Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Retin-A and light therapy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think I saw some posts about this in at least one of the threads on light therapy, but I can't remember which one and I can't remember what the conclusion was. Very sorry for redundant information, but...

Does anyone know if using retin-A with photo therapy is contraindicated?

I just added it into my routine at the beginning of this week and did a light session last night. Today I'm a little red and tingly, not unlike what it feels like after a roll.

Thanks in advance for the help!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
What I saw earlier in a thread was that you should not put on Retin-A and THEN immediately do a LED treatment.

But putting Retin-A on after a treatment should not be a problem...I do it all the time.

Did you just start on Retin-A? If so, do you know some the little rules like:
- you need to use it at night (vs. in the daytime)
- you need to wait about 30 minutes after you wash your face before applying the Retin-A in order to minimize irritation
- do NOT use it on your eyelids
- keep it away from the corners of your mouth, corners of your nose, etc.
- start at once a week, and then gradually move to more frequent usage
- some areas may allow more frequent usage than others - my check is NEVER, my neck is occasionally, and my face can do 2-3x week.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the interesting reply, bethany!

I do know to use it at night not in the daytime.

I do know to start gradual and work up to more frequent usage. I haven't exactly been doing that, but I know about it. May be why I'm a bit sensitive today.

Did not know to wait 30 mins. after washing my face. It makes sense and I will start doing that.

Why aren't we supposed to use on eyelids? Just wondering. My eyelids need help.

Also, why not corners of mouth and nose? Again, just wondering.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
What I saw earlier in a thread was that you should not put on Retin-A and THEN immediately do a LED treatment.

But putting Retin-A on after a treatment should not be a problem...I do it all the time.

Did you just start on Retin-A? If so, do you know some the little rules like:
- you need to use it at night (vs. in the daytime)
- you need to wait about 30 minutes after you wash your face before applying the Retin-A in order to minimize irritation
- do NOT use it on your eyelids
- keep it away from the corners of your mouth, corners of your nose, etc.
- start at once a week, and then gradually move to more frequent usage
- some areas may allow more frequent usage than others - my check is NEVER, my neck is occasionally, and my face can do 2-3x week.

what is your "check",do you mean cheek or chest??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Chrissie"]
bethany wrote:
what is your "check",do you mean cheek or chest??

my typing sucks...I meant chest!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
Why aren't we supposed to use on eyelids? Just wondering. My eyelids need help.

Also, why not corners of mouth and nose? Again, just wondering.

The eyelids are very thin skinned, and most people will quickly experience irritation...usually in the form of contact dermatitis that itches like crazy (I learned this the hard way). If you really want to use it on your eyelids, I would suggest starting out with a buffer of moisturizer first, and see if you can work up to skipping the buffer over time.

The corners of your mouth, nose, etc. will also get too dried out by Retin-A, and you will see some cracking and irritation as a result.

Most of this is spelled out in the patient leaflet if you got it in the US, but I have noticed that the Mexican boxes don't have inserts.

Quote:
RETIN-A (tretinoin) acne treatment should be kept away from the eyes, the mouth, angles of the nose, and mucous membranes. Topical use may induce severe local erythema and peeling at the site of application. If the degree of local irritation warrants, patients should be directed to use the medication less frequently, discontinue use temporarily, or discontinue use altogether. Tretinoin has been reported to cause severe irritation on eczematous skin and should be used with utmost caution in patients with this condition.

http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/retin-a/precautions/

BTW, using it results in pinker skin (it faciliates more capillary growth)...my face is far pinker than my neck. Embarassed

Flaking skin/peeling/raw-ness is also a hassle...I found that microfiber cloths and AHA's definitely helped with that, but I ended up decreasing my usage to 1-2x week to help balance out the peeling and raw feeling, but YMMV.

Here is a good article on using it:

Quote:
Using the Acne Treatment Retin-A
Tretinoin (Retin-A, Avita, Renova) is a derivative of Vitamin A and is the treatment of choice for comedonal acne, or whiteheads and blackheads. It works by increasing skin cell turnover promoting the extrusion of the plugged material in the follicle. It also prevents the formation of new comedones. Tretinoin is also the only topical medication that has been proven to improve wrinkles.

Side Effects of Retin-A
The effect of increased skin cell turnover can be irritation and flaking. For this reason, many people stop using Retin-A after a couple of days to weeks, then think that it didn't work. It is important to realize that Retin-A is very effective for whiteheads and blackheads, but it may take 6-9 weeks to see a noticeable difference. It takes at least 6 months to see a noticeable difference in wrinkles. The best benefit is seen if Retin-A is used for at least a year.

Retin-A Help
Here are some guidelines that may make it easier to take this great medicine.

- Apply Retin-A in a thin layer at night. A small amount goes a long way.
- In the morning wash your face with a mild facial scrub or rough wash cloth. This will help reduce the noticeable flaking.
- After washing, apply a good water-based moisturizer. Yes, guys, this applies to you too. The moisturizer will make the drying effect of the medicine more tolerable.
- If flaking occurs during the day use a wash cloth to remove it and apply more moisturizer, or just apply moisturizer.
- Try using a moisturizer that also contains a sunscreen. If not, apply sunscreen anytime you are in the sun even for a short amount of time. Tretinoin makes you more susceptible to sunburn.
- When you first start using Retin-A, apply it every other night or every 3rd night. The flaking and irritation side effects are usually the worst in the first 2 weeks of application. As your skin adjusts to the medicine, you can apply it more frequently.
- If you notice an increase in the irritation or flaking, it's ok to take a break for a couple of days. Just don't stop completely without consulting your health care provider!

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/topicals/a/tretinoin.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks as always for the great info, bethany!

I did indeed get my retin-A from Mexico and as you observed, there was no insert.

When I used it before (several years ago) I never really had any of the side-effects that some notice, and I use it on my face, neck, and decolletege.

I am going to decrease my usage, though...I've used it every night since Monday and think it's time for a break.

Thanks again, it's a big help!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
When I used it before (several years ago) I never really had any of the side-effects that some notice, and I use it on my face, neck, and decolletege.

I am sooo jealous! But I will say that even 1x or 2x a week keeps my hormonal breakouts to a minimum, and for that I am VERY greatful!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |