Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Green tea for acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I got the idea from the 302 skincare website:

If client has an occasional breakout, the following will be useful:
Demonstrate use of green tea swabbing of skin for antibiotic effect - this is equivalent to a 4% benzoyl peroxide treatment but without the skin depletion. Once or twice a day when breakouts are visible. Tea may be kept for up to two days after making. Tea may be warm or cool.

Has anyone tried this? If so, any results?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried it! Smile
When I'm drinking green tea when I'm done with it (and it's mostly cool) sometimes I use the tea bag as a toner and just wipe it all over. It didn't feel like it did anything, but it's supposed to be really good.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have not tried it but.....I find it hard to believe green tea would be as effective as 4%BP.
Green tea is a great antioxidant so I think its helpfull with healing but I dont think it has the same antibacterial effects as BP.
I do drink green tea so I may give this a try as it surely cant hurt.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used green tea topically, but apparently there was a study done on this. You can google this topic and find many people who have done this with success. So, what the heck, I would try it. It's cheap and not going to hurt. Of course, drinking green tea is also beneficial for a host of things.

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/11304/
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
I've never used green tea topically, but apparently there was a study done on this. You can google this topic and find many people who have done this with success. So, what the heck, I would try it. It's cheap and not going to hurt. Of course, drinking green tea is also beneficial for a host of things.

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/11304/

Thanks for the link! However, I wish they gave a link to the actual green tea study. That link is mostly marketing specific products... However if even a quarter of the claims are true, that is amazing. Green tea's really cheap... You can just try using the tea bag like I do as a toner after drinking a cup of green tea so that none of it is wasted.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I found a little more about that study. It was done in 2003. If anybody can find the actual study, that would be great. This really sounds fascinating. Next time I have tea I'll just rub the bag over my face afterwards Laughing . Thanks for posting this. I never read this on the website, or heard Dr H talk about it.

Here is some information about the study:

“SAN FRANCISCO, March 24 2003 (UPI) -- Long touted for its health-promoting properties, green tea might be an effective treatment for acne, a study suggests.

Green tea has been shown to fight bacteria, reduce inflammation and decrease hormone activity -- three characteristics that make the ancient tea an excellent candidate for an acne therapy.

"This study showed that 3 percent green tea cream is comparable to 4 percent benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of moderate to severe acne," said lead author, Dr. Jennifer Gan-Wong, with the Memorial Medical Center in the Philippines.

Gan-Wong presented her team's findings at the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. Researchers from tested the promising candidate -- in the form of a 3 percent green tea extract cream -- vs. the leading treatment for acne, 4 percent benzoyl peroxide cream.

A computer randomized a group of 108 subjects into one of two treatment groups. One applied benzoyl peroxide cream twice daily for 12 weeks and the other used green tea extract cream twice daily for the same period. Patients received identical bottles of cream and were unaware of the type of treatment they were assigned.

Subjects were examined and photographed each week by dermatologists, who also were unaware which treatment each patient had been given.

The researchers noted the green tea cream seemed to lighten patients' skin color and improve the overall appearance of their complexion.

Green tea therapy might be appealing to consumers because conventional wisdom holds that natural products are less toxic and have fewer side effects than other drug products, the researchers said.

The preliminary data suggest green tea extract cream causes fewer side effects than benzoyl peroxide treatment. Patients in the green tea group reported fewer cases of dry skin, itching and allergic responses...
SeaBella

Mon May 26, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that Green Tea is very healthy,
and contains natural antioxidant but
eating healthy, taking supplements and
exercise will not only have a positive
impact on our skin but also on our overall
health and well being.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I wonder what they mean by 3% green tea cream? They did say it's "green tea extract", I wonder if a green tea bag would be doing the same thing or not.

boski wrote:
I found a little more about that study. It was done in 2003. If anybody can find the actual study, that would be great. This really sounds fascinating. Next time I have tea I'll just rub the bag over my face afterwards Laughing . Thanks for posting this. I never read this on the website, or heard Dr H talk about it.

Here is some information about the study:

“SAN FRANCISCO, March 24 2003 (UPI) -- Long touted for its health-promoting properties, green tea might be an effective treatment for acne, a study suggests.

Green tea has been shown to fight bacteria, reduce inflammation and decrease hormone activity -- three characteristics that make the ancient tea an excellent candidate for an acne therapy.

"This study showed that 3 percent green tea cream is comparable to 4 percent benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of moderate to severe acne," said lead author, Dr. Jennifer Gan-Wong, with the Memorial Medical Center in the Philippines.

Gan-Wong presented her team's findings at the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. Researchers from tested the promising candidate -- in the form of a 3 percent green tea extract cream -- vs. the leading treatment for acne, 4 percent benzoyl peroxide cream.

A computer randomized a group of 108 subjects into one of two treatment groups. One applied benzoyl peroxide cream twice daily for 12 weeks and the other used green tea extract cream twice daily for the same period. Patients received identical bottles of cream and were unaware of the type of treatment they were assigned.

Subjects were examined and photographed each week by dermatologists, who also were unaware which treatment each patient had been given.

The researchers noted the green tea cream seemed to lighten patients' skin color and improve the overall appearance of their complexion.

Green tea therapy might be appealing to consumers because conventional wisdom holds that natural products are less toxic and have fewer side effects than other drug products, the researchers said.

The preliminary data suggest green tea extract cream causes fewer side effects than benzoyl peroxide treatment. Patients in the green tea group reported fewer cases of dry skin, itching and allergic responses...
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
i dont know if this will help, but i had really fantastic skin when i used to live in japan but started breaking out like CRAZY after moving to the states. i used to drink green tea several times a day and hadn't been drinking it much since moving to california... but now that i'm drinking it regularly again, i don't break out much any more.. i've never used it topically, but i wouldn't be surprised if it actually is really good for acne.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
amami aya wrote:
i dont know if this will help, but i had really fantastic skin when i used to live in japan but started breaking out like CRAZY after moving to the states. i used to drink green tea several times a day and hadn't been drinking it much since moving to california... but now that i'm drinking it regularly again, i don't break out much any more.. i've never used it topically, but i wouldn't be surprised if it actually is really good for acne.

This makes sense actually. Green tea has lots of antioxidants as well. I drink green tea fairly regularly and my skin is usually really clear, so maybe green tea is contributing?

While we're on the subject of food that is good for the skin, I have to mention oatmeal. I think eating oatmeal for breakfast makes a big difference in my skin, and I do feel a slight difference when I go a while without oatmeal. I really think oatmeal does work, just don't ask me how...
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
i like oatmeal as well...but i've recently read a post that the glutin contained in wheat is related to the acne formation...
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 12:51 am      Reply with quote
I don't think you can deduce from the study that using green tea in loose leaf form will have the same effects as using green tea extract which most likely contains polyphenols in very concentrated form. When these compounds are isolated they do have a lot of positive effects on the skin. If you make a very strong green tea the most likely effect it could have is astringency.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I suspect this is true, that tea bag is not the same as "extract cream". I wish there was more info!

miranets wrote:
I don't think you can deduce from the study that using green tea in loose leaf form will have the same effects as using green tea extract which most likely contains polyphenols in very concentrated form. When these compounds are isolated they do have a lot of positive effects on the skin. If you make a very strong green tea the most likely effect it could have is astringency.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
what's the use of polyphenols?
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I just know that green tea is used in many antioxident products, so I guess it is for antioxident rather than acne.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
what's the use of polyphenols?

in skincare, it is a strong antioxidant, but the one function that it has which attracts me to using it is its ability to calm the skin.

Quote:
I just know that green tea is used in many antioxident products, so I guess it is for antioxident rather than acne.

drinking it in loose leaf form is great for antioxidant effects, the body can metabolise the compounds, but i have not seen anything to suggest using the solution of green tea from a brew will have the same effects. keep in mind most studies which show that green tea has a benefit does use a solution which contain isolated compounds.
buybuybest
5% products discount

Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
green tea for acne, no, but tea tree oil, yes. It works sooo good for me.
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I was using Topix Replenix, which contains green tea polyphenols (ECGC the best part of the green tea) amongst other ingredients

This product is great for acne, sensitive,oily/combination and noraml skin.

It worked well for the minor acne i had. I dont use this anymore becuase i found it to be too expensive and it didnt last very long. Aslo my skin condition has improved greatly so i have switched.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm drinking about 3 cups of green tea a day now. Smile

Can't hurt!
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 am      Reply with quote
i hv see the magazine and it introduce to use the green tea as facial mist...
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Well I've been toning with green tea after cleansing twice a day and it feels really good. My acne has cleared right up but, honestly, I don't think that the green tea alone helped. I stopped using liquid sunscreen/moisturizer on my forehead (just emu oil and mineral makeup) and started using my DermaWand faithfully everyday (that thing really works!). So, I think the combination of everything made me, now, pimple free! Yipee!! Dancing
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
Well I've been toning with green tea after cleansing twice a day and it feels really good. My acne has cleared right up but, honestly, I don't think that the green tea alone helped. I stopped using liquid sunscreen/moisturizer on my forehead (just emu oil and mineral makeup) and started using my DermaWand faithfully everyday (that thing really works!). So, I think the combination of everything made me, now, pimple free! Yipee!! Dancing

sorry but what is derma wand?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:

also what brand of mineral makeup u use. I also have acne problem and cant apply anything on skin but looking for something to cover up a bit of my acne as for daily use that wont aggravate my acne as i go to office and its embarrassing going all scar face Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ritas...

First off, regarding the DermaWand:
www.dermawand.com

And here's a thread for a very long discussion of it:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18205

Simply put, though, it's a device that provides oxygen to your skin, brightening your complexion. I find it helps control bacteria too and it works great for "zapping" and drying out acne. I use it if I have to do an extraction...I zap it immediately after and it's gone within a day or two. I know it helps. Some women even claim that it helps "lift" their skin, so it serves as an anti-aging tool as well.

As for the mineral makeup, I currently use Youngblood mineral foundation but am searching for a more natural bismuth-free one. So, I'm waiting for samples of the Lauress brand and UGloGirl cosmetics. They both have gotten great reviews.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 am      Reply with quote
yes, tea tree oil is an ingredients in many acne product. Body Shop does have one tea tree oil product to tackle acne.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |