desk.
Laughing

ps I am very interested in the threading device - will it work on eyebrows?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Alley,

Not sure the threading device will work well on eyebrows. It is a spiral cord with handles. You definitely won't have as much control over what hairs you take out as plucking.

I do near the tops of the eyebrows and in between a bit but not the whole eyebrow with the Epicare knockoff. You always could try it but don't blame me if you take off your eyebrows! Embarassed

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |