Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Caudalie Favorites - Beauty Grows Here (5 items) Bioelements All Things Pure Cleanser (103 ml / 3.5 floz) Skin Biology Tinpep Hand Cream Large (114 g / 4 oz)
Can jogging or running give you wrinkles?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 537
Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I usually take a brisk walk but would like to add light jogging to my routine. Can someone tell me if this rumor of getting wrinkles from running is true. Also, how does running causes wrinkles?
mrspiggy
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Wed May 21, 2008 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I had never heard of that! Exclamation

_________________
34 yrs old Asian Combo skin.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1655
Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
I can practically guarantee that exercise generally helps you a whole lot more than it hurts you! Any exercise! It gets the blood flowing, it gets you sweating...

For jogging running, you should be most worried about hurting your joints. I believe that jogging on pavement is a disaster waiting to happen. It's much better to run on a track (lined with rubber) or grass, or a treadmill, just not pavement! Also make sure you're supported in the chest.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Posts: 2149
Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
Jogging can be bad for your knees and back...it guarantees a steady paycheck for orthopedic surgeons. Running is also bad for your face and boobs, it pulls it down, ever seen a die hard runners face whose been running for 20 years?It shows in their face. I use an elliptical bike, its easy on the knees and body in general...low impact.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
Jogging is okay = but die hard running (long distance etc) is tougher on the face and body. Marathoners do tend to look gaunt and some what wrinkled - probably from low body fat.

I've run for 20 years and I look fine but my weight is stable and I wear SS and a good jogging bra.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 459
Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
It can give you wrinkles if you dont protect your skin properly with sunblock. I see lots of athletes with sun damage. Also dont forget to wear sports clothing with SPF built in as when you sweat it can make the clothing more transparent and you can get UV damage that way.
seno
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 136
Thu May 22, 2008 1:28 am      Reply with quote
The reason people say it can give you wrinkles is because your skin can get dehydrated when you sweat. That's what the clinique lady told me once. She said it shows most on your eye area- maybe she was just trying to sell me the new eye cream (it worked Brick wall
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 1366
Thu May 22, 2008 4:02 am      Reply with quote
In addition to what's mentioned above, I believe hard training make some people do face expressions etc. that can develop wrinkles. Look at the weight lifters!

I also found this article (almost at the bottom of the link), where a plastic surgeon warns against jogging as skin gets continuously stretched and can lose its elasticity. He told that he can see a different between his jogging and non-jogging patients.

http://www.cosmeticsurgery.com/articles/archive/an~185

_________________
Female, 40, Norway. Normal/dry skin, starting to see signs of aging. Staples: Glycolic acid cleanser, SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF, Revaleskin, NIA24.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 340
Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Jogging and running would give you wrinkle if you don't apply sunblock on your face and body.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 1168
Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 am      Reply with quote
I ran for 22 years. I think it keeps you young and healthy but can also take its toll. My knees are shot but that is more about my own misalligned muscular-skeletal system. I do believe OVER TIME, the process of jogging up and down effects the elasticity in the face. I have seen many a seasoned runner (who has run for a number of years) whose face is gaunt but droopy! Too bad there isn't a face bra for running! I don't think a little jogging a few times a week should be an issue.

_________________
Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 1039
Thu May 22, 2008 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
In addition to what's mentioned above, I believe hard training make some people do face expressions etc. that can develop wrinkles. Look at the weight lifters!

I also found this article (almost at the bottom of the link), where a plastic surgeon warns against jogging as skin gets continuously stretched and can lose its elasticity. He told that he can see a different between his jogging and non-jogging patients.

http://www.cosmeticsurgery.com/articles/archive/an~185


thank you for the link, Septembergirl! It answers this question.
seems that a treadmill in a fitness club also a no-no - I don`t wanna cause any sagging...

_________________
31, combo - oily, breakout-prone, fair complexion, sensitive and prone to rosacea
tuningmyheart
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 176
Thu May 22, 2008 6:12 am      Reply with quote
There is so much these days about the benefit of walking so I do not see the need to add jogging to my routine. I find that when I want more of a challenge I hop on my treadmill and increase the incline rather than the speed-it is pretty falt where I live so there is not much I can do outside for more intensity without breaking into a jog, which I have done in short bursts.

_________________
46 with combination skin,natural strawberry blonde, green eyes, fair complexion- using Karin Herzog and topping it off with osmosis shelter
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Thu May 22, 2008 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
In addition to what's mentioned above, I believe hard training make some people do face expressions etc. that can develop wrinkles. Look at the weight lifters!

I also found this article (almost at the bottom of the link), where a plastic surgeon warns against jogging as skin gets continuously stretched and can lose its elasticity. He told that he can see a different between his jogging and non-jogging patients.

http://www.cosmeticsurgery.com/articles/archive/an~185


Very interesting article SG. I can see that the action of the face being "jogged" as you run would put stress on the collagen and give an impact over time.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Posts: 2149
Thu May 22, 2008 7:12 am      Reply with quote
an elliptical bike does not pound your body and u can get a good workout.Also it keeps u out of the sun.I have never believed that sunscreen adequately protects from the sun; therefore I avoid it like the plaque and have few wrinkles for being 54.Die hard runners refuse to believe their looks will suffer in the long run...you know they get addicted to it.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 521
Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I think it's because of sun damage.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 552
Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Just when I think I am doing the right thing by getting my fat ass on the treadmill 3 times a week to find out I am basically sabotaging the gobs of money being spent trying to stay young looking.
Looks like it is the elliptical for me from now on.

_________________
mid 40's, blonde, blue eyes, normal skin, DIY skin regime, AALS - biggest problem undereye - getting much better with AALS & DIY serums.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1655
Thu May 22, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Just when I think I am doing the right thing by getting my fat ass on the treadmill 3 times a week to find out I am basically sabotaging the gobs of money being spent trying to stay young looking.
Looks like it is the elliptical for me from now on.


I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most of the comments that jogging is bad were:

1. joggers don't always wear adequate spf protection, which leads to sun damage

2. joggers that run on pavement are ruining their joints

If you're running on an indoor treadmill, you're not doing either 1 or 2! I don't believe exercise makes you lose elasticity. If that was true, then all aerobic exercise would be bad for you, which is silly.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 552
Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Nimue thanx for the clarity Very Happy

_________________
mid 40's, blonde, blue eyes, normal skin, DIY skin regime, AALS - biggest problem undereye - getting much better with AALS & DIY serums.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1655
Thu May 22, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
This just occurred to me- if you're paranoid about running, do yoga! Also maybe pilates.

All the yoga teachers I see look sooo young. They have grey hair and that's the only thing that reveals the age. When you think about it, yoga gives you so many physical benefits without even theoretical drawbacks. There's no jumping, no running... As long as your teacher is qualified you're really unlikely to hurt yourself or damage your joints in any way by practicing yoga. Also, yoga will make doing other athletic activities safer.
librarygirl
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Thu May 22, 2008 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I have been looking into this for the past several weeks since I started jogging two miles on the treadmill every other day. Makes me wonder if I am doing my skin more harm than good.

However, I love the effects of jogging because I know I am burning some serious calories and the glow I get in my skin is by far cheaper and more effective than any cream on the market. All that circulation, de-stressing, and revving up the body metabolism are truly anti-agers. With that said, don't let that plastic surgeon, Dr. Grossman, deter you from jogging or any other aerobic activity. I think a more telling study would be to measure the sagging on runners' faces with one group being outdoor runners and another group being indoor track runners. That way, we can see if the sag occurs from the sun or from jogging. I honestly believe that the sagging comes from the sun and not enough protection after sweating than the pounding on the pavement.

Marathon runners spend a LOT of their time running. Combine that with the sun and you're just asking for a face meltdown. Marathon running is extreme and too much of anything is not good for anyone. Running about 10 miles a week may fine since the benefits outweigh the cons for your skin and health.

Here is an excerpt on why you should not let anyone deter you from running:

More Ways to Slow the Aging Process

Here are excerpts from an article by Dr. Henry S. Lodge, a faculty member of Columbia Medical School, writing in the Sunday magazine, Parade, March 18, 2007.

You Can Stop "Normal" Aging

The hard reality of our biology is that we are built to move. Exercise is the master signaling system that tells our cells to grow instead of fade. When we exercise, that process of growth spreads throughout every cell in our bodies, making us functionally younger. And not a little bit younger--a lot younger. True biological aging is a surprisingly slow and graceful process. You can live out your life in a powerful, healthy body if you are willing to put in the work.

Let's see how exercise works at the cellular level. The body is made up of trillions of cells that live mostly for a few weeks or months, die and are replaced by new cells in an endless cycle. Examples are the taste buds, which live only a few hours, and the muscle cells which live about 3 months. Even our bones dissolve and are replaced over and over again. A few key stem cells in each organ and the brain cells are the only ones that stick around for the duration. All of the other cells are in a constant state of renewal.

We replace about 1% of our cells every day. That means 1% of your body is brand-new today, and you get another 1% tomorrow. Think of it as getting a whole new body every 3 months. It's not entirely accurate, but it's pretty close. ...Cells in the lungs, liver, skin, heart, etc. are constantly renewing...You choose whether these new cells come in stronger or weaker. You choose whether they grow or decay each day. Your cells don't care which choice you make. They just follow the directions you send. Exercise, and your cells get stronger; sit down, and they decay.

Indeed, when you exercise, your muscles release specific substances that travel throughout your bloodstream, telling your cells to grow. Sedentary muscles, on the other hand, let out a steady trickle of chemicals that whisper to every cell to decay, day after day after day.

Men and women who go from sedentary to fit, cut their risk of dying from a heart attack by 75 and 88% respectively. And remember that heart attacks are the largest single killer of women--and men. Both men and women can double their leg strength with 3 months of exercise, and most of us can double it again in another 3 months. This is true whether you're in your 30s or your 90s. It's not a miracle or a mystery. It's your biology, and you're in charge.

A proper diet, of course is always important and is certainly part of the equation. And it is important to remember that most aging is just the dry rot we program into our cells by sedentary living, junk food and stress.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 May 2007
Posts: 1001
Thu May 22, 2008 10:57 am      Reply with quote
I don't think running on a treadmill would make you get wrinkles. If you run outdoor, and don't wear sunscreen, then that's a good possibility. Most marathon runners look gaunt because they run too much. Running is cardio and it takes a lot out of you. These runners burn off too much fat. Too much fat loss = saggy skin. A friend of mine is not a runner, but a regular walker. She exercises 3 times a day, and only eats salad. Her skin looks like a prune. She has 0 body fat, or looks that way. It's very unattractive, but she seems happy with it.
pomme_81
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 95
Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote
i dont think the jogging would make you the wrinkles. i think it is good for your health.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Thu May 22, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting L-girl. Makes perfect sense. I'm off for a power walk (best of both worlds maybe!)


librarygirl wrote:
I have been looking into this for the past several weeks since I started jogging two miles on the treadmill every other day. Makes me wonder if I am doing my skin more harm than good.

However, I love the effects of jogging because I know I am burning some serious calories and the glow I get in my skin is by far cheaper and more effective than any cream on the market. All that circulation, de-stressing, and revving up the body metabolism are truly anti-agers. With that said, don't let that plastic surgeon, Dr. Grossman, deter you from jogging or any other aerobic activity. I think a more telling study would be to measure the sagging on runners' faces with one group being outdoor runners and another group being indoor track runners. That way, we can see if the sag occurs from the sun or from jogging. I honestly believe that the sagging comes from the sun and not enough protection after sweating than the pounding on the pavement.

Marathon runners spend a LOT of their time running. Combine that with the sun and you're just asking for a face meltdown. Marathon running is extreme and too much of anything is not good for anyone. Running about 10 miles a week may fine since the benefits outweigh the cons for your skin and health.

Here is an excerpt on why you should not let anyone deter you from running:

More Ways to Slow the Aging Process

Here are excerpts from an article by Dr. Henry S. Lodge, a faculty member of Columbia Medical School, writing in the Sunday magazine, Parade, March 18, 2007.

You Can Stop "Normal" Aging

The hard reality of our biology is that we are built to move. Exercise is the master signaling system that tells our cells to grow instead of fade. When we exercise, that process of growth spreads throughout every cell in our bodies, making us functionally younger. And not a little bit younger--a lot younger. True biological aging is a surprisingly slow and graceful process. You can live out your life in a powerful, healthy body if you are willing to put in the work.

Let's see how exercise works at the cellular level. The body is made up of trillions of cells that live mostly for a few weeks or months, die and are replaced by new cells in an endless cycle. Examples are the taste buds, which live only a few hours, and the muscle cells which live about 3 months. Even our bones dissolve and are replaced over and over again. A few key stem cells in each organ and the brain cells are the only ones that stick around for the duration. All of the other cells are in a constant state of renewal.

We replace about 1% of our cells every day. That means 1% of your body is brand-new today, and you get another 1% tomorrow. Think of it as getting a whole new body every 3 months. It's not entirely accurate, but it's pretty close. ...Cells in the lungs, liver, skin, heart, etc. are constantly renewing...You choose whether these new cells come in stronger or weaker. You choose whether they grow or decay each day. Your cells don't care which choice you make. They just follow the directions you send. Exercise, and your cells get stronger; sit down, and they decay.

Indeed, when you exercise, your muscles release specific substances that travel throughout your bloodstream, telling your cells to grow. Sedentary muscles, on the other hand, let out a steady trickle of chemicals that whisper to every cell to decay, day after day after day.

Men and women who go from sedentary to fit, cut their risk of dying from a heart attack by 75 and 88% respectively. And remember that heart attacks are the largest single killer of women--and men. Both men and women can double their leg strength with 3 months of exercise, and most of us can double it again in another 3 months. This is true whether you're in your 30s or your 90s. It's not a miracle or a mystery. It's your biology, and you're in charge.

A proper diet, of course is always important and is certainly part of the equation. And it is important to remember that most aging is just the dry rot we program into our cells by sedentary living, junk food and stress.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 552
Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
librarygirl thank you for that great article.

_________________
mid 40's, blonde, blue eyes, normal skin, DIY skin regime, AALS - biggest problem undereye - getting much better with AALS & DIY serums.
sleepylily
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 57
Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I never heard of that, I only heard they will help you look better!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



B Kamins Clear Control Purifying Masque (120 g / 4 oz) Skin Biology Tinpep Hand Cream Large (114 g / 4 oz) DDF Bio-Moisture Eye Serum (14 g / 0.5 oz)