Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Facials RetinA Middle Aged Skin and Mascara
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Surfngirl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi-

I have several skin issues. I am in my mid forties and still have acne. I use retinA.
I have never had a facial. I would like to exfoliate gently if it would help get rid of the deep (not very red but kind of trapped white) acne. It is not very noticeable, but a little bumpy. I also have never used the C serum and want to know what kind to buy and what it does. I do not like aroma therapy because I am sensitive to chemicals and allergic to some things like eucalyptus and cloves and highly allergic to bounce fabric softner and other strong chemicals. Also I cannot seem to find a mascara that does not run off my face and get all over me like raccoon eyes. I have tried every drug store brand of waterproof mascara and it always ends up under my eyes by the middle of the day. I end up at business meetings looking like Courtney Love instead of an executive. I used to use a mascara by Naris that went on like rubber cement that stayed on (this was 20 years ago) but I cannot find it. Any suggestions? I do not know if it is the slightly oily skin doing this to my mascara but even though yes I am a surfer, sometimes I need to be in a business meeting or out on the town and I would like to look like a grown up and wear some mascara. My friends think it is atrocious that I run around without makeup all the time.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using retin-a cream or gel? If its the cream I'd switch to the gel since the cream base comedogenic. Is your acne all over your face? And is is just smaller pimples like you described? You might also want to an antibacterial product to your skin care. Currenlty I'm using sephora's first aid beauty 3.5% BP. I dont care that its a pro-oxidant because it works well, just trading one evil for another.
Retin-a never worked well for me but Tazorac works great in treating my cystic acne.

When my skin was oilier I had the same trouble with mascara. But usually a waterproof formula did the trick. I hear that Cover Girl Lash Blast waterproof wears like iron, have you tried that one?
Surfngirl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
No I have not tried that particular mascara, I will look for it.
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that had waterproof mascara all over their eyes.

I use RetinA creme because my HMO said they no longer carry the gel, but I did not ask the pharmacist and will, because I used to get the gel from that HMO and liked it better.

I get acne in all areas, forehead lots of small bumps, side of the eyes where sunglasses touch, chin and underchin and especially the cheeks close to my nose for the cystic. Fortunately it is not super noticeable, but it gets to hurting so I want it to come out. It seems to coincide with my cycle and stress and also if the air gets too dry. I need to find a sunscreen that does not make it worse, I am outside a lot.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Surfngirl - I'd recommend Korres mascara since you tend to have sensitive skin, etc. It's a nice product - no nasty ingredients. Does not clump up.

Vitamin C - I'd try samples - sometimes you can get a sample of Skinceuticals C & E ferulic on Ebay and I'm sure you can find others also. You need to make sure it's going to work for you before you splurge. Also DIY is one way to minimize any extraneous ingredients that may do more harm than good.

Retin A - Since this is new to you I would suggest GreenCream - level 3, 6,, 9. for starters for use at night. (and then move into Retin a - starting at the .025). You can go up on the Green Cream levels as your skin adjusts and it's gentler than regular Retin A. I love, (absolutely love level 9). It makes my skin gorgeous and glowy even in bright light of day - and add a nice c-product in the morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown No Smudge mascara is a really good waterproof mascara.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have a really oily eye area and most mascaras run like anything on me within an hour of use.
Why dont you try a tube mascara, I use mirenesse with great success. For a non tube mascara the only I will use is Clinique High Impact.
HTHS:)
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
The best trick I have ever found for making mascara/eyeliner stay is applying a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia under my eyes. It works so well that I can use any kind of mascara or eyeliner without it running or smudging, all day. This has been a huge help for me, as I used to forgo mascara for years because of how badly it smudged. I work nights in a greasy, hot restaurant and even at the end of my shift my mascara looks fine!
I just get the cheap $1 bottle from the Dollar Store.
How I apply it: I apply my facial lotion, and primer, then gently spread a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia under my eyes, being Very Careful not to get any in my eyes. If I accidentally put too much on, I just mix a little lotion and primer and gently blend it over the area. Please try this! It really helped me, and my sister, who I recommended this to as well (She could not believe the results, and has been telling all her friends ever since).
I currently use Maybelline Full and Soft Regular Mascara in Black on my top And bottom lashes, and with this method, no smudging or running! I never was able to use even waterproof mascara on my bottom lashes before without it running within a couple hours. I have been using this trick for about a year and a half, and I am not looking back!
Good luck!
Olyn
Surfngirl

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Wow.. really great tips... thanks girls! I will have to give it a try... at 46 I really need to start wearing makeup again to look like a grown up! Also.. I have a meeting with super big wigs in several months... and I cannot have mascara under my eyes! So I have a few months to see which will work... Thanks!
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I have found that if I use a gel moisturizer instead of a lotion or cream before makeup, my mascara stays put. I tried everything and finally found that it wasn't the mascara that was the problem but what I was putting on my face before my makeup. I save the creams, lotions and oils for night time use only.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |