Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Crest Pro-Health stains your teeth, here's what they said...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Amazon.com: Crest PRO-HEALTH Rinse - 500 ml: Health & Personal Care

I've never seen reviews like this. 134 Reviews
5 star: 9) 4 star: 5) 3 star: 1) 2 star: 6) 1 star: (113)

Average Customer Review
(134 customer reviews)

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

43 of 44 people found the following review helpful:
Stained Brown ; (, July 8, 2006
By David Case (Flint, MI) - See all my reviews

At the beginning mouthwash was fine. Nice not having the alcohol burn and the breath, that my girlfriend hated. So that was nice.

But after extended use for a month it stained in between my teeth brown. It looked terrible and it cost me a one hundred dollar trip to the dentist to scrape that junk off. The dentist advised that it was my mouthwash after hearing it was this Crest mouthwash that I was using. I was surprised that a mouthwash that is suppose to help clean your teeth actually does the opposite.

Beware: Your better off not using mouthwash if you want clean teeth. Or, use Listerine. Comment (1) | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

28 of 28 people found the following review helpful:
Zero stars from me... , January 1, 2008
By Reader - See all my reviews
This garbage put dingy yellow and brown stains on my teeth, especially near the gums. A dental cleaning failed to get them off. If I had known this mouthwash could cause stains, I would never have used it in the first place. If my next dental cleaning fails to remove the yellow on my teeth, P&G may have a lawsuit on their hands. It's to the point where I don't want to even talk or smile. These Pro Health products should be illegal. Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

32 of 36 people found the following review helpful:
A Better Way to Stain Your Teeth Brown Than Chewing Tobacco, February 9, 2007
By C. Kelleher "cmkelleher" (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews

just joining the chorus - this stuff does not have alcohol in it like Listerine, so it freshens your breath and keeps your mouth germ free for hours. Quite nice, as Listerine leaves alcohol coating (i.e. sugar) in your mouth that then gives you worse breath a few hours after using it as germs love sugar. Crest solves that problem, but adds brown stains after as little as two weeks of use.

If you stop using it, the stains go away in about a month. Your dentist can clean the stains off quickly and effectively and will reassure you the stains are not harmful or permanent. This is little consolation, as who wants brown stained teeth in between dental cleanings?

Bottom line, it amazes me that Crest is trying to market this stuff. The current consumer trend towards unnaturally white teeth is a bit sad, but certainly no one wants brown teeth. Three other people I know who tried this gunk had the same problem, so Crest's bogus claims about "only some people are effected" is pure corporate disinformation. I have no idea why they sell this, why the FDA lets them do it, or why retailers (including Amazon) let them market it to their customers.

Don't buy this, complain to retailers and the Feds, and wait for this and the other Crest Pro Health "innovation" (stannous i.e. staining) fluoride toothpaste to vanish from the market. Crest's marketing team and the whorish dentists they bribed to endorse these products deserve every possible censure. Comments (11) | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

According to the Crest website the brown stains means it's working!

"Teeth discoloration could actually be one indication, in some people, that the product is working: after the rinse kills germs in your mouth, the dead germs can collect on the teeth surface and create the appearance of a brown stain."

Riiiight, so the alcohol using mouthwashes you sold before were ineffective?
LindseyLS1
5% products discount

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
OMG thank you so much for this, I think my boyfriend uses this and ive noticed his teeth are a little not so much lately. Thank you for this post!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
edenfield, that does sound scary and thank you for sharing with us.

So are the other Crest products the same too causing brown stains? For example, their toothpaste or just the mouthwash??

hhm...would you happen to know what's the ingredient in the mouthwash that's causing the stain? Thanks!
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for posting! My son has been using this, Yikes! In the garbage it goes!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Man - I'd be returning it to get my money back! How dare they market a crappy product like that and then even MAKE money?? I'm starting to believe what I've heard -corporations are satan... Mad
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Crest Pro Health is a good product. It is effective what it is marketed for.

Many products and most mouthrinses that kill bacteria have the ability to stain teeth. Unfortuantely it's not somehting they tell you.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
One way to avoid this is to use a power toothbrush. This will lower the bacteria load on the gums and at the gumline (which is where the majority of stain will be found). I use both a power toothbrush and rinses and do not have staining. The stain collects becaseu of what is on the teeth (tarter for example or even low amounts of plaque which contain bacteria).
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your research and for sharing these alarming reviews.

I have never been using mouth wash as I have always heard that you don't need it. My dentist told me that brushing teeth with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day and flossing every day is sufficient to keep mouth healthy. We need some germs and should not disinfect too much.

My friend got a sore inside his mouth and was advised to use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide diluted in water for disinfection. It worked very well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ummm, weird. I have been using them for a couple years now. About 5 times a week. My teeth are really white and I get people that tell me that all the time. I asked my dentist to bleech my teeth and when he did a comparison of how white he could get them, he made mention that he could not get them any whiter than they already are.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Very weird!
Mossa
5% products discount

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for posting this! I began using Crest Pro-Health rinse about 3 months ago. I use the Sonicare toothbrush and floss, but have started to have a problem with staining in between by teeth. I went to my dentist this week and they spent an hour cleaning the stains off my teeth. I have never had this problem before and couldn't figure out what was happening. Mystery solved! I'm going back to Listerine.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Sounds awful! I'll know to stay away now.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I read this and had an A ha moment. I could not figure out what was causing such staining on my teeth. I had my teeth cleaned and a few weeks later they were quite stained. I thought it might be the extra tea I was drinking.

I quit the white tea and still had stains.

Now I know why.

Thanks for this post.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
autumn95 wrote:
I read this and had an A ha moment. I could not figure out what was causing such staining on my teeth. I had my teeth cleaned and a few weeks later they were quite stained. I thought it might be the extra tea I was drinking.

Now I know why.

Thanks for this post.

White tea, and tea in general, can actually prevent staining on teeth. Some studies have demonstrated that tea is beneficial to oral health by preventing cavities and periodontal disease when drinking a cup or two between meals. Tea can prevent the formation of the sticky-like material that binds plaque to teeth.

There's more information about white tea and its benefits to oral health in this article from msnbc.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3079355/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yay! More reasons to drink tea! Very Happy

Septembergirl wrote:

White tea, and tea in general, can actually prevent staining on teeth. Some studies have demonstrated that tea is beneficial to oral health by preventing cavities and periodontal disease when drinking a cup or two between meals. Tea can prevent the formation of the sticky-like material that binds plaque to teeth.

There's more information about white tea and its benefits to oral health in this article from msnbc.com.

Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I saw a piece about the Crest Pro-Health Rinse on the Today Show a few months ago, coincidentally enough while having my teeth cleaned at the dentist! As I don't use the product, I didn't think much about it, but passed the info on to my parents who use it regularly. My mom asked the dentist about it the next time she was there and was told that if you've been using the product and haven't had a problem with stained teeth, that you should be fine.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
That's so scary. How could they not have caught that in clinical trials?
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Is it only the rinse or the toothpaste too?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
autumn95 wrote:

Now I know why.

Thanks for this post.

I have only read that tea can help neutralise the pH in the mouth and its astringency will kill bacteria to some extent, but the polyphenols in tea can yellow teeth (as in overall dullness not acute staining)
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Eww! Whats the point in using the mouthwash if its just going to make your teeth brown. I read this and promptly went to my bathroom and tossed the remaining bit of this vile substance. Goodbye Pro-Health - welcome back Listerine. I always liked the burning sensation anyway... Smile
tuningmyheart
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Wow- I started using this about a month ago- will not buy again. I've not noticed any staining, but do not even want to go there. Interesting that the bottle of rinse makes no mention of staining but the toothpaste does and I quote from the tube: "Products containing stannous flouride may produce surface staining of the teeth. adequate toothbrushing may prevent these stains which are not harmful or permanent and may be removed by your dentist. this Crest is specially formulated to help prevent staining."

Like many others I think I will go back to the listerine- never had a problem after many years, but this new crest line sounded so good for you....

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I used this once and the next day my mouth and gums were throbbing and irritated! My dental hygenist was not sure if it was an allergic reaction .
I will be throwing mine out asap, I don't even know why I kept it. Very Happy
sueqlew
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
WOW! I have been using this for months and just recently noticed brown staining between my teeth at the gum line. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this to my attention!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |