Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
DMAE again
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Uno
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Just wonder if anyone has heard any safety update on DMAE?

I have stopped using it for half n year already... was thinking if I should pick it up again. Laughing
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:52 am      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28429&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dmae&start=25

Uno here is a thread from a little while ago, I think there is some useful info

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 14, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
In short term, you see the result.

In long term, it may damage your skin.

So IMO, no no and never use it.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Uno wrote:

I have stopped using it for half n year already... was thinking if I should pick it up again. Laughing

I have read some research that disputes the original manufacturer claims in that it has no beneficial effect on the skin. You can make up your own mind but for me, I think there are far better products available.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Uno wrote:

I have read some research that disputes the original manufacturer claims in that it has no beneficial effect on the skin. You can make up your own mind but for me, I think there are far better products available.

Hi bushy,
will you share with us the products you think are better. Thanks Lou
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 4:59 am      Reply with quote
senesce wrote:

Hello, senesce.

I have read your posts and would love to hear what skin care products you use.

Do you have any recommendations?

TIA. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:

Hi bushy,
will you share with us the products you think are better. Thanks Lou

If you let me know why you specifically wanted to use dmae or what benefits you are trying to achieve, then I may be able to suggest some alternatives.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:58 am      Reply with quote
senesce wrote:

One study I read theorized the plumping effect was due to the cells swelling with water before they died.
racheli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:15 am      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
senesce wrote:

One study I read theorized the plumping effect was due to the cells swelling with water before they died.

yes, this i read, too, and it concerns me as well...

but - does it need a special (over-)dose to make the cell die?
or will the cell die by any contact of dmae?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="racheli
but - does it need a special (over-)dose to make the cell die?
or will the cell die by any contact of dmae?[/quote]

The studies I've read have indicated that cell destruction occurred with DMAE at 3% or higher.. These studies were performed on animal skin, and human skin recently excised during surgeries.

In short, the DMAE penetrated the layers of skin, reaches and penetrates the cells, the cells swell and eventually rupture and die.

This is why the folks who use these creams experience a fairly immediate plumping + tightening, but it is always temporary. And so this cycle continues, with each and every application. The real problem will not be apparent until the aging process can't keep up with producing enough cells to replace the ones that have died. That is when the proverbial s-it will hit the fan, and the face will sag irreparably.

You can read much more on the thread Alley recommended above.

I would just like to really say to everyone to make sure you thoroughly research every single thing you put on your skin.. So much of it is absorbed into the cells and bloodstream, and just because a manufacturer says it's wonderful, doesn't mean it's so.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
senesce wrote:

I also read this in my Biology course book. Our prof gave us a very long speech about the danger of using it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
The studies I've read have indicated that cell destruction occurred with DMAE at 3% or higher.. These studies were performed on animal skin, and human skin recently excised during surgeries.

In short, the DMAE penetrated the layers of skin, reaches and penetrates the cells, the cells swell and eventually rupture and die.

This is why the folks who use these creams experience a fairly immediate plumping + tightening, but it is always temporary. And so this cycle continues, with each and every application. The real problem will not be apparent until the aging process can't keep up with producing enough cells to replace the ones that have died. That is when the proverbial s-it will hit the fan, and the face will sag irreparably.

You can read much more on the thread Alley recommended above.

I would just like to really say to everyone to make sure you thoroughly research every single thing you put on your skin.. So much of it is absorbed into the cells and bloodstream, and just because a manufacturer says it's wonderful, doesn't mean it's so.

thanks for your reply, kassy..i agree with you..
i found it rather shocking too, that obviously manufacturers are putting (new) stuff into mixtures, which they dont have really information on..or - that they obviously care so little about the long-term side effects...

at least, when buying something i put onto my face, i would have trusted, not to kill my skin with it..!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
According to the Daniel Yarosh book, DMAE is supposed to be a neurotransmitter and stimulates the nerve endings in the cells so that they contract and cause a mini facelift. But he goes on to say that in many cases it is mixed with a muscle relaxant which does not make sense as they would be working opposite to each other. He does not have any negative comments other than there is no reliable research that indicates DMAE works.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 am      Reply with quote
DMAE is not a neurotransmitter itself, but it is a precusor for Acetylcholine
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 am      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
DMAE is not a neurotransmitter itself, but it is a precusor for Acetylcholine

Not quite correct. It is claimed that it stimulates nerve cells to release acetylcholine and Johnson & Johnson who market DMAE claim it is a neurotransmitter which supposedly alters nerve sensations. A neurometer has been used to test its claims.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Lots of interesting information on skincare can be found here, including a good explanation of what DMAE does to the cells;

http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/01/pay-attention-truth-behind-trends-dmae_31.html

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |