Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Help I can't stop biting the skin around my nails!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Ok ladies. I need serious help. I am in my mid-30s and a professional woman who cannot stop biting the skin around her nails! Nail/skin biting has always been a problem for me. Now, I'm too old to have nails and skin that look bitten and sometimes bloody. Any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated!
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:11 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried them but there are products made for this - for instance:
Orly No Bite
http://www.folica.com/Orly_No_Bite_d515.html

Also you can find tips online:
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Biting-Your-Nails

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 am      Reply with quote
Stop Nail biting from Mavala tasted awful. It made me stop biting my nails an cuticles 15 years ago.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I don't bite mine, but I do pick at the skin around my nails and cuticles, sometimes until it bleeds, I have permanent scar tissue now. I don't know why, but a doctor once asked me about my 'self mutiliation' habit. Sad

What helps is if I keep my nails very well groomed, manicured and polished, I am less likely to do it. Also vital is keeping the skin moisturised, it's the dry bits that give me the opening to start picking. The nasty-tasting paint will work for you since your problem is biting, but hopefully my tips will too.

Good luck.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
i too do this....specially when i have my polish on...Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I think I should try out a number of your suggestions at the same time to break my habit. Probably get that nasty tasting cream plus get weekly manicures. If I can keep all the little hangnails and dry cuticles/skin at bay, I'll be half way there.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:50 am      Reply with quote
i am the same way!!! i think it's a nervous tic Sad Sad Sad ill still bite or pick at the skin even if i have polish so i'm really not sure what to do because most of the time it's so unconscious i dont even notice unless i start bleeding Sad
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I am also ashamed to admit that I bite the skin around the nails. This has become a real problem for me in the last couple of years. Because of hormone problems the skin around my nail has become very dry and tough. I do moisturize but not often enough. I should wear gloves when doing dishes etc. probably that would help. I will try some of the remedies mentioned on this thread! Thanks!
Ziggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 am      Reply with quote
mishb wrote:
I don't bite mine, but I do pick at the skin around my nails and cuticles, sometimes until it bleeds, I have permanent scar tissue now. I don't know why, but a doctor once asked me about my 'self mutiliation' habit. Sad

What helps is if I keep my nails very well groomed, manicured and polished, I am less likely to do it. Also vital is keeping the skin moisturised, it's the dry bits that give me the opening to start picking. The nasty-tasting paint will work for you since your problem is biting, but hopefully my tips will too.

Good luck.

I agree with this, it helps for me. Here is some more info about Dermatillomania/skin picking disorder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_picking Apparently cognitive behavioural therapy may work.

Norwegian, 28, brunette, medium/pale skintone, green eyes. Not sensitive skin, bit dry in winter, trying to figure out preventative skincare. Happy with: retin-a cream, emu, LRP Anthelios ss, Careprost. Stopped with CPs. Curious about: Bioderma ss, Renova, gadgets.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I didn't go to the link about dermatillomania /skin picking disorder but I will later.

I do this. More the cuticle area and skin around the nail than the nail. I've done it since I was a kid. I remember my dad yelling at me about it but I "couldn't help myself". It's gotten better since I am older but does return under times of stress. I think it is a nervous habit.

Spiritually, someone told me it's usually done by people who were "picked at" when growing up. If that gives you any insight. It made sense to me re: my life.

In addition to stress reduction, moisturizing so the skin is not dry and the cuticles aren't snagging on things helps as well.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |