Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
The Event Makeup Artist
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Would you use a product like this?

Yes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Maybe
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16

Will@TEMA

Sun May 11, 2008 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm going to try to be as honest as possible and show respect for your community. I was recently hired to help market a DVD set for the eventmakeupartist dot com. The product is an in-depth look at how to do beauty makeup. It aims to teach you about the necessary techniques and products that one would need to begin a career as a freelance makeup artist for weddings, banquets, award ceremonies, bar/bat mitzvahs, family celebrations and actors’ head shots.

With that blurb aside, I genuinely would like everyone's input in whether they would be interested in such a product and the best ways that it could be promoted to the makeup community. If anyone runs a blog and wants to review the product, please message me. I'd appreciate any feedback and hope this doesn't come across as a shameless pitch. If there's a better place for this kind of thread, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Will
Will@TEMA

Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone who read this and answered the poll. Would the people who voted no and the person who voted yes, mind saying why? I'm checking this post everyday, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I voted no. Doesn't mean it's a bad product, just not something i'm interested in because I don't really wear make up.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I voted no, because I am selfishly only interested in makeup for ME, not as a profession. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I voted NO as wel. I am on the site to learn about products, techinques ect for myself. Not interested in learning about them to "teach". Sorry Rolling Eyes

Thu May 15, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate everyone's input. Is there anyone on the site who is already a professional makeup artist, or who would want to be one (with or without the help of the DVD)? And if so, what is preventing you from pursuing that career?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Like all the other gals, I voted no because my makeup interests are self-centered.

I think there are a few professional estheticians/artists on here, but most of them went through a certified training program. I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that the certification is just as important as the know-how, so a video just wouldn't cut it, ya know?

Just my best guess though -- I don't really know. Good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Will@TEMA

Sat May 17, 2008 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again for the response. The certification is only crucial if you are working at a spa or beauty salon. If you're freelancing, you don't need to be certified and the most important thing is a very strong portfolio. It takes hard work and perseverance to build up a client-base, but makeup can be extremely lucrative. One of the main pitches from the site is that you can support yourself entirely or supplement your income by doing makeup a few days a week. I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of demographics compose sites like this and whether any kind of freelancing appeals to you. Please let me know if you have anymore thoughts and your feedback has been extremely helpful so far.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Well not sure if you'll be interested or if it will help as I'm in the UK but I am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist/Cosmetologist (or aesthetician if you like) here in the UK. I don't practice anymore (long story) but do hold internationally recognised qualifications. I had my own business for a while and still will work with friends etc.
I did a LOT of makeup including theatrical, wedding, everyday and camoflage. I have to say I am doubtful whether you could really truely learn enough from a DVD alone to be able to run your own business. You can learn techniques but the hands on training is invaluable. Just one example is that peoples skin texture can vary hugely so products apply differently on different people and may not work. I would describe it as learning to drive in a simulator then expecting the real deal to be a breeze - but of course it isn't!
I would say a DVD would be a good idea to learn for yourself and as a taster or PART of a training course to see if you like it but the best way IMHO is to get out there and practice on people, get a portfolio together of before and afters and get qualified (so you can get insured properly) Of course there are makeup artists out there with no formal qualifications but they have usually 'served their time' training with someone and gaining the all important hands on experience. Personally I would not have employed someone whose only training was on a DVD unless they had a great deal of natural talent - in which case they probably wouldn't buy the DVD anyway - I'd prefer someone with hands on training and/or lots of experience.

Just my opinion though!!
Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
This could be helpful if someone wants to learn how to put makeup on themselves for different occasions.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I voted no because there are already FREE sites out there with amazing tutorials, and lets not forget Youtube.
Will@TEMA

Mon May 19, 2008 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Lucia, Edenfield and Jf (yay positive feedback!) for taking the time to respond. I guess my next question would be, what information would you look for in determining whether the DVD could teach you the techniques you would need to know? Is the presentation of the website clear? Is there any information missing? Do you rely primarily on customer reviews or would you rather that someone like Lucia (who has professional experience) review it?

To Edenfield: I agree that there is a lot of great content on the internet, but the DVD consolidates it into one place and comes with 3 hours of footage with 6 different models (a caucasian female, a male, an older woman, a hispanic model, black model and an asian model) and an e-book which has a more detailed explanation of the techniques that are being demonstrated. The e-book also provides a business model, a cost comparison of products and among other things, a list of other resources that you can use to expand your knowledge and continue to grow.
cece90505

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Will@TEMA wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate everyone's input. Is there anyone on the site who is already a professional makeup artist, or who would want to be one (with or without the help of the DVD)? And if so, what is preventing you from pursuing that career?

Hi Will,
In regards to your question above...any one who would want to become a makeup artist...I've thought about it, I love makeup but don't have anyone to practice on..would love to do it part-time. With no experience, except my own face, I don't know that, even with a dvd tutorial, I will be able to get out and do it part-time without years of experience.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |