Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
salon vs. home hair color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice. I have medium brown hair, and started getting white (not grey) hair when i was 19 (I am now 31) I have been dying my hair at home since that time (with permanent hair dye) but now find that I have to dye my hair every 2 weeks or else the white hair keeps creeping up at my roots on my side part and temples. I've tried all different brands- even ones meant for gray hair- but they all seem to last about the same amount of time.

My hair dresser (who I am not too fond of, but is the best one I have found who can cut my hair) told me that the hair dye from the salon will last much longer. It should last for 6 weeks at least. But i am a bit skeptical. Does any one know if the salon hair dye is superior than the home hair dye in regards to covering white hair and not having it fade with in 2 weeks?
Thanks!!!
CG
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Also if anyone knows of any really good at home hair color kits they can suggest that would be great!
Thanks
CG
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I really doubt that, I think she's just saying that. I don't think the dye in the salon is chemically much different (if it's different at all) from what you can buy in the drugstore.

Canadian Girl wrote:
I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice. I have medium brown hair, and started getting white (not grey) hair when i was 19 (I am now 31) I have been dying my hair at home since that time (with permanent hair dye) but now find that I have to dye my hair every 2 weeks or else the white hair keeps creeping up at my roots on my side part and temples. I've tried all different brands- even ones meant for gray hair- but they all seem to last about the same amount of time.

My hair dresser (who I am not too fond of, but is the best one I have found who can cut my hair) told me that the hair dye from the salon will last much longer. It should last for 6 weeks at least. But i am a bit skeptical. Does any one know if the salon hair dye is superior than the home hair dye in regards to covering white hair and not having it fade with in 2 weeks?
Thanks!!!
CG
Charmed1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have only used Salon color and it lasts about five weeks. I think the problem is not how long the color lasts, but, how much root showing you can personally tolerate. If hair grows one- half inch a month, at two weeks you might have one- quarter inch of growth. If that growth is really white/gray or really dark if hair is colored blonde ~ you might feel you need to color earlier.

My hair is still a mix of gray and my natural color so I can tolerate about five weeks of growth before I cannot stand the roots.

Another issue is fading, I have heard salon color does not fade as quickly as home hair color, but, I have no personal experience with this.

My color starts to fade after the first week and it is a salon color ~ I wish it did not as I love the freshly colored look. It is colored light golden chestnut. I have heard that you can decrease fading by shampooing less and using non-sulfate shampoos. Unfortunately, I love the feel of clean hair and I have seborrhea dermatitis of the scalp which requires shampooing about five times a week for me.

Conditioner only cleansing is supposed to help with fading, too.

On Makeup Alley, they like Satin hair color as a home hair color. I think they purchase this online. Lots of tips on the hair board at makeupalley.com.

My salon uses Lazartigue color, which can be purchased online and used at home. It runs dark so choose two shades lighter than you think you want if you go that route.

HTH
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I think the maintenance of your hair color makes a BIG difference -- as well as the brand.

I used to use Garnier Fructis, but it faded almost immediately. I was recoloring to freshen the look -- not because of roots. Ick.

I now use Scwartzkopf forte -- with extra coverage for resistant grays; I am almost all white now, I think -- and separate developer. From a beauty supply shop. It's the brand many high-end salons use, and is much cheaper than buying the drugstore kits. I am sitting here with color on my hair as I type, in fact.

A shampoo specifically for color-treated hair can help it to last, certainly. I have used only conditioner for years, and it still fades after about 5 weeks. I should try conditioner for color-treated hair, I guess! :->

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to share my experience - I have been coloring my hair at home for quite some time too; the top and sides (near the temple) are more white than my natural dark color. I had always used box colors from the stores (i.e. Target, Walgreens, etc.), however, I found a thread on this site regarding salon quality color (i.e. Wella Color Charm, etc) you can buy from Sally Beauty. Some of the comments included the color being richer, the dyes were better for your hair, gray coverage was better and it was economical. Folks also mentioned adding this product called Gray Magic to your color which would help your color grab the grays better. (How we can buy salon quality products without a license is beyond me though?)

Fortunately, I found a Sally store in our area. I purchased the color ($3.69?/box), a large bottle of developer ($5.30?/bottle), a box of gloves, gray magic ($.99/single application), an applicator bottle. Although the initial investment is about $20, it really is economical considering the developer can be used several times which would mean only purchasing the color in the future.

So far, I've colored my hair 3 times. I do not find that the gray coverage lasts any longer than store bought colors, even with adding the Gray Magic. Like the previous post mentions, it's likely because the gray grows out and not so much that the color faded. I do find the texture of my hair after coloring is not so dry (like straw), the color looks richer and does not fade as quickly. So while I was hoping to color my hair every 6 weeks like they recommend, I still need to do it every 3 weeks (and that's with my grays showing considerably because my natural color is dark).

The other tip I learned on this site is that adding apple cider vinegar to the shampoo and conditioner, will help your color to keep from fading so quickly. I've tried this with my conditioner only and did find my color did not get brassy or as faded. I'm still looking for a better shampoo & conditioner for colored hair - I'm one of those with coarse hair and need a heavy conditioner. Any suggestions?

Hopefully, there be more posts with more valuable tips! I'm learning so much from this site!
anjim
5% products discount

Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl-There is a blog by this woman who is a hairdresser that really knows her stuff. You should read it. It tells you all about how the box hair color is not good. Tons of info about covering gray and you can buy professional products from her. Good luck. Here is the link. www.killerstrands.blogspot.com Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I once started a thread entitled "Who else hates going to the hairdressers?" so I think you can tell where I stand! I also have very high maintenance hair - it's baby fine and bleached blond and I wear it in a pixie cut. I costs at absolute fortune to have it done at the hairdressers and I'm never happy with the results as I don't seem to speak a language that hairdressers understand. The colour also fades within a couple of weeks. Because I would rather spend all this money on having foreign substances injected into my face, I cut and colour my own hair - which is not without peril!

Canadian Girl - if I were you I wouldn't be colouring my hair at all. I love the look of naturally white hair - it's so stylish and with a good cut, it can look really edgy. Maybe you could go for some darker streaks. The link Anjim provided has some great info - I think we should get a separate forum started on EDS for hair, I'm going to suggest it. Anyway, for just colouring over grey I don't think that a salon colour would last any longer than a home one - it would just cost more money. Which is the one that Andy McDowell advertises? Is it something or other Colour Preference? Maybe you could give that a try.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
You have a pixie and you cut your own hair? How do you do you accomplish this?

Keliu wrote:
I once started a thread entitled "Who else hates going to the hairdressers?" so I think you can tell where I stand! I also have very high maintenance hair - it's baby fine and bleached blond and I wear it in a pixie cut. I costs at absolute fortune to have it done at the hairdressers and I'm never happy with the results as I don't seem to speak a language that hairdressers understand. The colour also fades within a couple of weeks. Because I would rather spend all this money on having foreign substances injected into my face, I cut and colour my own hair - which is not without peril!

Canadian Girl - if I were you I wouldn't be colouring my hair at all. I love the look of naturally white hair - it's so stylish and with a good cut, it can look really edgy. Maybe you could go for some darker streaks. The link Anjim provided has some great info - I think we should get a separate forum started on EDS for hair, I'm going to suggest it. Anyway, for just colouring over grey I don't think that a salon colour would last any longer than a home one - it would just cost more money. Which is the one that Andy McDowell advertises? Is it something or other Colour Preference? Maybe you could give that a try.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I use thinning scissors, the ones that have a serrated edge - that way mistakes don't show up as much. I'm actually getting quite good at it but it is hard to do the back. I have a double mirror set-up but really I go more by feel. I have more trouble with the colour but lately I've been using a streaking cap and that's working out quite well, although it's a bit of a chore. Before I started with the streaking cap I did have a fiasco with the bleaching (my hair went purple from the toner) and I had to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed. She said that my cut was really good and couldn't believe that I do it myself.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I'm impressed. I hate going to the salon too. I've at least compromised by not paying for it- I use to get my hair cut by going to the workshops where the junior stylists get instruction from the senior stylists. Of course, they always need a model to demonstrate on. That would be me.

I still hate it- I hate how they blow dry my hair until it's nice and crispy to their satisfaction, I hate how much they pull on my hair when they brush it, and I generally have communication problems with them. I'm going to start cutting my hair on my own as well, but it's not going to be such a feat for me cause I'm growing it long. Right now it's below my shoulders. I've never had long hair and I want to try having my hair to my waist, just to see.

Keliu wrote:
I use thinning scissors, the ones that have a serrated edge - that way mistakes don't show up as much. I'm actually getting quite good at it but it is hard to do the back. I have a double mirror set-up but really I go more by feel. I have more trouble with the colour but lately I've been using a streaking cap and that's working out quite well, although it's a bit of a chore. Before I started with the streaking cap I did have a fiasco with the bleaching (my hair went purple from the toner) and I had to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed. She said that my cut was really good and couldn't believe that I do it myself.
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
anjim, great link! Thanks!
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I also have dark brown hair and started getting greys in high school (!!!) I'm now 35 and probably 30% gray. I go to the salon for highlights and sometimes all over tint. However, I color my greys between salon appointments. I can't go more that 1 week without touching up my roots. I use Schwartzkof. My hairstylist recommended it. I found it far superior in coverage then ones found at the grocery store (however I didn't try them all.)
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Anjim - that’s a great link! I’m very interested in that Joico/Shiseido product they mention - Re:nual serum. Has anybody tried it? I know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, but I’m thinking of giving it a try.

http://www.joico.com/renu/science.php
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 10:02 am      Reply with quote
jf, I've never heard of Schwartzkof - where do you buy it from and what do you like about it? I started going gray in my early 20's and now at 49 years old, am quite gray at the top and temples. I used to have my hair highlighted which I liked but having to color the grays so frequently (I do my own) would just cover the highlights so I gave up.

appletini, I saw that Joico/Shiseido product mentioned on that site too but didn't have enough time to read through everything. OMG, that site has a wealth of information! I wanted to read everything but being it was late at night, my eyes were buggy Rolling Eyes and I wasn't comprehending very much! If you do try it, plse do post your thoughts!!

Thanks for all this wonderful info!
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
My mom has the same problem as you. What she does, is to dye at home and dye at salon alternately. She said this method can maintain the hair colour while saving money..
Flannery
5% products discount

Sat May 17, 2008 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies

I live in Germany and we get can get the hair color from Anna Borlind here called Puravera at health food stores. I use a color called cappuccino and I just love it because its a beautiful rich brown with no red cast. The conditioner is also great- has ceridamide (sp?)in it and leaves my hair feeling and looking healthy.

Flannery

5% products discount

Sat May 17, 2008 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the killerstrands blog. I'm interested in trying the joico serum as well. I know Dakota, the author from Killerstrands, may have a few left for sale. You can send her an email. If you want to order something from her, put ORDER in the title, she answers those first. I just bought the product she makes called Thriven to help repair my hair and to help with hairloss and thinning. You can read all about it under the heading thriven on her blog. The blog is a little hard to navigate as the headings are a little different, but they have the same info. Anyway, someone is going to help her put everything in a more user-friendly order and put in a shopping cart. Can't wait for that. Very Happy But it is quite the wealth of info! I plan on learning all I can so when my hair is healthy again, I can color it myself. I am really loving the thriven. I have only had it about a week and a half and have used it three or four times. She says to use it twice a week. You have to sleep with it which I find to be a pain sometimes, but worth it, I guess, if it is going to make my hair pretty again.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
blesstd - they sell it in the States. I think the manufacturer has a tight hold on who can sell their products b/c I have been looking for local beauty supply stores that carry but they all say "they aren't allowed to yet." (I'm in Los Angeles where almost everything is accessible.) So I end up driving over an hr to my old beauty supply store and getting it.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
blesstd - sorry I misspelled the name, its Schwarzkopf
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have gone to salons to have my hair colored, but I don't like the price and I find that the salon coloring is more damaging to my hair than the box version and doing it at home. I use any box color that is on sale (excluding some of the more cheaper brands). I find no difference in the amount of time that the color the salon does vs me doing it at home myself. I just color my roots, and my hair grows fast, usually about every four weeks (can get by at five-but roots are darker). Salon, same amount of time. It would not surprise me that the salon would say they are better, they want your business. The fact remains to me, if I can buy hair coloring at my local grocery store for $10.00 (on sale $8.00), then how can they justify charging $125 (the cost to color my hair). Sure some of the charge is the labor, but come on that much of a mark up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
To save money, I color my husband's hair myself and he went to the saloon for highlights. A lot of my friends do the same thing with inflation nowadays, we gonna find ways to save that why I purchase my products from EDS
sleepylily
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I think your problem is the speed that new hair coming out. It has nothing to do with the difference of salon or home. But I don't think it's very healthy to dye your hair so often...
chan
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl - I am not sure if it will work for you, but I use Redken Shades EQ.

I am 28 and have scattered white hairs, they look like streaks, and I have convinced myself it is from going to a hairdresser and getting my hair bleached out and streaked to go blonde every summer when I was younger Sad I am a natural level 4 (medium dark brown). I use to pay $120 every 6 weeks to get my hair dyed and then I thought why can't I do this myself. I asked my hairdresser what colours he used on my hair and brand and I ordered them from ebay. It works out to be about $8 when I do it myself and it's just as easy to do as store bought brands.

I was told (from my old hair dresser) that regular brands from the store "lift" your colour so it can deposit its colour into your hair. Shades EQ is demi-permanent meaning that it will wash/fade out. I like it because it doesn't contain harsh chemicals and right now it's doing the trick. I looks super natural and i have no root re-growth because it slowly fades into my natural colour (which I try to match). I reapply every 5-6 weeks.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
jf wrote:
blesstd - sorry I misspelled the name, its Schwarzkopf

Hope its not the US Army General .. Wink) Smile) just kidding!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |