Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
"all-day" lip colors?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using an inexpensive lip color (Cover Girl)that stays on all day. I put it on, then a lip liner the same color and then the gloss that comes with it. I really like the way it looks and it really does stay on but it also dries my lips out terribly and I wonder if there's a similar product out there that's not drying. hmm
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have read a magazine, it compared lots of lip gloss, and it found that Bobbi Brown lip gloss can last long and remain shinny.

But for myself, I am using Julie Hewett lip stick and lip gloss which brought from EDS. I think the color is nice, the lip stick is rich enough which won't dry my lip. However, I dun like the flavour of the gloss.
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I have good luck with Revlon Colorstay Overtime Sheer- it still gets a little dry, but not to the point that it bothers me. You have to reapply the gloss to fight that, which I think tends to be true of most of these types of products.

Maybe the Bobbi Brown over the top would be a solution- especially since one tends to go through the gloss much faster than the stain.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I believe dryness is part of the nature of these color-stay lipsticks. That's what makes them long lasting. None of the lipsticks that contain more oils will stay long on lips.

I have tried quite a few of the long lasting lipsticks with separate glosses, but won't repurchase as they dry out my lips.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the Bobbi Brown over the top would be a solution- especially since one tends to go through the gloss much faster than the stain

tuningmyheart, which Bobbi Brown product do you mean? A clear gloss? I love their foundation and concealer but I seem to go through lip stuff so fast so I chose he cheapies. Never thought to combine the two. Which product are you referring to. TIA Very Happy
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl says it all here. An "all day" lip color really does dry out the lips. My opinion is to wear a true lipstick and if you want the sheen use a bit of lip balm over to keep your lips moist. OR use a lip pencil all over with lip balm over.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I've tried every brand of semi-permanents and I think Maybelline has a pretty good formula. Doesn't ball up or really dry the lips too bad. But you do need a gloss or balm over it.

Another option which I've just recently discovered is the glosses which turn color on your lips. Sorta like those mood lipsticks, but these are light glosses and turn your lips into natural shades of pink or rose. Avon Mark makes Glossblossom. Too Faced has one called Mood Swing, and Smashbox has one. I like them because they look natural, last a long time, and are not very sticky. I tried Glossblossom and Too faced. They are about the same as consistency and results, but Glossblossom is about half the size, but cheaper at $6 a tube.
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
wancy_2000 wrote:
I have read a magazine, it compared lots of lip gloss, and it found that Bobbi Brown lip gloss can last long and remain shinny.

Nanapost- in answer to your question I was referring to the above mentioned by wancy_2000 previously.
have not tried it myself, but worth a look I think.

I noticed on the Bobbi Brown site that they also have tinted lip balms, I might have to try one of those too.
oh, this place is never good for my budget Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
Septembergirl says it all here. An "all day" lip color really does dry out the lips. My opinion is to wear a true lipstick and if you want the sheen use a bit of lip balm over to keep your lips moist. OR use a lip pencil all over with lip balm over.

In agreement with Septembergirl and SusieQ. Despite many years trying, I’ve never found a "long lasting" or "all day" lip colour that isn’t drying.

I also favour SusieQ’s approach of lip balm over lip pencil - I do this most days for work. If I need more colour, what works best for me is a coloured lip balm over lip pencil. I like Stila Clear Colour Lip Tint over a matching lip pencil. It’s got me through many a long night Smile
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm thinking I'll try the lip pencil with gloss over it. At the store where I buy Bobbi Brown there are always a couple of promotional sales 3 or 4 times a year when you can get 20% off of anything, including makeup. I usually am able to time my makeup purchases to take advantage of that. Now the trick is finding the right color lip pencil. As I got older, probably late 40's, early 50's, my lips faded and now I try to get them back to where they once were naturally. The older I get, the more tricks I need. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Lip balm on top of lip liner is my best trick, as well. For a natural look, my all time favorite is Chanel lip liner in "Nude" with a regular - or slightly pink - lip balm over.

Thanks to boski for reminding me of the magical lip glosses that adds a rosy touch to the lips. I have been eyeing Smashbox O glow with gojiberries. I want to buy everything with gojiberries! I guess it's my childish way to oppose against the authorities as gojiberries are prohibited in the country where I live. Forbidden fruit is sweet.

Here is the lip gloss:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P202004

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Lip balm on top of lip liner is my best trick, as well. For a natural look, my all time favorite is Chanel lip liner in "Nude" with a regular - or slightly pink - lip balm over.

Thanks to boski for reminding me of the magical lip glosses that adds a rosy touch to the lips. I have been eyeing Smashbox O glow with gojiberries. I want to buy everything with gojiberries! I guess it's my childish way to oppose against the authorities as gojiberries are prohibited in the country where I live. Forbidden fruit is sweet.

Here is the lip gloss:

I never heard of the mood glosses until a couple months ago, but it's my favorite lip color right now. I've given up my semi-permanents. Try the Glossblossom first. It's so cheap and has a refreshing melon taste to it. Very natural coloring and leaves the lips feeling moist but not gloppy. Sometimes you can find it on Ebay for $5 a tube. It doesn't last long though, I would stock up.

http://www.avon.com/1/1/501-mark-glossblossom-ripening-lip-tint.html
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I guess it's my childish way to oppose against the authorities as gojiberries are prohibited in the country where I live. Forbidden fruit is sweet.

Here is the lip gloss:

I forgot to ask...where do you live and why would goji berries be prohibited? It's one of the best antioxidants you can eat, and it's fairly tasty too. I keep a bag by my desk and nibble them like raisins.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

I also have the Chanel Nude lip pencil! Although I also love Chanel Burgundy, now discontinued of course ... grrr

Nanapost - re the Bobbi Brown lip glosses. I used them back in the 90s, had quite a few colours, and unless they’ve changed their packaging I wouldn’t recommend them. If they still have the brush applicator thingie, in my experience it gets really messed up very quickly getting it back in the tube, no matter how careful you are, and you can’t apply it cleanly/easily. Maybe they’ve changed to a better applicator now, but check the testers and if it’s a brush and all scrunched up.. you have been warned Smile

It’s a shame, as I really like the Aubergine colour, but ended up tossing it as I couldn’t get a precise application due to the messed up brush.
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
appletini- thanks for the heads up on the bobbi brown glosses- will have to see if i can find a tester somewhere.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:
I guess it's my childish way to oppose against the authorities as gojiberries are prohibited in the country where I live. Forbidden fruit is sweet.

Here is the lip gloss:

I forgot to ask...where do you live and why would goji berries be prohibited? It's one of the best antioxidants you can eat, and it's fairly tasty too. I keep a bag by my desk and nibble them like raisins.

I live in Norway. The prohibition is, mildly said, an overreaction from the health authorities. I believe it's due to the very high content of antioxidants. I have to stick with raisins by my desk. It's also prohibited to sell MSM and Alpha-lipoic-acid in Norway as they are considered drugs. Rolling Eyes

The Smashbox lip gloss will be my only possibility to get my lips near gojiberries. I will also look into your recommendation that is considerably cheaper.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
As a make-up artist, I've found that the longer wearing the lipstick, the more drying it usually is. Just like how stickier lipgloss wears longer.

My favorite lip-stain that I've had the least complaints from my customers is Vincent Longos Lip & Cheek stain. Nice product, just kinda of pricey.

Also, this may be a long shot, but if you don't drink enough water it shows first in your lips. So if your not keeping yourself hydrated, your lips will dry out even easier.

HTH!

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I'm not much help here as i don't really use lip colours that much.
The only thing I've been using on my lips over the last 18 months is the Lips 2 Kiss line (which includes an amazing lip treatment + lip glosses and lip stains/colours). It is a bit of commitment to start using L2K, but if you do - it's time and money well spent. The system made a significant changes to my lips.
Anywho, L2K lip colours are pretty nice (to be honest, I tried one colour only) and they are long-lasting (like a stain). The lip colour system comes with the colour and the lovely glaze you apply on top of the colour. Once the colour is dry you just have to apply the glaze on your lips throughout the day. The glaze is very glossy and can be either transparent or can have a bit of colour or shimmer in it. The glaze has some very nice stuff in it (hyaluronic acid) and this is what moisturizes lips throughout a day.
For more information I'd suggest reading through L2K website.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |