Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

pre-menstruation syndrome
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
i always have the problem of "pre-menstruation syndrome": look puffy and oedema over both legs, tired and hunger for food especially the carbonhydrates, look dull and redness over my face~ it lasts 1 to 2 weeks and quite sevious and unmanageable...i know it is because of the hormonal change but i really hate these...does anyone have similar problem and how to relief such "symptoms"?
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I have bad temper and get tired easily. For me, I didn't do anything to deal with it, coz i think it can be avioded
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:52 am      Reply with quote
There are some studies showing that Omega 3 supplements are beneficial to avoid PMS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I recommend EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids in the proper ratio - I take Health from the Sun's Total EFA) and transdermal magnesium. I don't know if they'll clear up your skin issues but they will help with many negative symptoms of PMS and MS.

You can find more info about transdermal magnesium online (important as it bypasses the digestive tract where most magnesium is lost). Video on transdermal use of magnesium:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxZ_azNySU

Two places I know of that sell a magnesium lotion or gel:
Dr. Norm Shealy
(Magnesium Lotion - 8oz. $12.50; 16oz. $22) www.selfhealthsystems.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
Health and Wisdom, Inc.
http://www.health-and-wisdom.com/magnesium.htm

Or you could get the magnesium transdermally via epsom salt baths.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:37 am      Reply with quote
any side effect about the transdermal magnesium? in fact, is there any thing from the natural that can be tried? i dont like any medication...
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Can you be a little more specific? What is your age? Are you suffering from dry skin or oily, any hair thinning or loss, do your breasts get swollen and tender about a week before your period, any menstrual or post menstrual headaches, weight problems particularly in the abdomen area, mood swings, skin problems, low libido, etc.

Answering these questions can indicate whether you are suffering from a lack of progesterone, excessive estradiol (estrogen dominance), adrenal fatigue, cortisol, testosterone deficiency or dominance. Depending on what your imbalance is the following can be helpful:

Evening Primrose
Natural progesterone cream
EFA's
Vitamin D
B Vitamins (all of the B's are important)
Calcium D - Glucarate
DIM (Phytonutrient)-Found in cruciferous vegetables like; broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower & kale
Vitamin E
Magnesium
DHEA
Dong Quai
Black Cohosh
Vitex (Chaste Berry)

If the PMS is really negatively effecting your life or seems to be getting progressively worse, I would seek a doctor that specializes is female hormones - These problems can be easily resolved often times with just diet, vitamin & herb supplementation - if not then bio identical hormones are a great option and unlike the synthetic HRT they are very natural & safe.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
any side effect about the transdermal magnesium? in fact, is there any thing from the natural that can be tried? i dont like any medication...

What is not natural about epsom salts? Watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxZ_azNySU
The minerals come from the sea. Taking in the nutrients through the skin (transdermally) is recommended because the magnesium if taken via mouth - much gets destroyed in the digestive process.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Avoiding red meat, sugar, caffeine, fried foods, salty foods two weeks before your period can help lots with PMS. If you are cramping calcium/magnesium tablets will help with the pain as these minerals help with muscle contractions.

Also I have a roll-on blend of geranium and clary sage that helps with the pain and mood. You can find one atwww.escentsaromatherapy.com that works great.

Edited to fix link.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
Also I have a roll-on blend of geranium and clary sage that helps with the pain and mood. You can find one atwww.escents.com that works great.

Hi Sakura, I love aromatherapy but tried this link and it didn't work. Can you help? Is this the website?:
http://www.escentsaromatherapy.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
sakura wrote:
Also I have a roll-on blend of geranium and clary sage that helps with the pain and mood. You can find one atwww.escents.com that works great.

Hi Sakura, I love aromatherapy but tried this link and it didn't work. Can you help? Is this the website?:
http://www.escentsaromatherapy.com/

Sorry, yes that is the site. I think the other one is .ca and is the Canadian link but they ship international.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Have you discussed with your dr? Maybe you have your hormones tested and then determine the best course of action to take.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
For some reason its not on the Escents site no more. I used my old roll on and added some jojoba oil and 20 drops each of geranium and clary sage.

Otherwise, try this onewww.saje.ca. I dont like this place as much cos they dont list ingredients or have photos unless you see it in person but they have two roll ons depending on how heavy your periods are. I do like their stuff though.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Since I have turned 40 I have similar symptoms when I ovulate as well as when I'm about to have my period...it's very annoying...especially the hunger...does anything help keep the hormonal cravings at bay???

Lou
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Again, look into transdermal magnesium. Often cravings for chocolate can be satisfied by that. Chocolate is a natural source of many minerals (thus, being used in some Karin Herzog products).

Also, you might look into natural progesterone cream and when best to use it to help stabilize your hormonal levels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Again, look into transdermal magnesium. Often cravings for chocolate can be satisfied by that. Chocolate is a natural source of many minerals (thus, being used in some Karin Herzog products).

Also, you might look into natural progesterone cream and when best to use it to help stabilize your hormonal levels.

thanks I will look into the progestrone..my mood swings are really bad especially during ovulation..I don't have chocolate cravings just hungry all the time and can never get full..

Lou
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Essential Fatty Acids like mentioned above should also help soften any mood swings.

Maybe have your hormone levels checked by your doctor and see if s/he will prescribe progesterone cream (just make sure you don't get the bioidentical stuff and not the stuff made from horse urine! please!).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
i always have the problem of "pre-menstruation syndrome": look puffy and oedema over both legs, tired and hunger for food especially the carbonhydrates, look dull and redness over my face~ it lasts 1 to 2 weeks and quite sevious and unmanageable...i know it is because of the hormonal change but i really hate these...does anyone have similar problem and how to relief such "symptoms"?

I have same problem. In addition to all above symptoms my hairs also feel very oily and I feel that I dont look good during those days Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
lunarmm wrote:

thanks I will look into the progestrone..my mood swings are really bad especially during ovulation..I don't have chocolate cravings just hungry all the time and can never get full..

Lou

Have you checked if you have candida? Breakouts, mood swings, hunger that is never satisfied could be candida.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
i'm 28 with oily skin, the breasts get swollen and tender but it is acceptable i think, always feel very tired and sometime hv light headache, the problem i concern the most is craving for food and also weight gain(may mainly owning to fluid retention)...i think it is normal that the progesterone is at lower level before and at the ovulation period...so i prefer to other methods that can relief those symptomS rather then progesterone supplement...in fact,how does the magnesium function in relieving those symptoms? also i think via oral intake the magnesium would be absorbed rather then destroyed?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
in fact,how does the magnesium function in relieving those symptoms? also i think via oral intake the magnesium would be absorbed rather then destroyed?

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, an important mineral needed by every cell of your body. It is needed more during certain parts of a woman's cycle. If you don't have enough in your system, it can lead to many symptoms such as menstrual cramping, etc.

See the following webpage about PMS and the importance of magnesium and B6:
http://www.doctoryourself.com/pms.html

Regarding the malabsorption of magnesium in the digestive tract (via oral intake), read:
Intravenous, Transdermal, and Oral Magnesium Mineral Therapy
http://www.magnesiumforlife.com/mineraltherapy.shtml

Quote:
Magnesium is poorly absorbed orally. ... Treating magnesium deficiency is the most difficult deficiency to correct. In evolutionary terms, magnesium was abundant in the diet and therefore no good mechanisms to conserve magnesium evolved. It appears to be poorly absorbed and easily excreted even by normal people.

The problem with oral magnesium is that all magnesium compounds are potentially laxative. And there is good evidence that magnesium absorption depends upon the mineral remaining in the intestine at least 12 hours. If intestinal transit time is less than 12 hours, magnesium absorption is impaired, and this is the case when high does of oral magnesium are administered. Thus it is very difficult to administer what would be considered medicinal doses orally.
Magnesium supplementation is actually crucial for everyone today but we have to pay especial attention to the method of supplementation because this is critical in terms of effective body utilization. Magnesium is absorbed primarily in the distal small intestines or colon. Active uptake is required involving various transport systems such as the vitamin D-sensitive transport system. Since magnesium is not passively absorbed it demonstrates saturable absorption resulting in variable bioavailability averaging 35-40% of administered dose even under the best conditions of intestinal health. Magnesium levels in the body, presence of calcium, phosphate, phytate and protein can affect rate of absorption. These and other conditions make oral magnesium supplements intake chancy and inefficient compared to the new transdermal magnesium chloride mineral therapy that this book introduces.
Transdermal application of magnesium is far superior to oral supplements and is in reality the best practical way magnesium can be used as a medicine besides by direct injection. Used transdermally or intravenously we have a potent natural substance that penetrates the cells with stunning result on cell biochemistry. Healing, overall energy production (ATP), skin integrity, cardiac health, diabetes prevention, pain management, calming effect on the nervous system, sleep improvement, lowering of blood pressure are among the general uses magnesium chloride can be put to. The studies coming out every day provide more evidence of the need to supply adequate magnesium to people of all ages, and in a form that will be easily absorbed.
In summary, magnesium is a safe and simple intervention and should be the first thing doctors recommend to their patients. Transdermal mineral therapy with magnesium chloride is the most powerful, relatively safe medical intervention we have to care for many of our patients needs. With the simple application of an oily solution on the skin or used in baths we can easily have our patients take up their magnesium to healthier levels. With patients who are deficient in magnesium (the great majority of patients are magnesium deficient) expect dramatic improvements in a broad range of conditions.

Conditions linked to magnesium deficiency:
http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html
http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=541
Magnesium deficiency more common in women:
http://www.ctds.info/magnesium-deficiency.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Maybe have your hormone levels checked by your doctor and see if s/he will prescribe progesterone cream (just make sure you don't get the bioidentical stuff and not the stuff made from horse urine! please!).

Sorry, that was a TYPO. Just make sure you GET the bioidentical stuff NOT the stuff made from horse urine! Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
i'm 28 with oily skin, the breasts get swollen and tender but it is acceptable i think, always feel very tired and sometime hv light headache, the problem i concern the most is craving for food and also weight gain(may mainly owning to fluid retention)...i think it is normal that the progesterone is at lower level before and at the ovulation period...so i prefer to other methods that can relief those symptomS rather then progesterone supplement...in fact,how does the magnesium function in relieving those symptoms? also i think via oral intake the magnesium would be absorbed rather then destroyed?

Masaholly - I am exactly like you!! I am also 28 and more recently (within the last 5 periods) I have been the worst - I am angry/weepy (sometimes I cry at commercials), feel like I am never full and I crave everything and anything, have noticed abnormal weight gain in my abdominal area, and can easily retain enough fluid to put me about 10 lbs over my normal weight. It was horrible! I am at risk for endometriosis (based on my family genetics) and have horrible cramps.

I agree with what a lot of the ladies are writing here mainly becuase I was so sick of it that I recently went to a naturopath to see if there was something else wrong. I should also note that I take birth control. In short she told me that I am estrogen-positive based on my probability of having endometriosis and I am also taking birth control which loads up my body with lots of hormones and my liver is having problems getting rid of them, which is why I have seen a noticable increase in PMS. She gave me milk thistle to help with liver function and magnesium for the cramps. I just finished my first period after two weeks of taking these pills and I have to say I am a believer. No cramps, no cravings, no crying or moodiness. I still bloated a little but not as extreme as before.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
sorry...what is milk thistle? i will try the megnesium supplement and hope it help~
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
sorry...what is milk thistle? i will try the megnesium supplement and hope it help~

Milk thistle is an herb that is good for cleansing the liver. The liver processes everything, including the hormones in your body.

Try to get transdermal magnesium if you can! or use epsom salt baths...

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
Since I have turned 40 I have similar symptoms when I ovulate as well as when I'm about to have my period...it's very annoying...especially the hunger...does anything help keep the hormonal cravings at bay???

Lou

Same thing here. Once I hit my forties, all the "bad stuff" happens when I ovulate. I feel fabulous once I actually get my period.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |