Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Double Cleansing too drying for the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed many of u here cleanse with a cleansing oil and then again with a foaming cleanser especially those that wear heavy makeup or ss. I personally find that even the use of a cleansing oil is drying not to mention an additional cleanse with a foaming cleanser. But it would be hard to remove the ss especially if this is not followed... And cuz of this, I avoid using the higher SPF ss in fear of the removal which I know it's bad. What to do?? Sad
AJ76

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Stardustdy,

I'm a Make up Artist and I often recommend that my clients do a double cleanse as part of their skincare routine.

The first cleanser (usually with an oil cleanser but can be another type) is to remove the make up. The second cleanser is to clean your skin. By doing this you'll break out less and notice less make up residue left over on cotton pads if you use toners. The most important thing when doing a double cleanse is knowing exactly what your skin type is and how you like your cleanser to feel.

If a client has a dry skin type or does not like foaming cleanser as they feel that they are to stripping then I recommend a Lotion Cleanser. Lotion cleansers will not foam up but will gently and effectively cleanse the skin without leaving that tight or dry feeling.

I hope that helps Wink
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi! To add to the above, the 302 skincare line suggests only cleansing 1x per day (I do my cleanse with soap in the evening to take my make-up and sunscreen off).

In the mornings I wet a facecloth with hot water, lay that over my face till it cools a bit and then wipe my face...as suggested by 302 and it works great! I was surprised how nicley my skin responded to this as at first I was sceptical with my acne that only cleansing 1x per day would work.

Cleansing in this manner may help your situation too? Just thought you might have better luck being able to take your sunscreen and make-up off in the evening if you changed the way you cleansed in the morning as well.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
To chime in, I don't think it's necessary to do a double cleanse with two different cleansers -- you can double-cleanse with the same substance, or some combination of two cleansers -- the second one need not be foaming!

I personally like to cleanse with an oil (that I make myself, NOT a store-bought cleansing oil! Those are much more drying!) and get my makeup off, just using my fingers. Then, I'll cleanse again with the same oil, but this time using a washcloth to gently exfoliate now that all the makeup is off.

This is if I'm not using my Clarisonic, of course. My rituals with that are a little different, but I still take off my makeup with a creamy or oily cleanser, and then do the Clarisonic once skin is makeup-free for a deeper cleanse.

Just out of curiosity, what cleansing oil are you using that makes your skin feel dried out? (Many commercial cleansing oils are actually not oils, but washes that happen to feel oily. I wonder if the formulation you're using is just too harsh for your skin?)

Hope this helps!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
Hi! To add to the above, the 302 skincare line suggests only cleansing 1x per day (I do my cleanse with soap in the evening to take my make-up and sunscreen off).

In the mornings I wet a facecloth with hot water, lay that over my face till it cools a bit and then wipe my face...as suggested by 302 and it works great! I was surprised how nicley my skin responded to this as at first I was sceptical with my acne that only cleansing 1x per day would work.

Cleansing in this manner may help your situation too? Just thought you might have better luck being able to take your sunscreen and make-up off in the evening if you changed the way you cleansed in the morning as well.

I have had great results with this as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
I sometimes just do hot water as well, in the morning when I know my face is relatively clear. Smile Especially good during extra-sensitive bouts.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I really like using Ponds cream to remove makeup. I doubt that Ponds cream dries out the skin. My face is plenty soft after using it. As for cleansing, I like the cream cleanser by Dr.Hauschka. I know that if i take a hot shower my skin will be lizard like dry. But after using the cleansing cream, my face is soft again. Hot showers are bad I know but it feels oh so good. Plus, it does remove my makeup sufficiently.

I just bought this antibacterial tea tree soap by Thursday's Plantation. It is very soft and silky. In no way is it drying. It is like I am washing my face with soft pillows. And yet, my face is still clean. YAY PILLOWS!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for all the posts!

I tried Fancl Cleansing Oil before and it's quite drying after I washed it off. I didn't follow with another cleanser as I'm already dry.

Last nite, I tried Clinique take the day off cleansing balm and it seems to remove my silicone based Vichy ss (water resistent) off just fine. I don't feel it's that drying just a bit but it's bearable. After that, I steamed my face witha hot towel and then exfoliated with it. Then I followed with a toner & moisturizer and that seems to work for now. I hope I don't have any problems with it later on.

I sometimes wonder if it's really necessary to do a 2nd cleanse again if the 1st cleanse seems to remove everything already? Cuz usually my face is a bit dry already after the 1st cleanse...
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I've only tried a few of the Japanese cleansing oils, and found them all too drying for me. But my oily-combo daughter loves them.

I think using the Clarisonic seems to get all my sunscreen off pretty effectively in one pass. But, I don't use heavy makeup, so those that do might need a heavier duty cleanser.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
I've only tried a few of the Japanese cleansing oils, and found them all too drying for me. But my oily-combo daughter loves them.

I think using the Clarisonic seems to get all my sunscreen off pretty effectively in one pass. But, I don't use heavy makeup, so those that do might need a heavier duty cleanser.

Which clarisonic product r u using? There're so many and I'm confused! Thanks! Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I make my own cleansing oil now so I choose oils that suit my skin and dont dry it out. I just got an emulsifier to add to it so I dont need to use another cleaner after. But I was using cetaphil after, a foaming cleanser would be too drying for me.
AJ76

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy,

only you can decide what your skin needs. Try different things.

I used to think that just cleansing once is enough and then I bought a Clarasonic brush and when you do your second cleansing with it, you DEFINITELY see how much make up, dirt and everything else is left behind after we "think" our skin is clean. You'd be surprised how much we don't remove with that first cleansing, regardless of how our skin feels we can not see under the surface of the skin.

I also believe that making your own products might be helpful to you as you can tailor them to yourselves, so making an oil cleanser ( maybe Girlie Girl could post her recipe for you Wink ) and/or regular cleanser could help solve things for you.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
hhm can somebody tell me which clarisonic products to use? I just thought as long as the cotton pad wiped clean with toner, then my skin is clean too? Embarassed
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
hhm can somebody tell me which clarisonic products to use? I just thought as long as the cotton pad wiped clean with toner, then my skin is clean too? Embarassed

Ewww, it totally is nuts when you buy a clarisonic brush and you double cleanse with it. It's insane how much makeup really does come off!!! I used to only wash my face once. I can't imagine my life without the clarisonic brush really.

I have fair, combo, sensitive skin, prone to minor breakouts and i use Eucalyptus cleanser by Eminence. I have used many others and this is definitely my favorite cleanser by far for my skin type. I swear by it! Smile I just got it 2 months ago...and haven't been happier with a cleanser!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Stardustdy, do you live in Canada? If you do Holt Renfrew carries the Clarisonic brush. Otherwise I would click on the Contact Us and ask for some advice from them while giving a description of your skin and what you would like the brush to do for you. They'll get back to you and suggest the right product.

I wasn't aware that there were so many products. I think most of are using the brush for the face. It comes with 2 heads. One for normal skin and one for sensitive skin as well as a trial size cleanser.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for the late response, Stardustdy--was out of town briefly.

I use the Clarisonic face brush (currently with the "normal" brushhead.) I wasn't wild about the cleanser it comes with, so I use the PSF cleansing milk with it. As long as the cleanser is non-foamy, it will work fine.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I started double cleansing once DHC was available in the UK. I dont find it drying at all, in fact it seems to get rid of all the flakies at night. However, by morning, they come back again and it makes me want to reach for the cleansing oil to get rid of them cos the peelies makes me look like my face is shedding Embarassed , but I dont want to over-do on the cleansing.
Any girls here use cleansing oils in the morning?
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 am      Reply with quote
i so fear the skin being dirty.

So I remove the makeup by oil and then washing face two times with the washing cream.

Will that hurt my skin???
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:52 am      Reply with quote
evenet wrote:
i so fear the skin being dirty. So I remove the makeup by oil and then washing face two times with the washing cream.

Look into the Clarisonic face brushwww.clarisonic.com or the Pretika "knockoff". Lots of info on both here on EDS - do a search of the forum for more info. One of the best skin care investments you can make, in my opinion.

Before & after: www.clarisonic.com/clarisonic/beforeafter.php

For those who can't afford either the Clarisonic or Pretika, save up and use a microfiber/"microdermabrasion" cloth or sponge in the meantime.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |