Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
retin-a rx: generic or brand?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed a difference in quality using the generic form of retin-a? I've been using the generic 3xs weekly for about a month--not sure if it is doing anything, but this might be my imagination.

any opinions would be appreciated, as always!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
mrspiggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
I tried both, no difference to what I find.

Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with mrspiggy, I've also tried both and found no difference.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 am      Reply with quote
It usually takes a few months to see visable results with Retin-A products. they usually say 6 months but some people see results sooner than that. Stick with it, it's worth it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 am      Reply with quote
There should be no difference between a generic drug and a brand name one. A brand name drug is usually more expensive because they have paid for the R & D and own the patent. After a certain amount of time the patent expires which allows other companies to manufacture that drug using exactly the same ingredients.

I use a generic form of Tretinoin and IMO it's fine.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I prefer generic, coz it is cheaper and have the same effect as brand.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered some tubes of generic tretinoin. They were $2 each! The price is almost to good to be true, but I can only hope they will be effective as I am not able to get hold of "the real thing".

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I just ordered some tubes of generic tretinoin. They were $2 each! The price is almost to good to be true, but I can only hope they will be effective as I am not able to get hold of "the real thing".

Where did you find it for $2.00?!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 am      Reply with quote
I ordered from [url]alldaychemist.com[/url]. I believe the company is located in India (if I remember correctly). It will probably still take a week or two before the package arrives. I saw on another thread that someone recommended this company.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 am      Reply with quote
That is so cheap - just shows you what a racket the pharmaceuticals industry is.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I ordered from [url]alldaychemist.com[/url]. I believe the company is located in India (if I remember correctly). It will probably still take a week or two before the package arrives. I saw on another thread that someone recommended this company.

Septembergirl, how much was the shipment to Norway?
and would you please update your experience with this company and the product when you`ll receive it?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 am      Reply with quote
I use the generic because I can afford it but I just read this article a few days ago. Thought ya'll might find it interesting.It says the brand name has a better delivery system. Wondering if I should switch but don't like paying sooo much. Neutral

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I have been posting the above article from NY Times in a couple of threads here lately, but please share, it's an interesting read.

Quote from the article:
Brand name prescription versions contain emollient moisturizers and have more advanced delivery systems for getting the active ingredients into the skin. These additions are the main difference between generic Retin-A and the pricier brand-name versions (a large tube of a brand name will run about $150 versus about $80 for a generic).

Aiva - shipping to Norway was about $25 for six tubes (20 grams each). I promise to report back about my experience with alldaychemist. If you don't hear from me again, I have probably been killed by the delivery system in the generic cream. Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I have been posting the above article from NY Times in a couple of threads here lately, but please share, it's an interesting read.

Quote from the article:
Brand name prescription versions contain emollient moisturizers and have more advanced delivery systems for getting the active ingredients into the skin. These additions are the main difference between generic Retin-A and the pricier brand-name versions (a large tube of a brand name will run about $150 versus about $80 for a generic).

Aiva - shipping to Norway was about $25 for six tubes (20 grams each). I promise to report back about my experience with alldaychemist. If you don't hear from me again, I have probably been killed by the delivery system in the generic cream. Shock

you`ll survive, I`m sure!! you`re so funny! Laughing
thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, thank you for providing your info...I love money saving Very Happy
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Oppsss, i forgot something to ask..When I check the website, it only has Retin A gel type for 0.025g. Can i use gel retin A?? How it is different from cream type?? I don't want to be extreme (scared to use higher dose)
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:59 am      Reply with quote
azumma wrote:
Oppsss, i forgot something to ask..When I check the website, it only has Retin A gel type for 0.025g. Can i use gel retin A?? How it is different from cream type?? I don't want to be extreme (scared to use higher dose)

I bought three of the tubes you mention and three tubes of 0.050 strength. I have normal skin with some dryness and have no idea if the gel type will be suitable for my skin. I am sorry I cannot end this post with "HTH".

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I've tried both and haven't noticed a difference. Retin-A takes at least a month for results, so you might just need to wait longer.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I do have a dilemma.

I have been using a generic brand of 0.025 tretinoin gel from the online pharmacywww.alldaychemist.com on my chest for a week now. It does not sting, neither does it cause flaking or redness. The gel is white with a faint smell. I had expected some reactions on my skin, but nothing happens.

The tubes were only a couple of $ each.

My question is: Does it work? It's said on the package that you need to wait at least three months to see results. My dilemma is that I don't want to use it for many months, not knowing if this really is a genuine tretinoin product.

Any input will be highly appreciated. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 am      Reply with quote
i have been using the same tretonin 1% from ADC or however you spell it lol

it works fine for me exactly the same as the branded one the only difference is the texture the branded is better as it leaves to a powder dry finish whereas the generic is oily and takes a while to sink in without it feeling tacky on the skin

spetembergirl im guessing that % you are using is maybe to weak for your chest i peeled on the 3rd day of using the 1%
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I use a generic tretinoin 0.1% purchased from Medsmex. It works fine - I do get peeling but I have never experienced any stinging or redness. In my experience Retin-A is nowhere near as irritating as AHAs. Maybe you could step up to 0.05% or 0.1%.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I do have a dilemma.

I have been using a generic brand of 0.025 tretinoin gel from the online pharmacywww.alldaychemist.com on my chest for a week now. It does not sting, neither does it cause flaking or redness. The gel is white with a faint smell. I had expected some reactions on my skin, but nothing happens.

The tubes were only a couple of $ each.

My question is: Does it work? It's said on the package that you need to wait at least three months to see results. My dilemma is that I don't want to use it for many months, not knowing if this really is a genuine tretinoin product.

Any input will be highly appreciated. Smile

I also use the 0.025% gel from ADC, about 1-2/wk. I buffer with moisturiser first and still get red and flaky the next day, so I'm pretty sure it's doing something. My son is using the 0.1% gel and it's definitely helping with his acne.

It sounds like the 0.025 is too mild for you and you could move up to a stronger dosage.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks, ladies.
I feel more reassured that the product is ok now. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Would those of you who patrinize http://www.alldaychemist.com please tell me which manner of payment you advise? Have any used the 'Pay by Check' option rather than CC? I have no idea what's the safest (if there is such a thing.. Shock )

Also, do they require a prescription at this site for the Retin-A knock off?

Thanks a bunch!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Would those of you who patrinize http://www.alldaychemist.com please tell me which manner of payment you advise? Have any used the 'Pay by Check' option rather than CC? I have no idea what's the safest (if there is such a thing.. Shock )

Also, do they require a prescription at this site for the Retin-A knock off?

Thanks a bunch!

I used my visa card without any problems. You don't need a prescription. HTH. Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |