Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Review: Actifirm 15% Z-Peel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 am      Reply with quote
A friend of mine introduced this to me, I was skeptical of enzyme based exfoliants as I find them to be irritating but ineffective for removing dead skin buildup.

How it works - it is not made of traditional acids or plant enzymes, the active ingredient is a mushroom extract which contains the enzymes that are naturally found in the skin which assist the natural skin shedding cycle. It claims to have the ability to self neutralise when it detects hot spots, which I think just means that the enzyme only affects skin cells that are ready to be shed. Also it does not state that you need to use added sun protection after treatment which is an added bonus.

I like this product because I can use it daily, right after cleansing, and even before applying Differin (with a minimum one hour wait period).

I put one of the causes of my skin congestion to be an irregular skin shedding process, and Actifirm 15% Z-Peel is literally like the wax that removes only the hair and leaves the skin unharmed.

The first several uses did cause my skin to feel somewhat irritated, but the sensation always subsided and never had residue irritation after rinsing off. By the time I purchased the full size product, I can feel very very minute tingling, bordering irritation, around the nose area but nowhere else.

I have been able to avoid manual exfoliation for several weeks now, even my stubborn t-zone areas which tend to get congested and need strong exfoliation to smooth out. In fact, the smoothness and clarity I often experienced the morning after an exfoliation was nothing compared to how refined my skin has become since starting the peels.

The product is a viscous serum texture which works best on moist (and softened) skin, you can gently massage into the skin for a while before the peel starts to dry up. I usually wet my fingertips several times and continue to massage for a few minutes. On the packaging it recommends to leave on for three minutes but I don't think it is crucial to keep in time.

In conclusion, I like it enough to replace all my current exfoliants, although I might dabble in the microdermabrasion crystals for any stubborn problems. I think this is the type of exfoliant (and product) which absolutely does not worsen any skin condition and has the ability to help enhance the benefits of other products and to assist the skin to repair itself and restore some sort of happy medium.

Overall, I would highly recommend this as an alternative for people who cannot tolerate physical scrubs or chemical exfoliants but still need to ensure skin is exfoliated. I have skin that easily turns red and becomes taut when exposed to the wrong products and this certainly does not aggravate my thin skin even when using the massaging motion to apply the product.

I have seen this in a 30% concentration (I was told that this is equivalent to a 15% glycolic peel, if that helps with comparision). There is also a Plus version for both the 15% AND 30% peel, it just seems to contain some buffing beads for added exfoliation and costs a few dollars more. There is also a 200ml size for the original peel, but like the 30% peel they are professional sizes.

Available on EDS for a little over $80 for a 30ml size, the price might be on the high scale but I find that two pumps each use will go a long way.
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
mirnets, I am curious how long you have been using the actifirm?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
approximately a dozen uses

also, I have found this product is sometimes just called Actifirm Actizyme Cellular Peel with no % listing (in a syringe type packaging - could it be an old release?)

here are the ingredients:
Water, Butylene Glycol, Mucor Miehei Extract, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Succinic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Chloride, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Fruit Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sorbic Acid
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:20 am      Reply with quote
I came across this product by accident, bought it because it was on sale.
I had no idea it had been around at least since the beginning of the thread (2008). I thought it was new-ish.

Anyway, I used it and found it to be extremely effectively. There is A LOT of granules in the PLUS version so if I was overzealous, it will be quite harsh but this can be controlled manually.

The instruction is to keep it on the skin for 3 minutes but do not let it dry out. I sit in front of my Panasonic Nano steamer for 3 mins.

Would I repurchase again? Prob not at its full price $80 30ml.

I found the Nia24+ Exfoliator to be almost as good without the enzyme. And I have a separate enzyme exfoliator so I can alternate or use them consecutively for the same results.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
A quick correction. It's $82 for 2 oz (60ml)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |