Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is micronized zinc oxide a nanoparticle?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am totally confused about sunscreens! Like many I am in search for a facial sunscreen but I am afraid of the nanotechnology because of it's ability to enter the blood stream. I have found that just about every suncscreen with zinc oxide is micronized which I know means small! But how small? I am concerned because zinc oxide is a poison if ingested! Otherwise topically it is fine to use!
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
micro is larger than nano by one factor

however neither penetrate the skin, hence they don't enter the skincare...this is just marketing hullaballoo and fear mongering.

it is true we don't know enough about nanoparticles, and due to their small size and the changing ratio of volume vs. surface area the properties of materials can change.

the only studied issue with nano and micro zinc and titanium oxide particles is that they can produce free radicals in UV exposure, however coating them in dimethicone can prevent this.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I spend a good amount of time researching everything sunscreen related, so you can trust me!

First, a primer to notation:

10^3=1000 is kilo (as in kilometer is 1000 meters)

10^0=1

10^-3=.001 is milli (as in millimeter is 1/100 of a meter)

10^-6=.000001 is micro

10^-9=.000000001 is nano

Does that clear anything up?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 8:59 am      Reply with quote
So micro is bigger than nano by a factor of 1000.

Micronized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide is DEFINITELY safe. The only questions are about nano particles of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. However, any research done so far has shown that nano particles of zinc oxide are safe, but nano particles of titanium dioxide are slightly less safe. If you want me to back up my statements, I can do that.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys for clearing things up for me! I will purchase a sunscreen with micronized zinc oxide!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue: Could you please tell me which sunscreen did you choose after all your research? Thanks!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
Nimue: Could you please tell me which sunscreen did you choose after all your research? Thanks!

I will, as soon as I make the final choices! LOL

I'm concerned with safety, the elegance of the sunscreen, and the price. I've ordered the Devita body sunscreen (it's 14% zinc oxide) and I hope I get it soon, it looks like the place I ordered it from isn't super quick with the shipping. I ordered it May 13'th and it's still not even shipped yet, I've already sent them an e-mail about it. I just hope I do get it eventually from them. I can't comment on it yet since I haven't tried it, but Devita has been getting good reviews, and it looks like the body sunscreen is virtually identical to the face sunscreen, it's just cheaper.

I think the Epicuren spf 20 is a very good product. It's 17% zinc oxide. I've tried it on and it's like a moisturizer, there's minimal white cast and zero flaking. I recommend this product. I did not get it because I kept on looking for a cheaper alternative and whenever I wanted to buy it it was out of stock at the local spa. It's 34$ for a 2.5 oz tube, which really isn't that bad, but it isn't cheap.

I think Mexitan makes a good sunscreen also. It's definitely the cheapest option but it's not that fantastic in terms of cosmetic elegance. There's some white cast and it can get flakey if it's rubbed. I think Mexitan spf 50 is fantastic to mix with a body lotion for an inexpensive body sunscreen.

I tried Badger- that product can only be used in creative ways. You have to not only mix it with something else since it's just too thick and waxy and clumpy on its own but you also have to crush out the clumps. On the bright side if you just rub it in between your fingers you can rub out the lumps and it's not at all flakey, no matter how much you rub it. I tried! I have made an awesome eye sunscreen/concealer from it by mixing it with the dermalogica ultra sensitive face block spf 25.

The dermalogica ultra sensitive face block spf 25 is a good product. The active ingredient is naturally tinted titanium dioxide. The tint is around NW 20-25 and I think it's an awesome product to mix with physical sunscren to deal with any white cast.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to thank Starlight for asking the question (I have been wondering too!) and Nimue for providing such great info. I feel much better about the particles not entering my bloodstream now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I just wanted to thank Starlight for asking the question (I have been wondering too!) and Nimue for providing such great info. I feel much better about the particles not entering my bloodstream now.

I'm really happy that it was helpful and maybe resolved some worries for you. Smile
sfong
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't know the difference either. but I only use sunscreen with zinc oxide. Obagi and skinceuticals are both great.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in Australia and use sunscreen every day. I never thought about this before. You ladies have me a bit worried now. I think I'll go check all the packaging of my sunscreens.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I am studying enginnering, one of my professor is doing the research of nano. He told me that nanotechnology is just the slogan or statement that the cosmetic or skin care company used to promote their products. He said even micro can penerate into your blood vessels, so does nano.
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Found your thread after coming across this artivle in some of my searches today- even as nanoparticle seems the review concludes it is safe...

http://www.tga.health.gov.au/npmeds/sunscreen-zotd.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
tuningmyheart wrote:
Found your thread after coming across this artivle in some of my searches today- even as nanoparticle seems the review concludes it is safe...

http://www.tga.health.gov.au/npmeds/sunscreen-zotd.htm

Thanks for that link! That's pretty much exactly what I've been getting, again and again when it comes to the "danger" of nano particles of zinc oxide: the danger is purely theoretical and actual clinical results are inconclusive at worst.
evariana

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Nanoparticles are particles that have one dimension that is 100 nanometers or less in size.The properties of many conventional materials change when formed from nanoparticles. This is typically because nanoparticles have a greater surface area per weight than larger particles; this causes them to be more reactive to certain other molecules.

Nanoparticles are used, or being evaluated for use, in many fields. The list below introduces many of the uses under development. You can use the links in each paragraph to go to a detailed explanation.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |