Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

copper peptides and vitamin c
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I know from the CP thread that Vit C and CPs might cancel each other out. But does that apply to all Vitamin C products?

For example I just started using SkinBio's CP serum in the evenings but I also use Chrysalyx which has C-esters as an ingredient - will that cancel out the effects of my CP?

And does this mean that if I use CP around my eyes I cannot use an eyecream that has Vit C as an ingredient?

TIA
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Based on everything I have read, you need to keep Vit C products at least 12 hours away from any CP's.

That will most likely apply to all C products...the ester differentiation is largely viewed as a marketing ploy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Here's a question regarding the different times of day to apply vitamin C and CPs.

Can Vit C be applied less than 12 hrs after the CP?

If I were to wash up in the evening and apply my CPs around 10PM, then wake up at 5:30AM and do my morning routine including the vit C there would be less then 12 hrs between applications of both. Would this be OK?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about not using the products daily? If you alternate them, you'll get 24 hours apart. I understand that Vitamin C, at least, is effective as an antioxidant beyond 24 hours, though not necessarily at full strength. Not sure about copper peptides. But that might be a way to incorporate both into your routine without having to wash and serum up before dinner!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Have you thought about not using the products daily? If you alternate them, you'll get 24 hours apart. I understand that Vitamin C, at least, is effective as an antioxidant beyond 24 hours, though not necessarily at full strength. Not sure about copper peptides. But that might be a way to incorporate both into your routine without having to wash and serum up before dinner!

Rotating your topicals is definitely the best way to go...I do not use mine 2 days in a row now, and my skin looks MUCH better because of it.

I use my Vit C on Monday morning, my CP's on Tuesday night, and then Vit C again on Thursday morning...that way I never have to worry abotu them cancelling each other out. And my skin stays more reactive to the topicals because I am not using them every day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions about applying 24 hrs apart.

I had just started to apply the CPs 2x/day last week and can see more improvement already. Kinda makes me want to keep up the the CPs on at least a daily basis.

But, if the vit C can give me some good results, then doing as you suggested might be worth a try.

So many decisions to make w/ all these different products these days!! Aargg!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I guess if you don't want some free copper ions damage your skin, you'd better separate these two. Copper ion is heavy metal, usually very harmful to your health (although it might make you look more beautiful). Considering this health issue, I think beauty should be ranked as second.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
januarui wrote:
I guess if you don't want some free copper ions damage your skin, you'd better separate these two. Copper ion is heavy metal, usually very harmful to your health (although it might make you look more beautiful). Considering this health issue, I think beauty should be ranked as second.

Can you explain this further, or, at least - supply the source where you found this information?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
januarui wrote:

Can you explain this further, or, at least - supply the source where you found this information?

Copper ion can work as an oxidative compound (although not so strong), while Vit C is a very strong reductive agent. When these met each other, according to my chemical knowledge, the copper ion will be reduced into cuprous ions, which is more active than copper ions. In this process, VitC will be oxidized.

Here is a research article, you can find the reaction from the abstract.

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=245916

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
januarui wrote:

here is an article regarding relationship between copper ions and human health.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/134/5/1003.pdf

"Copper is both potentially deleterious
due to its participation in ROS chemistry and essential
due to its role as a redox catalyst for a number of oxidases. It
is recommended that adults consume at least 0.9 mg of copper
daily (RDA) and restrict their intake to 10 mg daily (UL) to
prevent overt signs of copper deficiency and toxicity, respectively"

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
januarui wrote:

In the article as I cited just now, the authors also mentioned

"Copper is an essential cofactor for approximately
a dozen cuproenzymes in which copper is bound to
specific amino acid residues in an active site. However, free
cuprous ions react readily with hydrogen peroxide to yield the
deleterious hydroxyl radical."

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 2:41 am      Reply with quote
I know they say to use it 12 hours apart to prevent them from cancelling each other out, but I learned on the skinbio forum that they say they received comments from people who did use both together and reported that it had a positive effect on their skins. It is confusing I know, but I suppose the ultimate way is to test it out yourself.

Otherwise, try alternating them. Perhaps using CP at night, and Vit C in the morning as already suggested.

Sorry can't be of more help!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |