Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Confusion about Retin-A and thinner skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Kitteny
5% products discount

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Hello All! I would so appreciate the advice of you wonderful ladies regarding retinoids.

I have very dry + fair skin that is just beginning to show fine lines under my eyes. I want to use the mildest form of Retin A, but could use some advice on how often to apply. I was thinking every two or three days would be enough for me.

I've also read on the forums in several places that it isn't advised to use a moisturizer at the same time, but is that the case for extremely dry skin also? If I did follow it with a gentle oil or moisturizer after it has absorbed, would that knock the good out of it?

Thanks for your help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 am      Reply with quote
If you're looking for a retinoid product specifically for the eyes, why don't you consider Avene's Eluage gel or cream? It has hyaluronic acid fragments which help to buffer against the drying effects. The active compound is retinaldehyde which gets converted in the skin to tretinoin (the same active in retin-A). Can be purchased online atwww.tubotica.com,www.frenchcosmeticsforless.com,www.leguidesante.com.

It's more effective if you don't apply a moisturizer after it (applies for retin-a as well as Eluage) but if you need to, you can apply moisturizer one hour after applying the retinoid.

Starting off, you can use alternate nights or one night in three but the results would be slower. If using retin-A though, it is probably better to start off with alternate nights at least for the first 2 or three weeks.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Kitteny wrote:
Hello All! I would so appreciate the advice of you wonderful ladies regarding retinoids.

I have very dry + fair skin that is just beginning to show fine lines under my eyes. I want to use the mildest form of Retin A, but could use some advice on how often to apply. I was thinking every two or three days would be enough for me.

I've also read on the forums in several places that it isn't advised to use a moisturizer at the same time, but is that the case for extremely dry skin also? If I did follow it with a gentle oil or moisturizer after it has absorbed, would that knock the good out of it?

Thanks for your help.

I use Retin=-A under my eyes and put a light layer of moisturizer under my eyes first - allow it to penetrate about 5 minutes or so and put the retin-a over it!!!!!
Kitteny
5% products discount

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you "sister sweets", that is just what I will try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
When I was 19 I was treating my acne using retin a micro and using it all over my face. Within a few months I could see deep lines developing around my eyes. It was totally one of the worst thing I've ever done to my skin! I feel like acids/retinos/peels can totally be a double edged sword on younger skin.

I remember reading on a skincare forum a few years ago about a gal who said she said reversed the thinning skin effect from abusing peels by using EGF from skinactives.
Kitteny
5% products discount

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Using the moisturizer like sister sweets recommended made all the difference to my very dry skin these past several nights.

I know that it might reduce the strength of the retin a, but I'm willing to take that chance, and still hope for some benefit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I sometimes mix my Retin-A micro gel with a bit of homemade facial oil blend. I don't mind that it slightly dilutes the Retin-A -- it makes it go farther, and it irritates my skin less and helps reduce flakiness.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
patzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Septembergirl, this is a great thread!...

While I was at PubMed, looking at the link you provided above, I started browsing around and came across information comparing Tazarotene 0.1% versus Retin-A 0.5% for photodamaged skin.

It seems, if I understand it correctly, that the Tazarotene offers superior results, and one of the side bar 'related' articles, goes so far as to say it thickens the stratum corneum by 70%.

Here's the link. Also check out the 'related topic' links;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15203997?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't recall seeing any topics here about Tazarotene, but it definitely sounds interesting. Or maybe I've just missed it.. Rolling Eyes

ETA: Is Tazarotene in any relation to Tazorac?

Thanks for kindly posting the link to Tazarotene studies. One question is that I can't locate the article that states Tazarotene builds up the stratum corneum by 70%.
Any Googling I've done says it thins the skin. If you have a moment could you give me the heading of the particular article? (maybe my brain was overcome with all the info and clinical studies jargon. Smile

BTW All I found this info: Extensive studies have been done of Retin-A and Renova, and the results, as in this study, indicate a statistical benefit in terms of improving fine wrinkling, irregular pigmentation and coarse texture.

It is unrealistic to expect dramatic changes, however. The improvement is usually relatively subtle, but noticeable in the double-blind studies that have been conducted.

Link:
http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/womens/womens_3_03.html

You'll find the above statement in the second column of the article.

I was ready to order Green Cream today, thinking the retinol would just speed up skin turn over..but the thinning info. made me hesitate.

Anyone here with fair thin skin have experience with Retin A or tazarotene???
I was really excited about using Retin A, but now I'm not sure. Crying or Very sad
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Patzy, from the article you linked to it says:

Retinoids work by sloughing off the dead outer layers of the skin, exposing the skin underneath and promoting the growth of collagen, which thickens the skin fibers that preserve moisture. By removing dead surface cells that become harder to shed as we age, and by thinning and flattening the outer layer of skin, retinoids give skin that much-valued “rosy glow.”

Retin A thins the Outer layer, but it thickens the inner layer, which is what you want for aging skin.
lisacollins00
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
patzy wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

While I was at PubMed, looking at the link you provided above, I started browsing around and came across information comparing Tazarotene 0.1% versus Retin-A 0.5% for photodamaged skin.

It seems, if I understand it correctly, that the Tazarotene offers superior results, and one of the side bar 'related' articles, goes so far as to say it thickens the stratum corneum by 70%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15203997?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't recall seeing any topics here about Tazarotene, but it definitely sounds interesting. Or maybe I've just missed it.. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for kindly posting the link to Tazarotene studies. One question is that I can't locate the article that states Tazarotene builds up the stratum corneum by 70%.
Any Googling I've done says it thins the skin. If you have a moment could you give me the heading of the particular article? (maybe my brain was overcome with all the info and clinical studies jargon. Smile

BTW All I found this info: Extensive studies have been done of Retin-A and Renova, and the results, as in this study, indicate a statistical benefit in terms of improving fine wrinkling, irregular pigmentation and coarse texture.

It is unrealistic to expect dramatic changes, however. The improvement is usually relatively subtle, but noticeable in the double-blind studies that have been conducted.

Link:
http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/womens/womens_3_03.html

You'll find the above statement in the second column of the article.

I was ready to order Green Cream today, thinking the retinol would just speed up skin turn over..but the thinning info. made me hesitate.

Anyone here with fair thin skin have experience with Retin A or tazarotene???
I was really excited about using Retin A, but now I'm not sure. Crying or Very sad

I have not seen a study about Tazorene thickening the stratum corneum, but there is a study that shows that topical Isotretinoin thickens the stratum corneum.

Here is that study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16724545
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
patzy wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Any Googling I've done says it thins the skin.

Here is a link to a meta-analysis of the clinical studies done on Tazarotene. I didn't notice any mention of thickening of the Stratum Corneum either.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2544371/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Retinoids are proven to reverse the signs of aging more than any other topical. Like rileygirl said, they thin the outer layer but thicken the dermis and increase collagen and improve elastin. By the way they can be quite drying which can cause temporary dehydration lines which will go away with continued use or can be rectified by adding a moisturizer to your regimen. Personally I use Tazorac, wait 30 minutes, and then add a moisturizer on top.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't find the study mentioning an increase in the stratum corneum either. However, I did find this info saying tazarotene (which is the generic name for Tazorac) compacted the stratum corneum:

Quote:
Compared with vehicle, tazarotene was associated with an increase in epidermal polarity (P = 0.008) and epidermal thickness (P = 0.012), and a tendency for stratum corneum compaction. Tazarotene was also associated with widened intercellular spaces (reported as epidermal oedema) relative to vehicle (P < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: Treatment of photodamaged skin with tazarotene is associated with an amelioration of keratinocytic and melanocytic atypia, an improvement in epidermal polarity, and an increase in epidermal thickness.

Also make note of the mentioned 'increase in epidermal thickness'.

On a final note - my derms have always said that Tazorac is 'stronger' than Retin A. I took this to mean it would work better helping my acne and with the anti-aging stuff. I have used Tazorac for a long time (15 years on and off) and just recently switched to Retin A Micro.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
lisacollins00 wrote:
I have not seen a study about Tazorene thickening the stratum corneum, but there is a study that shows that topical Isotretinoin thickens the stratum corneum.

Here is that study.

That's a pretty cool find, lisacollins. I wonder when a topical version of isotretinoin will be around? It looks like the isotretinoin is less irritating that the tretinoin from what I could read.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
lisacollins00 wrote:

Here is that study.

That's a pretty cool find, lisacollins. I wonder when a topical version of isotretinoin will be around? It looks like the isotretinoin is less irritating that the tretinoin from what I could read.

There is a topical version of isotretinoin called Isotrex. Here is one place that sells it.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/skin-care/isotrex.html
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:06 am      Reply with quote
i am so glad I found this thread. I recently learned that the skin starts out with a thin epidermis and thick dermis. But as we age the reverse becomes true. The idea with retinoids is to restore that earlier state - thin epidermis, thick dermis. But I am fearful of actually using retin-a because my skin has been thinned so severely by steroid injections for pain. Any further thinning would be disastrous. I guess I might try it on one small patch of skin and wait to see what happens. Earlier in the thread several people mentioned niacinamide as a proven skin thickener. Did they mean in vitamin form or as a topical agent?
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:25 am      Reply with quote
i am useing skinceutical rentin A 0.5right now, and i do not know what is the matter ,it caused my pimple again. so bad
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 am      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
Did they mean in vitamin form or as a topical agent?

As a topical, alexes. You can check out NIA24 - go to their website and you can read about it.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I think its a great idea to use niacinamide or NIA 24 with a retinoid. Thats what I did when my skin was going through a very fragile phase. You could use the NIA 24 under the retinoid and then when u get used to it you can eventually place the retinoid underneath. NIA 24 does prevent the thinning of the outer epidermis, NIA 24 conducted a study about this, it is on their website. In short, NIA helps the patient tolerate retinoids.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |