Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Makeup question- foundation and shades
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:56 am      Reply with quote
My face and neck are two diff colours and its quick noticeable. Should I get a foundation that matches my neck or should I get one that matches my face?

Thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem- my face is slightly redder and a bit darker than my neck. I find that if try to match the foundation to my neck my face looks ashy. I stick to matching the foundation to my face.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
I have the same problem- my face is slightly redder and a bit darker than my neck. I find that if try to match the foundation to my neck my face looks ashy. I stick to matching the foundation to my face.

If you pick a foundation to match your face then wouldnt it look like you've got a mask on and if you're wearing a little top, the neck and chest area is so much paler than your face Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I've always worn my makeup down my neck and decollate. I know it's not for everyone but it works for me.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 3:44 am      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
I've always worn my makeup down my neck and decollate. I know it's not for everyone but it works for me.

So you would apply foundation behind your neck as well then?

Thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I think the foundation should match your face not your neck, because it looks very unnatural when the foundation is darker than you actual skin tome. You can easily tell because of the skin under you hair, where you can't apply foundation. You should try to even out you skin color but tanning you neck more than your face, or the other way around.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Same thing here - I hedge it by matching my foundation to my facial tone (pale) and then using a neutral blush or bronzer to warm up the cheeks, bridge of nose, temples and forehead to blend with the rest of my body. I dunno, I THINK it looks natural...!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I would only wear foundation behind my neck if I wore my hair up. Obviously I have longer hair. About shoulder length. I dust my Makeup Forever Powder foundation along the sides and front of my neck and chest. If I had short hair, yes I would wear foundation on my entire neck. Powder foundation usually. It looks very natural. I've been doing this for 20 years. Also when the makeup gets on my clothes I've never had a problem with it washing out in the laundry.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I think you're better off treating the problem rather than the symptoms. Wear the same sunscreen with the same consistency on both the face and shoulders and eventually they'll match in color.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Sunscreen is always a good idea, but I'm not sure that it will necessarily make the skin on the face the same as the skin on the neck in tone. I never, ever get redness on my neck, but on my cheeks, it's a different story. And sunscreen is the only skincare product that I can honestly say I've used for years on a pretty consistent basis. So, I imagine it will help but not necessarily completely.

I end up lightly brushing my makeup down over the neck area, but *much* more lightly than over my face, since I don't need real coverage there. Just enough to soften the difference, but not a lot at all. Still two tone, I suppose, but I think it looks reasonably natural.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies!
I have to say that I dont wear sunscreen Embarassed , as I dont really stay out much and I always wear MMU.
I'm going to find a foundation that matches my face, then as you've all suggested, apply it to my neck as well.

Thanks for your help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 1:15 am      Reply with quote
My lighter foundation samples have arrived and whilst the MMU matches my face, I tried brushing some on my neck but it still looks SO weird. Maybe its cos I cant really blend it in cos my neck is too yellow whilst my face is pink/yellow toned. If it was winter and I was wearing polo necks and scarves then it would be fine, but now that its getting warm, cant exactly cover my neck.
I could wear blush and bronzers to make my skin not so pale compared to my neck, but I hate to be so made up when I'm not going anywhere special.
Just wondering if people really do notice the two different tones? Cos that's what I look at when I meet people Embarassed
Aussielady

Tue May 06, 2008 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
as a make-up artist I come across this problem quite often. If you try to cover just your face and leave your neck to be naturally pale it looks unnatural and "masky". Too much foundation is not going to do you any good. And sunscreen, as well as tanning is not a solution. I offer two ways: 1) try to use mineral foundation - it gives good cover, applies as powder, but does not create "caky" look; try to apply it over your cheeks mainly. 2) choose two colours of foundation - opt for light ones, that don't create a "masky" look and play an artist - closer you get to the neck the lighter your colour should become. It sounds like a chore, but trust me - it is easy, and creates a nice look. Smile
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Hello Aussielady wave , and welcome to the forum!
I'm a make-up artist, and from OZ too! Smile

yeahyeah wrote:
I have to say that I dont wear sunscreen Embarassed , as I dont really stay out much and I always wear MMU.
I'm going to find a foundation that matches my face, then as you've all suggested, apply it to my neck as well.

Thanks for your help!

I used to worry about this a few years ago when MMU became really popular. Does the natural sunscreen (zinc oxide) contained in MMU mean that you don't have to incorporate a sunscreen in your usual skincare routine? Neutral

Adding another sunscreen may not make sense when you're already protected, and on top of your moisturiser would turn most people off, not to mention the stickiness and balling effect when applying the mineral. Embarassed

I think you have pretty much narrowed down why you have different skintone from your face and your neck Yeahyeah. Cool As Nimue mentioned, it's better to look at fixing the cause then finding a quick 'n easy solution. Maybe you could try to start using a sunscreen on your face, and neck and gradually even out the skintone in these areas. I really reckon the benefits of a sunscreen will far outweigh the reasons why you don't use one now. Wink Everyone on here seems to list this as something they wish they had gotten into earlier..... Angel

Wear it on your face, your neck and extend the coverage down to your decolletage (to help keep the cleavage area youthful too!). I have always been generous with my sunscreen in the mornings. Cool The trick is to find an excellent SPF30 formulated for the face and isn't too oily. Apply the SPF mixed in with your moisturiser if you want to save time. If you're devoted to your MMU, maybe leave enough time for the moisturiser and sunscreen to sink right in, a couple of minutes... before you start the application and buffing.

I've never applied foundation on my neck, or forehead. (Not to mention the ugly stains on your clothes, and a complete waste of product, it's not actually a good look). Unless you're using a tonne of body foundation for editorials and contouring of muscles, I've never understood why people use it on their necks... hmm .sorry!) Foundation helps you even out your skintone and it's meant to look like your skin when it is on. Perhaps that's why people often say 'mask-like' because they make the mistake of choosing the wrong shade and wearing it like a mask, rather than using it sparingly and blending from the centre of the face outwards.

The way to choose a skin-tone correct shade is to ask a make-up artist to colour swatch you using (3)three different shades of foundation....the one that disappears into your skin should be the 'one'. But be discerning. If you're not happy, then be on your way in search of the 'right one'. I always know I have found the one when I take a step back and examine the colour of my neck/ chest. It has to look right as a whole, and not just on my face. In your case where your neck is a little deeper in colour on your neck/chest, you could use a bronzer to add warmth on your face (upper cheeks, temples, bridge of nose and little on your chin). On the other hand, if you had a lighter neck/ chest, bronzers work awesomely there to even it upwards to your face. A good bronzer will add warmth, and not make you look ruddy or dirty.

I hope you find a way to help yourself get even soon! Smile

x
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use on my face a shade that gives me some halthy color, but blends well with my neck color (which is very pale). The line at the jawline drives me crazy otherwise, even if I try to physically blur the line with powders, sponges, brushes, etc.
Aussielady

Thu May 08, 2008 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl!
This is trully the country of summer, though originally I am from Europe. It is nice to meet like-minded people on the site far from home Very Happy
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem.. I don't wear low cut tops offten so it's not too much of an issue. But you could apply powder all over when your done..
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I will try to find something that works for both, darker foundation for lighter skin and lighter foundation for the darker skin and hopefully it will bring your skin to a balance color. Go to Macys or whatever and have them try different foundation on your face and neck before buying them.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |